Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Talk mounts that Bradford won't sign a pre-draft contract

Talk mounts that Bradford won't sign a pre-draft contract

Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 7:55 PM ET
    Amid reports that the Rams are talking to the agents for multiple players who could be the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, there's increasing chatter that, as to one of the players, there may not be much to discuss.

We're hearing from multiple league and media sources that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford could refuse to sign a pre-draft contract with the Rams.

In the past four drafts, the only top pick not signed in advance of the commencement of the selection process was Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell. He ultimately held out into the regular season.

If Bradford declines to agree to terms before being picked, and if the Rams ultimately don't select him, Bradford would slide to the Redskins at No. 4, at worst. (He also could end up going second or third, if a team that needs a quarterback moves up.) Operating from the four hole, Bradford likely would then attempt to invoke the so-called "quarterback premium" in the hopes of getting more than the first overall pick, just as Matt Ryan did from the third spot two years ago.

If the Rams pick Bradford without a contract in place, the leverage then flips to the player, with the Rams compelled to get the guy signed in the hopes of justifying the pick and turning around a franchise that seems far longer than a decade removed from a Super Bowl win.

We also don't rule out the Rams picking Bradford and then attempting to trade him, like the Chargers did six years ago with Eli Manning.

Either way, Adam Schefter's prediction could end up being wrong -- but not because Bradford won't be regarded as the best player in the draft. The Rams could decide that they won't take Bradford if he makes it clear that he won't sign a contract.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-29-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Talk mounts that Bradford won't sign a pre-draft contract

Please let Pro Football Talk be wrong again.

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

I saw this first on Pro Football Talk and they are about as reliable as my dog regarding NFL news. I just don't see him "not wanting to play for us" considering how friendly Bradford and Spags have seemed. It's not like he's publicly said that he won't play for the Rams like Eli did with the Chargers.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Bradford doesn't seem like the type of guy to do this--too mellow. However, even seeing a report like this really upsets me. I hope it's not true. It'd kill me to see him turn into this stud NFL QB and somehow the Rams organization screws up acquiring him or something.

-----

More from ESPN.com

From his confidence to his mechanics to the near-perfect execution, Sam Bradford looked every bit the franchise quarterback Monday, writes Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay

Bradford said he had breakfast with Spagnuolo and the Rams' offensive coaching staff before his workout. Spagnuolo and Devaney also visited with Bradford earlier in the month in Gulf Breeze, Fla., where he was rehabbing and working out. Bradford returned to Norman last week to continue his preparation for Monday's session.

The Washington Redskins, who select fourth in the draft, also have scheduled a private workout with Bradford on April 15.

Bradford said every player dreams of being picked first in the draft, but he hasn't given it much thought. And he said it would be up to the Rams whether he'd sign a deal before draft day, should they decide to draft him at No. 1.

"I don't control that. I have no clue how it's going to play out," Bradford said. "If that's how it works, then that's how it works. If not, I'll be excited to hear my name called on draft day."

Bradford admitted being nervous before the throwing session, in part because it was an unusual situation to have one receiver running a pattern at a time with no defense.

"At the end of the day, it's still just a workout," Bradford said. "I'm not going to go to the NFL and throw routes on air to guys. I'm going to have to play against a very good defense week in and week out."

----

Interesting...
    Last edited by Varg6; -03-29-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This could make our decision real easy. I like Bradford, but he missed the entire last season. He is in no position to play hard ball. Glad to hear his workout went well, though.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Signability is my least favorite thing to go to when deciding who you should pick in the first round. If we choose not to pick Bradford it better be because we have durability concerns or that Suh is heads above tails better than him, not because we can't sign him.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Not even a day past his workout and "the rumors" from unheralded sources start creeping through the internet, fantastic. Until I see a quote from Bradford, his agent, Rams officials, then I'd rather not get worried about any of this. Its silly season folks, never forget that, profootball world was also reporting that the Rams were interested in Vick along with every other news network.....still think that now?

Lets wait for something a bit more concrete shall we?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Not even a day past his workout and "the rumors" from unheralded sources start creeping through the internet, fantastic. Until I see a quote from Bradford, his agent, Rams officials, then I'd rather not get worried about any of this. Its silly season folks, never forget that, profootball world was also reporting that the Rams were interested in Vick along with every other news network.....still think that now?

Lets wait for something a bit more concrete shall we?
    Perfectly said. This is just that internet rumor "excite you for nothing" stuff.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

By Mike Florio
    Strike one.

Amid reports that the Rams are talking to the agents for multiple players who could be the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, there's increasing chatter that, as to one of the players, there may not be much to discuss.
    Define "chatter." Is that when you and the other bloggers get together and make stuff up?

We're hearing from multiple league and media sources that Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford could refuse to sign a pre-draft contract with the Rams.
    Well, of course he "could." He could refuse to play for the Rams altogether. After all, other first round picks (Elway, Everette, Eli Manning) have taken such action. But where is the evidence that there is any issue here? Certainly not in quotes from Bradford from TODAY in which he discussed with Todd McShay why the Rams should take him.

If Bradford declines to agree to terms before being picked, and if the Rams ultimately don't select him, Bradford would slide to the Redskins at No. 4, at worst. (He also could end up going second or third, if a team that needs a quarterback moves up.) Operating from the four hole, Bradford likely would then attempt to invoke the so-called "quarterback premium" in the hopes of getting more than the first overall pick, just as Matt Ryan did from the third spot two years ago.
    Quite a few "ifs" there. How about this one: if he doesn't sign before the draft, he'll probably sign after the draft.

If the Rams pick Bradford without a contract in place, the leverage then flips to the player, with the Rams compelled to get the guy signed in the hopes of justifying the pick and turning around a franchise that seems far longer than a decade removed from a Super Bowl win.
    Right, and Bradford has the choice of signing a contract or sitting out a year during which he would probably drop to a late first round pick, at best.

We also don't rule out the Rams picking Bradford and then attempting to trade him, like the Chargers did six years ago with Eli Manning.
    Yeah, if you list every possibility, you're bound to stumble on the right answer eventually. Of course, if an infinite number of monkeys typed for an infinite amount of time on an infinite number of typewriters, they'd eventually type every work of Shakespeare.

Now, here's the reality. If the Rams don't sign Bradford before the draft, and they select him anyway, he'll sign long before training camp. If you want to worry about it, go ahead, but you're wasting your time and energy.

Also... ever think that maybe someone connected or loyal to the Redskins might be dangling this story?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-29-2010 at 11:22 PM.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Strike one.

Define "chatter." Is that when you and the other bloggers get together and make stuff up?

Well, of course he "could." He could refuse to play for the Rams altogether. After all, other first round picks (Elway, Everette, Eli Manning) have taken such action. But where is the evidence that there is any issue here? Certainly not in quotes from Bradford from TODAY in which he discussed with Todd McShay why the Rams should take him.

Quite a few "ifs" there. How about this one: if he doesn't sign before the draft, he'll probably sign after the draft.

Right, and Bradford has the choice of signing a contract or sitting out a year during which he would probably drop to a late first round pick, at best.

Yeah, if you list every possibility, you're bound to stumble on the right answer eventually. Of course, if an infinite number of monkeys typed for an infinite amount of time on an infinite number of typewriters, they'd eventually type every work of Shakespeare.

Now, here's the reality. If the Rams don't sign Bradford before the draft, and they select him anyway, he'll sign long before training camp. If you want to worry about it, go ahead, but you're wasting your time and energy.

Also... ever think that maybe someone connected or loyal to the Redskins might be dangling this story?
    +1
    its amazing how people just cant think critically

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Wouldn't worry too much about this... doesn't appear to have legs.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Strike one.
    I lol'd

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Unless he has some wackjob money-grubbing cousins who start whispering in his ear a la Crabtree, I'm not sure why Bradford would resist signing with The Rams. It's not as if The Redskins, the likely landing spot after STL, are in great shape. If anything, I'd say they were on a downward slope that Shanahan & his new coaching staff with their new untried schemes will be trying to put the brakes on for a year or two. And a tougher division as well.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

If Bradford wants to wait for the Redskins to pick him at #4 It will probably cost him about 10 mill. It just dosen't make sence...

ludairv is offline Registered User

man the whole shanahan track record with Qbs, gets me thinking ...its is a better situation for him in his QB position but not necessarily a better one as an overall team....

39thebeast is offline Registered User

17 million less dollars that sounds smart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast