Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Steve Spurrier gives luke warm assessment of Clowney's work ethic

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Steve Spurrier gives luke warm assessment of Clowney's work ethic

Say what you want, but a guy with the physical ability we know Clowney has, with a "pretty good" work ethic, sounds like a perennial pro-bowler to me.
    sosa39rams likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Say what you want, but a guy with the physical ability we know Clowney has, with a "pretty good" work ethic, sounds like a perennial pro-bowler to me.
    How many other "physical freaks" have come into the league only to flame out due to work ethic/ability to learn? Seems like every year at least one player skyrockets up the boards due to a mind-boggling workout at the combine, and then flames out because at the end of the day, they don't have the desire to really sit down and treat football like a job and/or they actually aren't good football players.

Vernon Gholston comes to mind. He impressed people with his workout, a lot of people, and was widely considered the best pass rusher in his draft. Here's an excerpt from a scouting report I found on NFL.com about him

Blessed with incredible speed (clocked at 4.56 in the 40-yard dash), long limbs and superb strength, Gholston is the prototype pass rusher that professional teams look for -- big, fast, strong and explosive. An avid performer in the weight room, he boasted the best bench press on the team at 455 pounds. He also put on an impressive performance for teammates, squatting 405 pounds 20 times.

How Gholston was lured into football will one day make a nice story, if he becomes the legendary pass rusher many personnel experts are predicting.
    My understanding of why Gholston flamed out was, in part, because he lacked the on-field effort to take advantage of his physical abilities. In college, he could get by on pure athleticism, even at not 100% speed, because he was so much faster than 90-95% of the people out there. In the pros, that doesn't cut it. Everyone is strong and fast, and you don't get to blow around second rate college linemen who couldn't even make a practice squad in the NFL.

Will that be Clowney? Beats me, that's for the NFL personnel to know. But it'd be foolish to dismiss work ethic concerns by saying that he's so physically gifted it won't matter. It will matter.
    Randart likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    How many other "physical freaks" have come into the league only to flame out due to work ethic/ability to learn? Seems like every year at least one player skyrockets up the boards due to a mind-boggling workout at the combine, and then flames out because at the end of the day, they don't have the desire to really sit down and treat football like a job and/or they actually aren't good football players.

Vernon Gholston comes to mind. He impressed people with his workout, a lot of people, and was widely considered the best pass rusher in his draft. Here's an excerpt from a scouting report I found on NFL.com about him

My understanding of why Gholston flamed out was, in part, because he lacked the on-field effort to take advantage of his physical abilities. In college, he could get by on pure athleticism, even at not 100% speed, because he was so much faster than 90-95% of the people out there. In the pros, that doesn't cut it. Everyone is strong and fast, and you don't get to blow around second rate college linemen who couldn't even make a practice squad in the NFL.

Will that be Clowney? Beats me, that's for the NFL personnel to know. But it'd be foolish to dismiss work ethic concerns by saying that he's so physically gifted it won't matter. It will matter.
    The problem with Gholston was that in the pros he was too small to play DE yet not skilled enough to play OLB… he was a classic tweener coming out of college.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Clowney was asked about Spurrier's comments while at the podium today, and his response was basically...

sosa39rams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

He smirked, and continued to say "Well it's just someone's opinion".

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He smirked, and continued to say "Well it's just someone's opinion".
    That's essentially all he can say in that spot. He certainly can't agree with Spurrier, and saying anything more risks coming off as trashing your former coach. I thought he handled the question well.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's essentially all he can say in that spot. He certainly can't agree with Spurrier, and saying anything more risks coming off as trashing your former coach. I thought he handled the question well.
    Yup. Was really his only choice as an answer.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

He also said to be fair to the kid, go look at the practice tape. I worked hard, and thats what he plans to tell teams. He also said we won a lot of games. Spurrier did say he had to slow him down at times in practice.

Spurrier, not really known foe his work ethic, I think he is the one that said NFL coaches work to hard and I plan on golfing a lot.

This is the guy who quit on his NFL team.

Spurrier had even less success in the NFL, suffering through two losing seasons with the Washington Redskins. He was 7-9 in 2002 and 5-11 in 2003 before resigning and walking away from a five-year, $25 million contract that made him the highest-paid coach in the NFL.
    If Clowney is a lazy bum and is not likely to be the Jerry Rice of the NFL when it come to wanting to be the best of the best, does Spurrier need to throw the kid under the bus like that? I would think twice before I sign to play for him.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-22-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    The problem with Gholston was that in the pros he was too small to play DE yet not skilled enough to play OLB… he was a classic tweener coming out of college.
    So Jadeveon Clowney at 6'5" and 266 pounds has a significant advantage over the 6'3" 266 pounds Gholston in terms of height/weight? (Combine weigh-ins for both). I'm sure the two inches will help Clowney in some aspects of the game, but he's not lightyears ahead of Gholston in terms of overall size. Another example of DE without a 290 pound weigh in at the combine:

Robert Quinn: 6'4", 265 pounds

There have been other guys, Robert Mathis, who enter without ideal weight for DE. In either case, he was not too small or too big for a pass-rushing OLB in a 3-4 system. So in reality, Gholston was not physically unable to play in the NFL. He very much could. I think you admit as much when you say he wasn't skilled enough to play OLB

...Except that was exactly my point. Gholston looked great in college because his pure athleticism won the day. Those second rate college linemen couldn't contain him, he was too strong and fast. Once he hit the NFL, the other guys were just as strong and fast and suddenly he couldn't rely JUST on athleticism to get the job done.

That does NOT mean Clowney will fail in the NFL. It is merely an example, among others you can find, of players who could not be perennial pro bowlers on physical talent alone. You need something more, and often times that's the work ethic to succeed.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Gholston did not put up the numbers in his college career that Clowney did not even close.

Gholston 22 sacks and 85 tackles no FF. Clowney 45 sacks and 130 tackles 9 FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Gholston did not put up the numbers in his college career that Clowney did not even close.

Gholston 22 sacks and 85 tackles no FF. Clowney 45 sacks and 130 tackles 9 FF.
    Point taken, but he was also still a top 10 pick, and a guy some Rams fans wanted over Chris Long. Most pundits agreed he was the top pass rusher in the draft, and even if the Jets hadn't taken him, he wasn't going to last much longer. I'm not going to re-iterate all my points except to say, physical talent alone wasn't enough for him to succeed, and the same will be true for Clowney, but I, thankfully, am not the person who has to decide if he has that drive.

First of all, if you have an opinion on something I said, then you will need to address what I said.

You will not make up your own commentary and then try to attribute it to me.

Nowhere in my original post in this thread, did I say anything even remotely close to, "he's so physically gifted, that his work ethic won't matter".

Here's what I actually said, "a guy with the physical ability we know Clowney has, with a pretty good work ethic, sounds like a perrenial pro-bowler to me".

And I stand wholeheartedly behind that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    First of all, if you have an opinion on something I said, then you will need to address what I said.

You will not make up your own commentary and then try to attribute it to me.

Nowhere in my original post in this thread, did I say anything even remotely close to, "he's so physically gifted, that his work ethic won't matter".

Here's what I actually said, "a guy with the physical ability we know Clowney has, with a pretty good work ethic, sounds like a perrenial pro-bowler to me".

And I stand wholeheartedly behind that statement.
    I believe I did address what you said, which is very slightly different from your own quote above. You said:

In that one, you put "pretty good" in quotes, which to me implied that you were ok with some slack, because you believed his physical gifts would make up for. If I was wrong, you could just say that isn't what you meant, instead of making it personal and scolding me for putting words in your mouth.

And in the end I agree. I didn't say it in specific words, but I think my posts have generally been that if Clowney has even a pretty good work ethic, he will succeed. It doesn't need to be perfect, he doesn't need to have a Peyton Manning work ethic to stick in the NFL.

So what are we arguing about?

I believe I did address what you said, which is very slightly different from your own quote above. You said:

In that one, you put "pretty good" in quotes, which to me implied that you were ok with some slack, because you believed his physical gifts would make up for. If I was wrong, you could just say that isn't what you meant, instead of making it personal and scolding me for putting words in your mouth.

And in the end I agree. I didn't say it in specific words, but I think my posts have generally been that if Clowney has even a pretty good work ethic, he will succeed. It doesn't need to be perfect, he doesn't need to have a Peyton Manning work ethic to stick in the NFL.

So what are we arguing about?
    Apologies to you if you felt scolded, just wanted to be accurately quoted.

We're not arguing, just exchanging opinions.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

When Steve Spurrier was coaching WAS he was trashed by the media for his work ethic, or lack thereof (loose undisciplined practices, huge ego, cutting practice short to go golfing, etc.)… him commenting on Clowney's work ethic is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12