Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TekeRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram

Thread: Taking Another WR: The Counter-Argument

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Taking Another WR: The Counter-Argument

The conventional wisdom is that the Rams need to add another WR. After all, while young players like Quick, Givens and Pettis may show some promise, none of them have set the world on fire as rookier (Quick, Givens) or first two years (Pettis).

But, here's the counter-argument: should they have been expected to excel that early?

Here's a stat that's worth considering:

In 2012, 18 WRs had 1,000 receiving yards or more. Of those 18, only two players (A.J. Green, Marques Colston) exceeded that benchmark as rookies. Of the others, 5 had their first 1,000 yards season in year 2, 6 in year 3, 4 in year 4, and 1 in year 5.

The average number of years before a 1,000 yard season: 2.83.

So, is it crazy for the Rams to think that their top receiver for 2013 is already on the roster and, as a result, the top draft picks should be used on other positions?

Worth thinking about.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Taking Another WR: The Counter-Argument

I believe that this sums up every argument that I've had regarding taking a wide receiver. I'm sick of taking these rookies and expecting them to play like all-pros right off the bat. It takes time to learn how to run clean crisp routes to an NFL standard and to get familiar with the enormous playbooks and with your new quarterback. Some kids get it, some just happen to fall in the right spot, and some are flashes in the pan.

That's why I've been wanting a veteran mentor who can make our whole corps better rather than just the next young guy that needs to be replaced by a new rookie next year when he doesn't put up 1200 yards and 12 TD's.
    Judaxi likes this.
    I believe!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I understand the argument and I think that the Rams do believe they have the talent at the wide-out spot. But they have no depth, if one of these guys goes down we would be in bad shape. That said we may not need to take one in the first round.
    laram0 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with have no depth, which is exactly why we need a brandon lloyd type vet on the cheap. A rookie isnt likely to provide a lot in the way of depth since the learning curve is steep at that position.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    TekeRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Knowing Les Snead's approach in the draft last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he turns a weakness into a strength again (particularly with wideouts). I'm all for strengthening our WR-corps with more draft picks.

EDIT: 2000, hooray for being with the Clan for more than 4 years!
    TekeRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    That's why I've been wanting a veteran mentor who can make our whole corps better rather than just the next young guy that needs to be replaced by a new rookie next year when he doesn't put up 1200 yards and 12 TD's.
    It would have been great to sign a receiver like Greg Jennings, but instead, we signed Cook at a more affordable price. There are only so many dollars to go around every year, and Jeff & Les are no doubt adhering to their plan.

There will likely be a few vet wr cap casualties when final cuts are made at the end of the 2013 preseason. Possibly we grab a guy then. It is really hard to know how things will shake out before the draft however. We may receive trade offers involving Saffold, during the draft - we could end up drafting Fluker, and doing a trade after the draft. With Les at the helm, you never know. Av's "Counter Argument" certainly has merit. Maybe we don't draft a receiver in April. Who knows which players Jeff & Les are really crazy about?

We could always give T.O. or Randy Moss a call, but they might not fit your "mentor" template.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If the Rams had an opportunity and passed on both Cordarelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, not only would I be highly disappointed, but I'd be shocked.

Even if the braintrust believes the top 2013 receiver is already on the roster, they couldn't possibly believe that we have something so dynamic that it warrants passing up on Austin or Patterson.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    I guaruntee we will draft a wr, in what round, idk. We only have 3 on our roster, we will probably have 5 on game day and maybe 7 or 8 through ota's and minicamp. I doubt we even pick up a vet till after the draft sometime.

I cant see us drafting an outside wr in the 1st few rounds becuase that means u take reps from quick or givens... Essentially giving up on 1 or the other. OR the outside rookie gets few reps and takes a while to develop (like quick). But I can see a slot guy getting drafted early becuase we just lost one in amendola. A guy like Tavon Austin could fit in becuase he would fill return duties and he wont need to be rushed in the slot becuase Pettis is still there, but giving him packages will keep him fresh and on the field while he still learns.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I want Marqise Lee. I agree that WR's usually take 3 years to break out, but I'm not ready to bank on Chris Givens and Brian Quick. Go get someone else (we only have 3 on the roster anyways) that we can ride or die with.

THE DREAM TEAM

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

I think the Rams should look to grab a receive in the draft, and sign a veteran to help the younger guys. Tavon Austin would be a nice addition who could potentially be a home run threat to add to an offense in desperate need of one. Then the Rams should look to sign/trade for Nate Washington depending on how things play out with him in Tennessee. Washington adds a veteran presence who has had many good years in the league. I think that a WR core of Givens/Quick/Pettis/Washington/Austin, along with Cook and Kendricks would give the Rams offense some nice play makers.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Understand... I'm not saying that I wouldn't take a WR early (I have the Rams taking Tavon Austin at #22 in my latest mock), or that they won't at least draft WR depth.

Rather, I just put those stats out there so that, if the Rams don't make WR a priority in the draft, and people start crying "MADNESS!!!" you will understand that there might be some method behind it.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The development of a wide receiver is certainly a concern. Depth is an issue at the position right now. Our RAMS seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Draft a WR or wait and see if any veteran candidates become available? I'm leaning towards the draft myself.

richtree is offline Registered User

The one thing that will seriously come into play is a sign and trade for Kenny Britt ...

Britt is on the last year of his contract and stated he 3 teams he would like to join are the Jets, Cowboys, and Rams.....He loves Fisher and after 8 games the Titans could possibly be 1-7 and making him want to run out of town.
    The thinking now is it is 50/50 Rams Cowboys where Britt will end up...I know it isn't for another year, but a sign and trade could get it done early ....

Just keep an extra ear for this if the Titans start off bad, especially when they come to visit the Rams at the dome this season....