Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Suh on sports science

Ha, wouldn't you know it. I don't read much of the local newspapers when I'm here in the NW so I just found out that Suh's High School is about an arm's length from me (okay, here in Oregon).

A local boy-wonder, presumably making it big -- this time -- in the NFL!

Aaaaaaargh! Suh ... Bradford ... [Uh, oh. Those are Sam Bradford's initials, as in Super Bowl.]

Well, I also just saw this from CornNation /SB Nation:

The Alternative Names of Ndamukong Suh
    by Cobby on Nov 30, 2009 11:38 PM CST in Cobby -

Blatantly stolen...er... inspired by Orson at EDSBS, we present a list of alternative names for Ndamukong Suh, not because we're tired of hearing his name, but because it'll be easier for pansy-ass announcers too intimidated to pronounce Ndamukong. You know who you are.

And since we're not nearly as witty as that Swindle guy (or we'd come up with our own material), we're staying under 29, because it's darned hard coming up with Cameroonian-influenced names (so we mostly didn't try):

Crunch Colthead

Bang Legsnap

Runemdown Fastsmash

Rockhard Anklebend

Fulfulde Bodyslam

Forcefumblesack Pow

TisSadly Noholdingcalls

Kodiak Squashurass

House Hardtomove

Runover Dathawkinsdude

Bamileke Slamileke

Spearthump Beefkill

Boom Bullrush

Gutwrench Kickblock

Stud Thunderclap

Ewondo Sockettear

Awestruck Hornsblood

Drumbeat Steelbuns

Bonebreak Thistysquish

and last, but certainly not least: BronkoLombardiOutlandBednarik Guy.
    This 2010 NFL Draft has got to be one of the toughest in Rams history.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-13-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Ram. Tyop.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Suh on sports science

Hey, BTW, if there are any Johnny Cash fans that really enjoyed his 'A Boy Named Sue' hit, you might like 'A Man Named Suh' on YouTube. Well made by Nebraska people.

"My name is Suh! How do you do!?! ...Now you're gonna cry!"

TakeSuh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hey, BTW, if there are any Johnny Cash fans that really enjoyed his 'A Boy Named Sue' hit, you might like 'A Man Named Suh' on YouTube. Well made by Nebraska people.

"My name is Suh! How do you do!?! ...Now you're gonna cry!"
    i know about this song i was a fourth generation when i went to the university of Nebraska (Lincoln), and the people who made this are the kids of my nextdoor neighbor, (how ironic is that?)

TakeSuh Guest

TakeSuh Guest

YouTube - Ndamukong Suh Tribute
    my god i hope we take suh

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    The year is 1984. and there was a team with a similiar question. Need vs cant miss talent. Portland was probably having the same thoughts...humm we know he is the best player available , but we need a center. Cant win in the NBA without a center. Well we all know how that played out. Fast forward to now and the NFL draft. We have a chance to draft a can't miss and we are passing over the best player available to get an oft hurt, Stoops trained (See Jason White career), spread offense qb who isnt even a consensus at the top of every experts qb board. And by many accounts is not the most 'NFL' ready qb coming out. Are we really going to draft Bradford....the answer is yes we are. Come on Sam Bowie...you are our future. And as I have heard for most of the past 2 years...Same old Rams.
    If you want to get technical, not everyone has Suh as the #1 DT in the draft either. I know, I just spoke Suh blasphemy. Also, basketball is entirely different. This argument makes no sense. What about when the idiot Texans made the worst move ever by passing up a sure-fire hall of fame running back for a DE? I think Suh looks pretty good, but man, at least wait until he has played a down of NFL football before comparing passing on him to passing on Michael Freaking Jordan. Yikes.

No such thing as a can't miss prospect. ever.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

The analogy was to show the thought process of a organization in making the decision between Need vs BPA. And btw... are you on crack?...Reggie Bush hall of fame????...He is not even an every down back ( I think the term is situational back). And agreed there are no sure things...But a player whose pocket presence put him in traction for most of his senior year doesn't feel like the right direction. If the direction has to be qb...I would rather take Clausen. By all accounts, he is the most NFL ready qb. The only problem with him is he may have reached his ceiling where Bradford can obviously improve. I do know this, Detroit will take about 5 seconds to make that 2nd pick an it will have 3 letters on it.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think if we take any of those guys, AJ Feeley is going to be starting a fair few games at the start of the season while they get adjusted. Not what the team needs to be honest!
    I think if we take QB Sam bradford it would be the same as anyone of those QB's. He hasn't played in awhile and came from a spread offence also.
    I would rather start QB Null before AJ Feely. Let him start with the first unit all off season conditioning and preseason. Let him get all the snaps with the first unit. Not just carrying a clipboard. I think he did good with what he had at the end of the season. Bolar couldn't take it thats why he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post
    The analogy was to show the thought process of a organization in making the decision between Need vs BPA. And btw... are you on crack?...Reggie Bush hall of fame????...He is not even an every down back ( I think the term is situational back). And agreed there are no sure things...But a player whose pocket presence put him in traction for most of his senior year doesn't feel like the right direction. If the direction has to be qb...I would rather take Clausen. By all accounts, he is the most NFL ready qb. The only problem with him is he may have reached his ceiling where Bradford can obviously improve. I do know this, Detroit will take about 5 seconds to make that 2nd pick an it will have 3 letters on it.
    Ha, duh on Bush, he is far from a starting player. My point was to show that just because a player is hyped beyond belief before he is drafted doesn't make him a star. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE called the Texans stupid for passing on such an amazing talent, and clearly the BPA, to draft for a need. Turns out, Bush is a backup and Williams is a great DE. I just made the opposite example of drafting for need working where drafting the "BPA" would have been a mistake. And make no mistake, everyone thought Bush was by far the BPA.

svh01 is offline Registered User

I personally think we should take Suh. The blueprint for quickly turning around a team is generally with Defense. Recent examples are the Dolphins and the Jets good defenses with with run oriented offenses. Neither team has spectacular play at QB. Same with the Giants, where Spags came from. Eli is solid but not great. We have a top 3 RB so we have the running game. If we solidify the D line to get a push up front, it makes the rest of the D better.

We can pick McCoy in the 2nd or trade a 4th for Campbell and win 4 to 5 games next season.
    Last edited by svh01; -04-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.

#39 Fan Guest

Thumbs up Re: Suh on sports science

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    If you want to get technical, not everyone has Suh as the #1 DT in the draft either.
    Who!?! What credible source has a DT over Suh? None that I can find. Most draft boards have Suh as the Best Player Overall, so how does any other DT come in higher ranked pre-draft?

McCoy over Suh? Pffft.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I just made the opposite example of drafting for need working where drafting the "BPA" would have been a mistake.
    Of course, we could also discuss the 2007 draft, where the Raiders passed on the best player available (Calvin Johnson) to take a player at a position of need (JaMarcus Russell) and it was a colossal mistake.

I'm sure if we wanted to have a discussion where we listed as many examples we could find where teams have done either (drafted BPA or drafted need) and it didn't work out, both sides could come up with a solid list. If one of the two strategies was foolproof, then every team would use it.

Rather than the individual successes and failures of each, I think the more significant question being raised becomes which strategy is best for the Rams in this instance. We obviously have no idea how NFL teams have stacked their board or graded these prospects, but I've seen few if any rankings by pundits online that grade Bradford as the best player in this draft, let alone grade him ahead of Suh.

So, do the Rams draft the best player available (Suh by many accounts) or do they draft the player at the biggest position of need (Bradford, the quarterback)? All indications are they're going for the latter, so only time will tell if the decision more closely resembles the Williams/Bush result or the Russell/Johnson one.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Who!?! What credible source has a DT over Suh? None that I can find. Most draft boards have Suh as the Best Player Overall, so how does any other DT come in higher ranked pre-draft?

McCoy over Suh? Pffft.
    Define credible. Scouts Inc. has McCoy as better. Is some internet fanboy's draft board better?
    Last edited by berg8309; -04-14-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If one of the two strategies was foolproof, then every team would use it.
    That was actually pretty much my point. It is easy to show one example and ignore everything else, I just wanted to dismiss the idea that BPA is 100% foolproof.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast