Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tampa Rams mid season mock draft v1.0

Tampa_Ram is online now Registered User

Tampa Rams mid season mock draft v1.0

Hello everybody, it is that time of the year again for my first mock of the season!!! Excited about???? I know you are!!!!!

Not gonna get into coaching changes or FA at this point, maybe will save those thoughts for the offseason.

So lets begin this magic show of awesomeness!!!!!!(kinda long btw)

Trades!!!! Yes i said it, TRADES!!!!!!!!!

Simple trades since mocking trades are not easy.

Trade #1 - We trade back our first pick a few slots to the Browns for their 1st and a 2nd.(They really want a blue-chip QB prospect)
    Trade #2 - We trade back our second round pick to the Jets for their 2nd and a 5th.

Simple enough right? Still with me? good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's get to the picks!!!

Louis Nix III
    Defensive Tackle
    Notre Dame
    6'3, 357 lbs

2011 - 12 solo tackles, 45 total tackles, 4.5 tackle for loss, .5 sacks, 1 pass defended,
    2012 - 20 solo tackles, 50 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 5 passes defended, 1 FF
    2013 - 11 solo tackles, 27 total tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 2 passes defended
    (missed two games), 2 QB hurries

Nix is an elite run-stuffer who has the quickness, strength and athleticism to also be a disruptive force and is the best defensive tackle prospect in the 2014 NFL draft. He has extremely rare burst off of the ball and is very strong. You will not see him slow down on a play regardless if the play appears to be dead which is very important. Nix is also very versatile despite being a hefty 357 lbs. He can play, and be very productive in either a 3-4 or 4-3. He is not strictly a nose tackle. If there is one negative you could take away from Louis Nix it would be his angles. He sometimes loses the play and is left chasing back for it. The fact that a 342 pound man is chasing after plays may tell you more good things then bad about him. Louis Nix III will be a day one starter. Expect big things from him at the next level.

Jason Verrett
    Cornerback
    Texas Christian University(TCU)
    5'10, 176 lbs

<b>

2011 - 40 solo tackles, 58 total tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 int, 5 passes defended
    2012 - 46 solo tackles, 63 total tackles, 5 TFL, 6 int's, 22 passes defended
    2013 - 30 solo tackles, 38 total tackles, 3.5 TFL, 2 int's, 12 passes defended, 1FF

Jason Verrett might not have great size or bulk, but heís an exceptional athlete who features top-notch instincts. Verrett is so fluid with his movements that receivers have a difficult time creating separation. His impact on the game is enhanced by his excellent ball skills which helps him generate turnovers.
    The thing I love the most about Verrett is how he can shut down a receiver in every aspect of the game. His explosiveness allows him to quickly close on short routes like slants, outs and comebacks. While his ball skills and long speed to help him protect the deep part of the field.
    Despite his small stature, Verrett isnít afraid to play physical. Heís aggressive versus the run and will take on bigger running backs as they approach.

One of 15 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe award.

Denzel Perryman
    Linebacker
    University of Miami
    6'0, 243 lbs

Watch this vid!!!!!

2011 - 47 solo tackles, 69 total tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 2 FF
    2012 - 45 solo tackles, 64 total tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 1 int, 1 td, 1 FF
    2013 - 55 solo tackles, 91 total tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 3 passes broken up, 1 FF

Perryman is one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft. He is a ferocious hitting, tackling machine with great instincts and a non stop motor. Although has played moslty at ILB, he has the skills to play OLB as well. Tremendous against the run with great vision of breaking down the play, is also no slouche in coverage. UM has churned out many great linebackers over the years, and Perryman is next in line. If the Rams feel RayRay will eventually be Dunbars replacement, then this won't be the pick, but if they think RayRay won't ever be a true starter, then this guy is my choice hands down.

Calvin Pryor
    Safety
    Louisville
    6'2, 208 lbs

2011 - 31 solo tackles, 43 total tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 2 int's, 7 passes defended, 2 FF
    2012 - 52 solo tackles, 100 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 2 int's 5 FF
    2013 - 40 solo tackles, 57 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 4 passes broken up, 3 int's, 2 FF

Pryor is another prospect i really love. His game against Rutgers was better than any i had seen from Clinton-Dix, and i watched every video i could find from both players. His game against Rutgers was the best he has played, and shows the potential he has and plays he can make. Pryor might declare or might stay in school. There was a rumor earlier in the year he was going to declare, though if he stayed for another year would have a good chance of being a first rounder next year. I originally him going in the 3rd round, but i think he will be a 2nd now IMO.

Pryor is a hard hiting, ballhawking free safety who would give us a great and fierce safety tandem.

One of 15 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe award.

Morgan Moses
    Offensive Tackle
    Virginia
    6'6, 325 lbs

Has played RT most of his career but has been moved to LT this year and has played well. Can play RT for us and potentially be a LT down the road if he improves in some areas and gets stronger. Plays mean and is great in run blocking, he also is no slouch in pass protection. With coaching from Bordeau, he will become a great addition to our line.

Carlos Hyde
    Runningback
    Ohio State
    6'0, 242 lbs

<b>

2010 - 24 attempts, 141 yards
    2011 - 106 attempts, 566 yard, 6 td's, 10 receptions, 73 yards
    2012 - 185 attempts, 970 yards, 8 td's, 8 receptions, 51 yards, 1 td
    2013 - 120 attempts, 947 yards, 11 td's, 10 receptions, 90 yards, 2 td
    *suspended first 3 weeks of 2013

Hyde was suspended the first 3 games of the season for conduct not representative of this football program. He is a big bruiser who has speed as well. Since he has come back from the suspension has been an absolute beast. Paired with Stacy and Richardson, our once weak runningback group becomes complete. Hs been rumored that he runs a sub 4.5, and given his wieght, that is pretty dang good. Has yet to be tackled behind the line of scrimmage this season. Last week he ran for 246 yards on 24 attempts and had 4 td's. He is beasting is up greatly and probably won't be there in the 4th at this rate, but im going to hold out hope.

Spencer Long
    Offensive Guard
    Nebraska
    6'4, 315 lbs

Heavily decorated guard who was a walk on but started every game his sophomore and junior seasons and every game this year till injury. Plays mean and great in run blocking. A big nasty to take up a guard slot. Also would give us yet another Long, can never have to many of those!!!!!

*Suffered knee injury in October and will be out for the rest of the month

Jeff Janis
    Wide Receiver
    Saginaw Valley State
    6'3, 218 lbs

2012 - 92 receptions, 1,635 reception yards, 17 td's
    2013 - 68 receptions, 1,419 reception yards, 14 td's

We have Black lightning, we have white thunder, now we have.....White Lightning. Reportably runs a 4.3!!!! Can compete with our wr corp and push for a slot. Tall speedster who i think can make the roster, but not sure if we cut someone or go with 6 wr's. Still like him and want to draft him.

Scouting Reports -

Chuckie Keeton
    Quarterback
    Utah State
    6'2, 200 lbs

2011 - 106/174, 60.9%, 1,200 yards, 11 td's, 2 int's
    68 rushing attempts, 293 yards, 4 td's
    2012 - 275/407, 67.6%, 3373 yards, 27 td's, 9 int's
    129 rushing attempts, 619 yards, 8 td's
    2013 - 136/196, 69.4%, 1388 yards, 18 td's, 2 int's
    55 rushing attempts, 241 yards, 2 td's

*tore ACL in first half of 6th game of 2013 season.(early October)

Keeton had played himself up to the 3rd round grade before he tore his ACL in early October. He is a duel threat QB but doesn't look to run first. Keeton has showing toughness, impeccable instincts and the arm talent to put the ball on a line to his targets all over the field. While he hasn't lit up elite competition, his quarterbacking traits are top of the line. A mobile gunslinger is what i see. I like the idea of having a back-up who is mobile and can pass down the field, i also think he the potential for more if it ever came down to it down the road. Could stand to put on some wieght, but i doubt that'll be a problem.

Mason Walters
    Offensive Guard
    Texas
    6'5, 320 lbs

Plays angry and is great in the run and good at pass protection. Good depth.

Well thats my picks!!! Since can't post links here, i'd recomend looking up all of there scouting reports if any intrigue you.

*Other prospects i really like and have had in my mock before i finalized it with the current prospects-
    Odell Beckham Jr. WR, LSU
    Melvin Gordon RB, Wisconsin
    Pierre Desir CB, Lindenwood
    Antone Exum S/CB, VT
    Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB, Nebraska
    Marcus Williams CB, North Dakota
    Haha Clinton-Dix S, ALA
    Dion Bailey S, USC
    Nickoe Whitley S, Miss St.
    Deone Bucanon S, Washington
    James Hurst OT, UNC
    Jack Mewhort OT, Ohio State
    Seantrel Henderson, OT, UM
    Bryce Petty QB, Baylor

I know some really want Jake Mathews in the 1st, and i would like him as well, but until Fisher changes his draft history, i won't be mocking a Tackle before the 2nd round. Also, after looking up all of Fisher's drafts, i saw that he has never drafted a Guard before the 5th, so that factored into my decision making as well.

Well there you go fella's. Let me know what you think!!!! I spend a lot of time evaluating prospects and finding pieces i think would benefit the Rams the most. Hope you enjoyed!!!!!! Dont forget to let me know if i suck or not or what you like or what you hate.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tampa Rams mid season mock draft v1.0

I like it overall. You certainly covered the needs, and I'm a big fan of Perryman as well.

Jason Verrett's size does concern me. I think we need a bigger guy who can hold up in press coverage against the bigger WRs.

Not sure on Hyde, either, but I'm not opposed to a mid-round selection on a RB.

Good job!
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like it overall. You certainly covered the needs, and I'm a big fan of Perryman as well.

Jason Verrett's size does concern me. I think we need a bigger guy who can hold up in press coverage against the bigger WRs.

Not sure on Hyde, either, but I'm not opposed to a mid-round selection on a RB.

Good job!
    Thanks Av!

I agree with you on Verrett, i just feel that if we are going with a 1st round CB, he is the best right now IMO. My favorite CB in the draft is actually Pierre Desir, but i had a hard time working him into the 3rd round and think we are going to grab a CB in the 1st anyway.

There are quite a few nice mid round RB's i wouldnt mind having, i just like Hyde personally in that round. I love Melvin Gordon, but don't want to waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who won't get a whole lot of snaps with Stacy leading the way.

p.s. Glad i'm not the only one high on Perryman. He is a beast!!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Tampa,

I like your picks and the trades also but there just ain't no way the Rams are going all defense with the first 4 picks.

Heck, I'm all but certain they will go both offense and defense just in the first round, or defense/offense but next to no way all on one side of the ball.

Have to agree with Avenger on Verrett. Good kid and all but really gotta believe that Fish is wanting bigger CBs to play press and to help in the run game.

Overall though a good job! Keep 'em coming!

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Tampa,

I like your picks and the trades also but there just ain't no way the Rams are going all defense with the first 4 picks.

Heck, I'm all but certain they will go both offense and defense just in the first round, or defense/offense but next to no way all on one side of the ball.

Have to agree with Avenger on Verrett. Good kid and all but really gotta believe that Fish is wanting bigger CBs to play press and to help in the run game.

Overall though a good job! Keep 'em coming!

WHAT SAY YE?

You are probably right they won't go 4 straight on defense, didn't even notice that lol.

As for Verrett, as i said he is my favorite 1st round prospect at this time. Also, he is the same height as Jenkins, but does need to add some weight. I would have no problem getting a bigger back though, i actually prefer it, but this is just how it worked out right now.

Thanks for the props and opinions

Well dang.....

Of course i post my mock an hour before i see this...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...me-dl-louis-nix-knee-surgery-out-for-the-year

Notre Dame nose guard Louis Nix will miss the rest of the year after undergoing surgery to repair torn meniscus in his knee, Brian Kelly announced on Thursday.

Nix missed time earlier this seaseon due to knee tendinitis, and Kelly said that meniscus damage was found as well. Instead of waiting until the offseason, Nix elected to go ahead with the surgery.

CBSSports.com currently has Nix ranked as the No. 12 overall prospect and No. 1 defensive tackle in the 2014 NFL Draft class, and both Rob Rang and Dane Brugler project him to be a first-round selection. If Nix has plans of joining the 2014 draft class, then getting this kind of surgery done before further injury is a smart career decision.

Not sure this will change much for my draft, but it might over the next few months. Oh well. Nix is still an amazing nose tackle prospect we could use.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

While Nix will probably not be ready to work out at the Combine, he should be 100% in time to have a Pro Day. Remember, the draft is a bit later this year (May 8-10).

punahou is offline Registered User

As of now Im not a Nix supporter......

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While Nix will probably not be ready to work out at the Combine, he should be 100% in time to have a Pro Day. Remember, the draft is a bit later this year (May 8-10).
    Had forget they moved it back, good lookin out.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Was just going to say about Nix.. But I like it. Verrett is a good and safe pick IMO. He reminds me of Stephon Gilmore from a few years ago.

Perryman is a great pick. Rounds out our LB corps and now we finally have LB depth.

I also love the Hyde pick. I think he can be an extremely productive back in the league and will be an excellent back-up to Stacy.

I will need to check out Pryor and Keeton, as I see S and QB as big needs on this team. Overall, great job Tampa!

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Was just going to say about Nix.. But I like it. Verrett is a good and safe pick IMO. He reminds me of Stephon Gilmore from a few years ago.

Perryman is a great pick. Rounds out our LB corps and now we finally have LB depth.

I also love the Hyde pick. I think he can be an extremely productive back in the league and will be an excellent back-up to Stacy.

I will need to check out Pryor and Keeton, as I see S and QB as big needs on this team. Overall, great job Tampa!
    Glad you like the picks my man!!! Definitely check out Pryor, I think he has the potential to be an absolute stud. Ketton is very good to and definitely worth a late round flyer on, have a look!!!
    sosa39rams likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nice work, Tampa!

Nix is a fine pick, makes a strength an even bigger strength.

Verrett is solid, but the size worries me. The ghost of Tye Hill might be haunting my mind (not comparing the two as prospects, just the idea of drafting a smaller CB in the mid first).

Regarding Perryman, I personally don't like spending such a high pick on someone who by the very nature of our other personnel would be a situational player. Laurinaitis is being paid like an every down linebacker, and the Rams drafted Ogletree to stay on the field. We can find a two-down LB with lesser resources, IMO.

I like the Pryor pick. Teaming him with McDonald would make for a very good, very versatile young duo IMO.

Moses is a quality Day Two selection and, depending on what happens with Barksdale and Saffold, could compete for some time right away in the line-up. I like that selection!

I don't really know if Hyde and Janis are necessary at this point. I think you can make a better case for Hyde as a back-up than Janis since Pead and Richardson haven't stood out this season, but I don't see Janis making this team unless someone from the current roster is let go. There just isn't room for someone who isn't a top-class WR.

Keeton is fine in the late rounds. I don't think I'd spend a pick on him personally, but I can see the argument.

Thanks for the read, great job!

Mikey is offline Registered User

That would definitely stock pile a lot of young talent on the defense and with proper coaching that unit would be a force for years to come.

I like what I see from Moses a lot, he's somebody that could be taken there and work his way into starting at RT and stick around in the NFL for a long time. Love that you added two guards, one to step in and start right away and one to develop for a year or two and provide depth. For too long with the Rams our depth has been older players with problems and injury histories, instead of younger players with problems

As mentioned the Nix injury will put a big question mark on his status but there are other DT options in the first.

I seriously think one of our 1st rounders will be traded down.

Also I think I would swap the picks you have for a RB and QB. I'd rather address the QB earlier with somebody who's more to Fishers offense style and more ready to step in and play. Say McCarran or Murray. I don't think Fisher will draft a dual threat type QB he see's them as injury and turnover threats.

Mikey is offline Registered User

And shortly after my comment about Murray he tears his ACL so I'd put a UDF spot on him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nice work, Tampa!

Nix is a fine pick, makes a strength an even bigger strength.

Verrett is solid, but the size worries me. The ghost of Tye Hill might be haunting my mind (not comparing the two as prospects, just the idea of drafting a smaller CB in the mid first).

Regarding Perryman, I personally don't like spending such a high pick on someone who by the very nature of our other personnel would be a situational player. Laurinaitis is being paid like an every down linebacker, and the Rams drafted Ogletree to stay on the field. We can find a two-down LB with lesser resources, IMO.

I like the Pryor pick. Teaming him with McDonald would make for a very good, very versatile young duo IMO.

Moses is a quality Day Two selection and, depending on what happens with Barksdale and Saffold, could compete for some time right away in the line-up. I like that selection!

I don't really know if Hyde and Janis are necessary at this point. I think you can make a better case for Hyde as a back-up than Janis since Pead and Richardson haven't stood out this season, but I don't see Janis making this team unless someone from the current roster is let go. There just isn't room for someone who isn't a top-class WR.

Keeton is fine in the late rounds. I don't think I'd spend a pick on him personally, but I can see the argument.

Thanks for the read, great job!

Thanks for the feedback Nick!

I understand your view on Verrett, but as i said eariler, if we go CB in round 1, i think he is the best out of them at the moment, though i am really starting to like Darqueze Dennard a lot as 2nd rounder.

As for Perryman, I think he would be a big improvement over Dunbar if RayRay isn't coming along as they hope, and Perryman is just one of my man crushes in this draft, he is an utter beast i'd love to have as a Ram.

The Hyde pick depends on how well the coaches value Trich, Pead and Benny. I think Hyde could be our true power back and such and a different kind of change of pace back. Think him and Zac and Trich would make a nice duo.

As for Janis, it all depends on if Pettis is traded or not, but i don;t mind taking a stellar small school prospect to compete with the big boys. Never know.

Keeton is just a prospect i like, we allhave our own preferences when it comes to selecting a qb in this draft.

Glad you liked it overall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast