Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Tavon Austin - Another Terry Metcalf?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin - Another Terry Metcalf?

One thing really scares me about Austin. He has a propensity for fumbling and muffing punts, much like the always exciting, but also heartbreaking Metcalf, who older St Louis fans will remember well from the "Cardiac Cardinals"

Do we really want a guy that fumbles a bunch, on a team expected to have lots of close games?

Just sayin'

I had heard somewhere he had 11 fumbles in college, not sure how many muffs.

Revisiting the Tavon Austin Comparables | RotoViz
    Ventesette likes this.

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    That is certainly a concern. Though many may not remember Metcalf (I do), I'm sure everyone remembers Az Hakim's fumbling issues.

Austin did handle the ball quite a bit, though (397 plays from scrimmage, 131 kick/punt returns). Perhaps some amount of fumbling is inevitable.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Tavon Austin - Another Terry Metcalf?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That is certainly a concern. Though many may not remember Metcalf (I do), I'm sure everyone remembers Az Hakim's fumbling issues.

Austin did handle the ball quite a bit, though (397 plays from scrimmage, 131 kick/punt returns). Perhaps some amount of fumbling is inevitable.
    A fumbler is definitely a concern. Hakim scared the hell out of me on every return.

That said, I'd give Austin the benefit of the doubt. He played in 52 games, had 527 touches, and from what I can find, fumbled 7 times in his college career :

Tavon Austin: Stats & Analysis on TeamRankings.com

I'm more concerned with his size and ability to take NFL punishment, although he never missed a game in 4 years at West Virginia.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Excellent! That is a name I throw around that nobody remembers. Have these kids don't even know Eric Metcalf. I'm probably too young to remember the fumbling problems, but I think those kind of guys are much more likely to flourish in today's softer, kinder NFL than in the old blood and guts, smashmouth, ground and pound days. I like Austin.

richtree is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin is really giving me a hard time mentally to pinpoint.....I know I am "down" on him compared to the masses but I also know that the NFL is much more forgiving to offensive players with the read/option and the inability for defenders to play "defense" as we once knew it.

I know that I keep bringing up Darren Sproles as a comparison, but maybe a better comparison would be across sports. I think this may take some of the emotion out of the process.

Remember when Nate Robinson came into the NBA. An undersized freak athlete. He has the ability to drop 30-40 points any night, and awes the crowd with his athletic natural abilities. Sure he had a good year of 2, but he is more of a bench player that can inject energy and help a team for short spurts.

I think of Austin in the same way. He is the rotational guy that can help on a few plays, but those could be "impactful" plays. Remember Randel-El had a great impact in this fashion, and Sproles often has a great impact on games, but I don't think the Rams are ready to pass on high 1st Rounders for a player of this type.

There have been too many Dante Hall's, Terry Metcalf, Josh Cribbs, Leon Washington, Devin Hester, Jacoby Ford, Trindon Holliday, Dexter McCluster and on and on.....even Gilyard...etc..

Final Points:
    1. He certainly will be an immediate impact on special teams.. (although NFL kick returns are rarer)
    2. There is a thread up about Patterson falling due to hands, but no one ever mentions that Austin's ball skills and hands are way worse than Patterson's. Even McShay gave a C to Austin for Ball skills.
    3. Pass on Guard, WR, OLB, Safety, OT for a guy that won't play ever down.
    4. I think his highest value is as Running Back -- Especially on 3rd down. I think if you invest at #16 or #22 you have to play him at Running Back 70-80% of the time and the other 20% or so he can slot out, or motion, etc....otherwise he is a Round 2 draft pick....or at best 28-35 range.
    5. The Rams already have Pead and D.Rich smaller guys that could use a bigger compliment
    6. To couple off of #5 "What is Austin's value ON THE GOAL LINE OR RED ZONE"???? I think it is strictly as draw running back or screen pass making him a running back player, especially since we don't have a Russell Wilson or RGII back there.
    7. Austin played in the most spread offense in America how will he transition to learning 2 positions, plus special teams, and deal with being an average player at first?
    8. Dante Hall couldn't get 500 yard receiving in any NFL season
    9. Sproles had 3 seasons of over 500+ yards receiving from backfield.
    10. A combo of Pead and a slot WR (late rounder) may be able to fill the same numbers

With all this being said I have come to my conclusion that Austin is a Round 2 - 4 pick but if you fully and ONLY IF YOU FULLY COMMIT to him as a running back first, and "joker" player second is he worth taking in Round 1.

I personally still wouldn't do it, and I don't think Fisher would either due to his history of wanting bigger players and player a rougher style of offense.

I wish a media member would ask Fisher where he would play in NFL because the slot doesn't seem realistic for a 16 game season. Maybe he can prove me wrong and be the next Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson but I would not make the investment due to the above points until Round 2 or later for the Rams.

I think he makes sense for Giants, Steelers, Texans, and Broncos.....but I also think teams in the top 10 have so many needs that he would not be considered until 11 or later...I think 17 or 19 may be his spot, if not he could fall to the 27 or 28 spot.....

but I wouldn't be surpised by any team taking him early....as DHB went too early, and just because someone takes you high in Round 1 doesn't make it a good move....

I love the debate with Austin, and truley appreciate everyone here that made stong points on both ends, bottom line is I am pulling for the combo of Patterson and Cooper in round 1

cheers guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RealRam likes this.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

I don't see him as a RB at all. I see him as a WR, mostly slot that will occasionally be in the backfield. He's too damn small to be a real RB. I never heard anybody say much about his hands. He certainly looks more natural than Patterson. Somewhere there is a drop rate stat and Austin is near the top of the 2013 class. I can't find it now and I don't know how you guys feel about pictures or links here. Ace Sanders had zero drops and I like him as a late round pick. I think he will be a good punt returner/slot guy, but he's just way too small.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Richtree, you had me on board with until your last line that picked Patterson. I think he is the classic "boom or bust" type player with high risk, high reward thrown in too. I agree with you about Austin being a limited player for certain situations. That is why I agree with you that some teams make more sense than us right now, but I think that about both Austin and Patterson. That is why I lean heavily towards Keenan Allen, assuming his injury problem will be resolved by the time camp opens, because he can play both inside or outside and play with toughness. If he doesn't make the grade for us then I favor Robert Woods, who doesn't seem to be getting the "love" of the media like Austin or Patterson, but who can in my mind be a good WR for us almost from day 1. To me you need to be a hands catcher, run precise routes and get separation. I worry about those traits with Austin and Patterson each in a different way.

Go Rams!

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Richtree, you had me on board with until your last line that picked Patterson. I think he is the classic "boom or bust" type player with high risk, high reward thrown in too. I agree with you about Austin being a limited player for certain situations. That is why I agree with you that some teams make more sense than us right now, but I think that about both Austin and Patterson. That is why I lean heavily towards Keenan Allen, assuming his injury problem will be resolved by the time camp opens, because he can play both inside or outside and play with toughness. If he doesn't make the grade for us then I favor Robert Woods, who doesn't seem to be getting the "love" of the media like Austin or Patterson, but who can in my mind be a good WR for us almost from day 1. To me you need to be a hands catcher, run precise routes and get separation. I worry about those traits with Austin and Patterson each in a different way.

Go Rams!
    I can understand if you like Keenan Allen ---
    he is a good player, and so is Robert Woods....I really hope that Woods is brought in for a visit as well as a few others....as the Rams only seem to give 1st and 2nd picks serious consideration after they had a visit with them

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I know that I keep bringing up Darren Sproles as a comparison, but maybe a better comparison would be across sports. I think this may take some of the emotion out of the process.
    Great Post Richtree. Tavon Austin moves on the field like Lionel Messi does on the soccer pitch, quick steps, and for every cut he makes he's still ahead of you.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Ok he's Andy McDonald of the Blues
    Barry Waller