Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By Vinnie25
  • 2 Post By Nick

Thread: Tavon Austin

Rambos is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin

Tavon Austin - WR - Player

After attending West Virginia's Pro Day on Thursday, ESPN's Ron Jaworski predicted WR Tavon Austin will be a top-15 pick.
    "This guy is absolutely lightning quick," said Jaws. "He's one of the quickest guys I've ever seen and I've been around the game since 1973. This guy just accelerates when he gets the football and, although he's a little bit diminutive, I think this guy's gonna go in the top 15." Carolina would be an intriguing landing spot at No. 14. New Panthers GM Dave Gettleman -- a former Giants exec -- could see some Victor Cruz in the versatile Austin.
    Source: 97.5 The Fanatic

After the signing of Cook, not sure he make much sense for the Rams now. Not sure who we should take now. I do think Austin will be a big time playmaker in the NFL.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Tavon Austin

To me, our need has always been at Split End, someone who can break the jam at the line and be a reliable possession, #1 receiver like Boldin, Fitzgerald, Megatron, etc. Austin doesn't fit this mold, but I absolutely see his upside. If the coaches believe that Quick can come on and start week one at SE, then I'm fine with going after Austin who is going to be a great flex guy all over the field if he stays healthy. You just won't see him on the LOS.

Now, if he does indeed go in the top 15, that means that there's one more offensive lineman or other highly rated player who drops to us at 16 or even 22. That makes me happy.
    I believe!

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I don't see why signing Cook takes Austin off the table. Everyone is saying that Cook will be a replacement for Amendola but that is not true. They are virtual opposites as players. DA is a small sure handed receiver without breakaway speed who can get open in small spaces using his great quickness and stop and start ability. Cook is a big receiver with breakaway speed with questionable hands who lacks quickness and stop and start ability and has difficulty creating separation in very small spaces.

Back on topic. All of this Austin hype is bumming me out because it appears as though he probably won't be available at 22 anymore.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I don't see why signing Cook takes Austin off the table. Everyone is saying that Cook will be a replacement for Amendola but that is not true. They are virtual opposites as players. DA is a small sure handed receiver without breakaway speed who can get open in small spaces using his great quickness and stop and start ability. Cook is a big receiver with breakaway speed with questionable hands who lacks quickness and stop and start ability and has difficulty creating separation in very small spaces.

Back on topic. All of this Austin hype is bumming me out because it appears as though he probably won't be available at 22 anymore.
    I agree they are totally different players. But the Rams are going to use Cook in the slot quite a bit. Does it make sense to a use first round pick on a player if his reps are going to be limited in his spot? Is it unrealistic to ask a rookie to come in and learn all the receiver positions so we can line him up at any position? Seems like that would be too much for a rookie to handle. Not sure if a part time slot receiver and a KR is worth that high of a pick.

Like I said I'm not sure, I really like what Austin could bring to this offense.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree they are totally different players. But the Rams are going to use Cook in the slot quite a bit. Does it make sense to a use first round pick on a player if his reps are going to be limited in his spot? Is it unrealistic to ask a rookie to come in and learn all the receiver positions so we can line him up at any position? Seems like that would be too much for a rookie to handle. Not sure if a part time slot receiver and a KR is worth that high of a pick.

Like I said I'm not sure, I really like what Austin could bring to this offense.
    Fischer and Shotty said all the receivers last year had to learn every receiver position so I don't think that is much of an issue unless we are thinking about re-signing Mardy Gilyard. Learning all the positions is just part of this offense, so if they can't do that then they shouldn't be on the team. The Patriots were able to have a pretty good offensive with Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker the last couple of years and all were able to get a good number of catches. Offenses are changing and are working over the middle a lot more so I don't see the problem of having multiple threats lining up in the slot or at TE.

We'll have to wait and see with what actually happens in FA though before we know anything about the draft.

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

The main reason I would want the Rams to draft Austin (besides his blazing speed) is his versatile. Even though he would play the majority of his time in the slot, he's also capable of lining up out wide or in the backfield. With Cook and Austin both out there, defenses would have to be on their toes because those two have the ability to line up everywhere.
    Rambos and PacFish like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

There is always room for a playmaker like Austin on any roster. He brings a dynamic that 90% of teams in the NFL lack.

His total package of speed, quickness, elusiveness, instincts, hands and vision is unmatched in this draft, and the Rams would be foolish to disregard him because they signed Jared Cook.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I don't see why signing Cook takes Austin off the table. Everyone is saying that Cook will be a replacement for Amendola but that is not true. They are virtual opposites as players.
    The argument isn't that Cook and Amendola are similar players, but that they'd line up in similar spots - the slot position. Unless the Rams move to a more wide open offense, there are only so many slot opportunities to go around. Rotoworld reported that Cook played 67% of his 2012 snaps in the slot last year, but when you narrow that down to snaps in which he ran a pass route, the number jumps up to the mid-70s for both 2012 and 2011, according to Pro Football Focus.

How much sense does it make to spend a first round pick on another player who would probably run spend 60-70% of his pass routes from the slot as well?

Maybe there's a case to be made that the Rams should turn Cook into more of an in-line player where more of his routes originate from that position, but then I think you're compromising his speed with the risk of him being jammed in traffic with a defensive lineman or outside linebacker. When it comes to Cook, we're not talking about a 260+ pound tight end who runs a 4.7; he's a 248-pound tight end who runs a sub 4.5.

I agree that you can never have too many weapons on offense, but you can have too many weapons in one role on offense. And while Austin is a very versatile player who can do a lot of things for an offense, I think the majority of his time is going to be spent in the slot position as an NFL player.

If that's where Jeff Fisher thinks Cook will primarily be working from, then I'm not sure Austin is as good a fit anymore. If Fisher has other plans for Cook and there are still plenty of slot snaps to go around, then Austin could still be an option. We'll have to wait and see how things go down.

The recent news about Austin having a work out with Carolina is pretty interesting, though. I could see him making a lot of sense for the Panthers @ 14. I'm sure a smaller receiver like Steve Smith could give Austin a lot of tips about how to be effective in the NFL at his size, and with Smith stretching the field (even at his age, Smith tied for 6th in the league in # of receptions 20 or more yards downfield last year), there should be room for a talented player to work underneath.
    Curly Horns and TekeRam like this.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

He doesn't need to play on slot only with his quickness and speed I'm not sure CB would play jam often on him... He reminds me Steve Smith (from Carolina), not as strong maybe but a small real football player.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.