• 1 Post By turbofargo
  • 1 Post By RealRam

Thread: Taylor Lewan Faces Assault Charges

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Taylor Lewan Faces Assault Charges

Taylor Lewan faces assault charges

Updated: March 20, 2014, 2:10 PM ET
    By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

Former Michigan offensive lineman and first-round NFL draft prospect Taylor Lewan has been charged with one count of aggravated assault and two counts of assault or assault and battery stemming from an incident on Dec. 1, 2013, according to court records.

Lewan, who is projected as the No. 2 offensive tackle by ESPN's Scouts Inc. in May's NFL draft, is scheduled to be arraigned on April 8 at 9 a.m. in the 15th District Court in Ann Arbor, Mich.

According to the Ann Arbor News, which had earlier reported the charges, Lewan was being investigated for his role in an incident taking place on the 1200 block of South University Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on Dec. 1, following Ohio State's win over Michigan.

The News reported that two Ohio State fans said they were assaulted in the incident.

At the NFL combine last month, Lewan denied being in any sort of altercation.

"I went over the Ohio State incident once before. I wasn't in any fight of any kind," Lewan said. "I was actually breaking something up and some guy said that I slugged him, but that's not who I am off the field, that's not the kind of person I am.

"It might seem that way because of the way I play football, but that's not the way I am as a person."

The charges were filed with the district court Wednesday. The Ann Arbor News reported Lewan was the only person charged in the incident. If found guilty, Lewan could face up to 93 days in jail or a fine of up to $500.

The 22-year-old Lewan started 48 games at left tackle for Michigan and was named the Big Ten's offensive lineman of the year the past two seasons.

shower beers is offline Registered User

re: Taylor Lewan Faces Assault Charges

Living in Columbus, it's always news when this guy messes up. If this were an isolated incident, I'd be inclined to believe his story, but trouble just seems to follow him around. The biggest example of this being his alleged intimidation of a woman involved in a rape case with another U of M player. So no matter his talent, I can't get behind his attitude.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

re: Taylor Lewan Faces Assault Charges

Well he should find a home with the Bengals.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Taylor Lewan Faces Assault Charges

(On the phone)

Lewan: Hello. Hey man, glad you're there. Listen I've got a little problem, and I'm not sure how to make it go away.

(on the other end of the phone)

Incognito: Okay, here's what you do.....
    Bar-bq likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I liked Lewan as an option in a trade down scenario from the 2 spot, but now I'm not so sure. Intimidating a possible rape victim? Assault? Possibly lying about the assault charge at the combine? Maybe he's innocent of all this, but you'd think with millions in the balance, these guys would try to avoid trouble at all costs.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Seems like this happens every year. Tree had a DUI last year around this time and that sent his stock tumbling. I would guess Lewan will drop as well, he could now be on the board at 13. Do we take him who knows but it does change things somewhat for us.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Seems like this happens every year. Tree had a DUI last year around this time and that sent his stock tumbling. I would guess Lewan will drop as well, he could now be on the board at 13. Do we take him who knows but it does change things somewhat for us.
    DUI and assault are very different charges. I don't think you can risk a 1st round pick on a person who may get charged and sent to jail for a period of time. It's too bad because I was thinking he might be a good choice for us at #13 if we went with Watkins early. But honestly, I don't think we'll be thinking O-Line early in the draft unless we get a shot at a real good OG like Filo or Yankey. I'm liking Trai Turner late on day 2.

Go Rams!

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

So your saying he will be there at 13...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    So your saying he will be there at 13...
    He will be now, he's likely to drop out of the 1st round. Before this I'd have bet the Giants take him at #12.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

He's charged he's not yet been found guilty of anything at this point. My guess is he does start to slip but who knows how this will effect his stock. He's facing three misdemeanor assault charges. He will not due time for this. In Michigan, assault and battery is a misdemeanor punishable by 93 days in jail or a fine of up to $500.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Okay so we are for sure taking him. I was on the fence but now that he has some off the field issue its a go. Tongue in cheek but that seems to be our way. No one wanted Janoris and we took a chance, same thing with 'Tree. Players with great value but needed close watching, worked out both for us. okay okay, tongue in cheek, but if we do take Lewan I will seriously suspect a trend!
    Torry Holt likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This isn't news to NFL organizations, so it likely won't affect his stock that much now. The question is whether NFL teams have him ranked around the same place most on the outside do, as a Top 10-15 prospect. If NFL teams have had him in the 15-25 range even prior to these charges, being selected there would represent a slip for fans but maybe not for organizations.

Randart is offline Registered User

Just ask AvR lots of people get accused of things they never did or did in self defense... I would want to see him guilty of something before I judged the ladd! I still hope we draft him... He is my fave tackle in this draft hope the other teams dump him so we get him with either Sammy or Evans that is my dream round 1!~

RealRam is offline Registered User

No biggie. During a press conference at the combine, I believe I heard him say something about acknowledging mistakes in handling temper on / off the field but he seemed to understand self awareness and being responsible to correct the potential problem.

I think he'll be fine wherever he lands.
    Randart likes this.

Perhaps his actions are simply youthful indiscretions, but I'd be cautious about a guy who did this (which has never been denied) ---

Shortly after the woman reported the rape, she began to receive threats from Gibbons roommate and fellow football player, Taylor Lewan (now an All-American), that he would rape her again if she pressed charges against Gibbons.

The threats were reported by two other football players to the Office of Student Affairs who reported them to the University police. The University police did a “wellness check” on the young woman and met with Taylor Lewan. They warned Taylor Lewan not to threaten the woman again and that he might face criminal charges.
    No doubt there will be teams that aren't concerned by this, and teams that are, but he seems to have a lot of baggage, in addition to the 3 assault charges.