Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Taylor Mays: Drastically overrated?

Ive heard much this past year about the physical specimen known as Taylor Mays. He has all the physical tools you could dream of in a Safety (maybe even a linebacker). Alleged 4.25 speed (i think that was exaggerated), Violent Hitter, Great in run support. However, after watching tape of him i noticed a guy who takes terrible angles when going in for the kill, i say that because he wants to ruin your career rather than tackle you half the time and pays for it. Gets dominated by even decent route runners in coverage and has mediocre hands at best (but eh he IS a safety after all). In essence a Roy Williams clone except faster. To me, him being considered in the top 20 in the draft is ludicrous, but apparently im in the minority.

His potential is enough to warrant him early second round favor but as of right now im not sold at all on the guy and don't even want him in the third.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Taylor Mays: Drastically overrated?

Luckily we have two good starters at both safety positions and don't have to worry about him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Very uneven prospect. He has great size and speed, and he definitely can hit, but in four years at USC, he had a total of 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 5 interceptions (3 of which came in his Freshman year). Those are not particularly impressive numbers for a top safety prospect.

All that said, I suspect some team will take him in Round 1. In the right defense, he could be a difference maker in run support. He'll need to be protected in pass coverage, though, as that is not his strong suit.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

before the season people were really high on him..not so much anymore, but his size and athleticism are pretty much elite so he'll probably still go 1st round. i don't like him in coverage at all, and honestly i don't like him that much in run support either.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Oakland will take him at #8.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Whats he like in coverage?

The lack of big plays is a concern, and was a concern many Rams had when Archuleta was our SS.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

He's really not too good in anything except laying the wood, but that very aspect of his game is a part of why he sucks so bad in coverage. He lets receivers catch balls that he can certainly make a play on to lay the big hit on them. Yeah its nice you layed the guy out but he just caught a 15 yard ball on you Taylor.....

Bad form tackling and bad coverage skills makes you wonder why he's even in consideration for a first 3 round selection honestly. Better athlete than football player by far. I hope some team will pick him in the first round so that would allow one more better player to slide down a spot.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

It's a good thing he's big enough to play outside linebacker at the next level, because as most have said, he's not good in pass coverage. Simply does not read the field well, misjudges receiver's speed to often, and takes poor angles far too frequently.

In his defense, he did get injured early this season, and who knows what effect that had on the way he played the rest of the way.

That coupled with an early loss that pretty much knocked USC from title contention may have had an impact.

Maybe at that point he's just thinking "ok let's just make it through the season without a major injury so as to not negatively impact my draft status."

Just a theory, but who knows what was going through his mind, because he certainly underachieved his senior season.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    It's a good thing he's big enough to play outside linebacker at the next level, because as most have said, he's not good in pass coverage. Simply does not read the field well, misjudges receiver's speed to often, and takes poor angles far too frequently.

In his defense, he did get injured early this season, and who knows what effect that had on the way he played the rest of the way.

That coupled with an early loss that pretty much knocked USC from title contention may have had an impact.

Maybe at that point he's just thinking "ok let's just make it through the season without a major injury so as to not negatively impact my draft status."

Just a theory, but who knows what was going through his mind, because he certainly underachieved his senior season.
    How do you think he would meassure up as a WLB? Maybe a team will convert him, i have never seen him play but if he is purely athletic and can lay a big hit at will he could be a decent prospect there.