throwback week

eldfan is offline Registered User

Surprise names emerging for Rams in mock drafts

Surprise names emerging for Rams in mock drafts
    by VanRam on Jan 29, 2009 10:00 AM CST in 2009 NFL draft

The 2009 mock drafts get more and more interesting. At one point there was almost 100% consensus that the Rams would take Alabama OT Andre Smith. No more. Recently, there's been some fanciful, egghead speculation about the Rams taking future star WR Michael Crabtree, and now more and more mock drafts are starting to predict things far outside the conventional wisdom. So who are some of the surprise picks in mock draft around the internets?

LB Aaron Curry - Curry's a beast to be sure, but he's an outside LB. Does he have the skills to move inside?

QB Matt Stafford - This would surprise a few people, huh? A position of need no doubt, but probably too much of a risk for a rebuilding team that already has big QB contract on the books. Is this really Cutler part II?

OT Jason Smith - Always considered among the best OTs in the draft, only recently as this Smith started to sneak into a few top spots. I think he'll be debated as the top OT in the draft, but I'm not sure he get picked this soon.

I couldn't find any links, but I was starting to hear rumors of LB Rey Maualuga's stick rising into top 5 territory. He still has his critics who think he's not good enough in coverage, but we'll see.

:ramlogo:

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Surprise names emerging for Rams in mock drafts

People can speculate all they want, which is part of the fun. But, right now it's just that; speculation. I wouldn't be concerned with what people say "could possibly happen" right now. Maybe after free agency or the combine, but not right now.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

I too wanted Curry at #2 but have learned if he moves inside it might be in a 3-4 DF.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Here's another surprise for you - VanDesteeg DE from (MINN) 6-4 255#'s 4.75 sec. 40 time. This guy is almost unstoppable pass rusher. The only problem is he had an assalt charge against him. Just the guy I'm looking for to harass Hasselbeck!

PossumBoy9 Guest

I had Jason Smith to the Rams at #4 overall on Thanksgiving. There's nothing surprising about seeing him listed there now. The other mocks are just catching up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I couldn't find any links, but I was starting to hear rumors of LB Rey Maualuga's stick rising into top 5 territory.
    That'd be the first I've heard of it. The fact that the author couldn't find anything to cite regarding this rumor is probably a good indication that there isn't much behind it.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The name that's bugging me is Connecticut CB Darius Butler at the top of the second. I've seen him suggested as a possibility in a few mock drafts. It's not as much the player as is the position for me, but it is odd that one specific player can be so targeted.

Weddle Guest

As good as Curry is, we need an ILB right? Especially if we are moving WW back outside...

Saying that, if the guy can PLAY and is gonna be great....