throwback week



Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,868
    Rep Power
    154

    Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Scott Wright has described him as potentially being the best true strong side linebacker in this draft, and he's someone the Rams should be keeping an eye on. Bradley measured in at 6'3" and 256 pounds, and every indication is that he's been helping his stock this week at the Senior Bowl. Bradley consistently gets through blockers and has been surprisingly effective in coverage, both in his anticipation of routes as well as his ability to stay with 'backs and tight ends. Prior to these workouts I looked at him as an early Day Two guy, maybe borderline first day. But if he continues to impress, I think he could very well solidify a spot on Day One of this draft.


  2. #2
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,114
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Scott Wright has described him as potentially being the best true strong side linebacker in this draft, and he's someone the Rams should be keeping an eye on. Bradley measured in at 6'3" and 256 pounds, and every indication is that he's been helping his stock this week at the Senior Bowl. Bradley consistently gets through blockers and has been surprisingly effective in coverage, both in his anticipation of routes as well as his ability to stay with 'backs and tight ends. Prior to these workouts I looked at him as an early Day Two guy, maybe borderline first day. But if he continues to impress, I think he could very well solidify a spot on Day One of this draft.
    You see this is precisely my issue with everyone's excitement over picking L. Timmons at #13. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mr. Timmons just weigh in the 230LB range? Folks this is roughly the same weight as Pisa and nobody wants to move him to SLB anytime soon. Why then are we wanting to select Timmons and project him to play SLB when he will be likely over-matched on many plays? I mean at least B. Chillar already weighs in the 250# range and according to what has NOT been said by the coaching staff, is apparently doing the job satisfactorily enough. As I've stated frequently before, the Rams are not going to take a LB at 13 in this draft. If we needed a WLB it could possibly be different; but not now with Pisa signing a long-term deal. Actually a guy like S. Bradley makes a lot more sense later on in the draft. Let's use our first round pick on somebody that is worth it.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  3. #3
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,868
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    You see this is precisely my issue with everyone's excitement over picking L. Timmons at #13. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mr. Timmons just weigh in the 230LB range? Folks this is roughly the same weight as Pisa and nobody wants to move him to SLB anytime soon. Why then are we wanting to select Timmons and project him to play SLB when he will be likely over-matched on many plays?
    Because weight, though an important factor, isn't the be all and end all of the strong side position? Because he's 6'3" and only 20 years old, meaning he could add some more weight and strength as he matures? Because he has the athleticism to keep up with running backs and tight ends in coverage? Because he the quickness and agility to get by blocks at the line to make plays in the backfield? Because he excels as a blitzer? Because his linebacker coach at Florida State is quoted as saying, "Lawrence is a SAM all the way?"

    Any of those strike your fancy?

  4. #4
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,114
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Because weight, though an important factor, isn't the be all and end all of the strong side position? Because he's 6'3" and only 20 years old, meaning he could add some more weight and strength as he matures? Because he has the athleticism to keep up with running backs and tight ends in coverage? Because he the quickness and agility to get by blocks at the line to make plays in the backfield? Because he excels as a blitzer? Because his linebacker coach at Florida State is quoted as saying, "Lawrence is a SAM all the way?"

    Any of those strike your fancy?
    Well...gee... sounds like you just described Pisa himself. Why don't we just move him to SLB and go find another WLB then? Besides at age 20 I wonder how long we have to wait for this guy to add "weight and strength"? Hopefully sometime before his contract runs out. Anyway, there is no doubt L. Timmons has talent; but sounds like he would make a better weak side than strong LB at this point in time. Oh and by the way, his coach saying that he is a "SAM all the way" really has no bearing in that he, like most college coaches, was probably referring to a College SAM LB as that is his perspective and he most likely knows little about the NFL game.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  5. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,868
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Anyway, there is no doubt L. Timmons has talent; but sounds like he would make a better weak side than strong LB at this point in time.
    Well, I disagree then. I think his combination of size, speed, and athleticism make him an excellent fit on the strong side. He could likely excel at both positions, really. But I'm not sure I see anything to suggest he's going to be limited to the weak side only. Can you elaborate on why you think that is?


    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Oh and by the way, his coach saying that he is a "SAM all the way" really has no bearing in that he, like most college coaches, was probably referring to a College SAM LB as that is his perspective and he most likely knows little about the NFL game.
    Considering Florida State's linebackers coach is Kevin Steele, who worked in the same position for the Carolina Panthers from 1995-1998, a time frame that included playoff experience, I would think he knows quite a bit about the NFL game.

  6. #6
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    What round do you think Bradley will go in? I would prefer to draft a lb later and draft defensive lineman with our first two picks. Chillar although not a stud seems at least serviceable for now and we you never know our linebackers could all turn out to be studs if we get a huge dt so they don't have to shed so many blockers.

  7. #7
    onslaught11 Guest

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Stewart Bradley, wasn't he voted the ugliest player in the 2007 draft.

    Looking at his mug shot, he is pretty damn ugly!!

  8. #8
    Country Guest

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    I like Bradley but I worry about having a guy making a position change contribute right away.

    I think the guy the Rams should be looking at is H.B Blades. Despite being short he is exactly what the Rams need. He is tougha nd durable and stuffs the run.

  9. #9
    Rams99 Guest

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    I want to get Paul Posluszny thats it....

  10. #10
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,868
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    What round do you think Bradley will go in?
    Check out the end of my first post.


    Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I like Bradley but I worry about having a guy making a position change contribute right away.
    What position change are you talking about? He has experience at Mike and defensive end, but if I recall correctly, Bradley took over as a SAM linebacker in 2004. Maybe I'm not looking at the most accurate information though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I think the guy the Rams should be looking at is H.B Blades. Despite being short he is exactly what the Rams need. He is tougha nd durable and stuffs the run.
    How is a prospect who measured in as under 6' tall exactly what the Rams need at the SAM position? I really disagree with that, regardless of how well he stuffs the run. Blades isn't exactly stellar in coverage either, so we'd be getting a player that in effect we could never ask to cover a tight end.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rams99 View Post
    I want to get Paul Posluszny thats it....
    Doesn't strike me as a very good SAM prospect, honestly. I think he operates better in the open field where he doesn't have to deal with blockers and getting through traffic.

  11. #11
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    Well, I'm not Nick, but FWIW, I think Bradley falls into a category with David Harris, Tank Tyler, and Manuel Ramirez as an individual who could contribute early without costing us a 1st round pick
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  12. #12
    keith m. klink Guest

    Re: Stewart Bradley (LB, Nebraska)

    well i like bradley , great size , tough kid . the only yank on this kid is speed. you have posluszny-4.65 , timmons - 4.65 , beason -4.55 , but bradley is in at 4.80 . now i myself think the speed game is important, but if you can't tackle ? i like the idea of a lb in the 4th or one of our 2 5th round choices. i like prescott burgess , and dallas sartz also .all three have great size and good enough speed , we drafted mcgarrigle last year, and he is stil learning and doing well i believe, and he is slow, but great instincts and heart.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •