C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Taylor Mays- Round 2

Here's a simple second round scenario:

We tender OJ, and prepare to lock him up long term at FS.

Taylor Mays falls to the second round.

Do you draft him to play SS?

Personally this would be a dream come true. Three years ago during the season I wanted to draft James Laurainaitis in the first round, he went back to school, and I think you guys know what happened next.

Two years ago I was thinking Taylor Mays would be a great first round pick for the upcoming draft. He went back to school.

Do we grab another great defender in the second round?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Taylor Mays- Round 2

Heck no. That guy is a total idiot. He has a chance to either nail a guy and force an incompletion or an interception, he'd rather nail the guy. He is the total opposite of a ballhawk and why choose him when we have James Butler( who we got last offseason) and Craig Dahl. What a waste of a pick.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Heck no. That guy is a total idiot. He has a chance to either nail a guy and force an incompletion or an interception, he'd rather nail the guy. He is the total opposite of a ballhawk and why choose him when we have James Butler( who we got last offseason) and Craig Dahl. What a waste of a pick.
    woah woah woah hey bud... come on now.. give a little thought to having mays come in ... If he grades out as the BPA available at the top of 2nd take him.

Ramzee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    True, he has in the past chose to nail guys instead of making a play on the ball. That doesn't mean he's incapable of it though. They expressed those concerns in the Senior Bowl to him, he said it was something they asked him to do at USC (and no I don't believe that). What did he do to respond to that criticism? First play in the Senior Bowl he has a chance to annihilate some guy and he ends up with the pick. That's not just progress, that's immediate results. You can't downplay or discredit that.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71

Personally this would be a dream come true. Three years ago during the season I wanted to draft James Laurainaitis in the first round, he went back to school, and I think you guys know what happened next.

Two years ago I was thinking Taylor Mays would be a great first round pick for the upcoming draft. He went back to school.

I don't know where he fits on THIS team. There are a lot of great Safeties in this draft, some even comparable and/or better than Mays. If one should slip should we draft them too by this logic? I'd say you can't go wrong drafting good players, especially if you feel the value outweighs the slot but we have many other glaring needs and there should be some guys just as good at different positions available.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Watch Mays 40 time

If he runs a 4.40 or better he is a top 15 pick

But if he does drop we can use our spot to trade down to someone that wants Mays. Safety is not a need for us at this point.

Also i dont think it would be a good fit for us.

Atogwe is a ball hawk and wants the INT and does not do a good job in coverage. Mays wants to get hits and is not good in pass coverage. And our CBs are not shutdown corners. If we get Mays i see plenty of 50-99 yards completions for the opposing team.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post

T. Mays in the second round? Who woulda thunk it? I'm starting to think given this guy's coverage issues, that he may better translate to an OLB. If so, he could definitely be on the Rams radar is the 2nd round, though I wouldn't be all that excited.

I'm looking for either Jermaine Gresham or a top DE at that point.

WHAT SAY YE?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I don't want Mays with 2nd Rd pick.
    The NFL is going with safties with more coverage ability than comming up to support the Run.

I think Mays projects better at WLB. I don't think he has the skills in coverage in the NFL. The Rams don't need a Adam Archuleta type Safety.

richtree is offline Registered User

yeah, if we have OA and Dahl we have needs at CB, LB, DE way more

shower beers is offline Registered User

We need linebackers! Maybe we could use him there, but Safety seems to be one of a small number of positions that we can feel comfortable with come draft time.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

i'm for drafting him in round 2 but there are definitely a lot greater needs. also lots of sites have him going to the seahawks with their 1st round picks seeing as their coach knows him pretty well...

peramoure is offline Registered User

I'd take him in a heartbeat in round 2, but like you said - a DREAM come true. Not falling that far,

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Mays wont make it as a safety in the NFL. The days of big, hard hitting strong safeties with no coverage skills are gone. Mays doesnt have the hips to be an effective cover safety, so will likely have to move to weak side linebacker

Do we pick him at the top of the second to be a project at WLB? No thanks, id rather draft an guy that has played linebacker through college, someone like Sean Weatherspoon

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Mays is a OLB, anyone drafting him to play safety will end up being disappointed.