Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 4 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Tavon Talk: Love-fest, or Smokescreen

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Tavon Talk: Love-fest, or Smokescreen

If you go to the NFL Network, you'll see a couple of headlines about Tavon Austin.

The Jets purportedly "have a plan" for him.

The Bills (who select one spot before the Jets' first pick), allegedly have him at "the top of their board."

Everyone LOVES Tavon.

Or do they?

Maybe they're just fishing.

Its no secret that teams who select after the Bills and Jets (including the Rams) have demonstrated interest in Austin. So, perhaps, these stories are the result of deliberate smokescreens designed to send the message that "if you want him, call us! (and be ready to offer something good)"

I have no qualms in conceding that I have no idea whether the Rams are considering trading up to get Austin. If it was my decision, I'd stay at #16. If he's there, great. If not, there are other options (including, potentially, Cordarrelle Patterson, who I have ranked one spot above Austin on my draft board).

In other words, perhaps the message back to New York and Buffalo should be... "fine, go ahead and take him with a top 10 pick if you think he's worth it."
    Randart likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Tavon Talk: Love-fest, or Smokescreen

Some teams bluffing, some truthful. Here's my thoughts on it:

The Bills said they have Tavon Austin at #1 on their draft board. Thats BS. I heard the Bills are DEADSET on taking QB Ryan Nassib out of Syracuse. They'd rather spend #8 and get him rather than take a risk and miss out. Why not over hype a guy like Austin to say the Rams(or others?) to come move up to #8, the Bills move to late teens (16ish) and they get an extra 2nd rounder but still land their QB.

Guarantee you thats their thought process right now.
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is online now Registered User

Les was just on the NFLN, he said everyone is just flirting right now, trying to set up some dates. No one is getting married until tonight. In other words every team is fishing right now.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Les has said that he's talked to a couple teams about moving up. I'm sure that he's kicked the tires on trading up for Austin. I'm also sure that he's kicked the tires on trading up for Warmack or Cooper as well. I'm not trading up for a player who can't be expected to play 1000 snaps. Everyone, except for a few notables, knows that a smaller player is more apt to get hurt because the smaller object bounces harder/further, it's just physics.

Stay at 16, if he's there awesome, but I'm not paying that kind of draft pick bounty to move up for a guy who's not going to play 1000 snaps and that we can find a 90% option in round 6.
    I believe!

Randart is online now Registered User

I do like Tavon but he would be about my fifth WR, so I pray we don't draft the kid! As far as trading up one word comes to mind, YIKES!!! Only interested in going down slow, as the old blues songs go... And hope it is with the 22nd pick not 16, hope we use 16 to improve our team. Just some thoughts from Sunny So Cal... I know some of you love Tavon but I think we can do better with another or two of the WR's in this draft. Time will tell guys!

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Early draft teams that think any player like Austin is a hot commodity suddenly come out in public and say "We are very interested in this guy - top of our board - blah blah blah". All a ruse to try and bait someone to trade up.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think more people love Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, and Hunter later in the round and are praying for these guys to fall...Austin isn't lasting long, but others may be worth trading up for....

I predict 5 trades...2 for WRs

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Seems as of right now we package a deal (#16 and 2nd rounder) to trade up for Tavon Austin, and then trade #22 to a team like the Bills or Eagles and grab their 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder.

THE DREAM TEAM