• 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Teddy Bridgewater lights up Miami in Russell Athletic Bowl

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Teddy Bridgewater lights up Miami in Russell Athletic Bowl

Teddy Bridgewater lights up Miami in Russell Athletic Bowl
    By Mike Huguenin
    College Football 24/7 writer
    Published: Dec. 28, 2013 at 10:25 p.m.

Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater played what he called one of his best games in throwing for a career-high 447 yards and three touchdowns Saturday night, leading the Cardinals to a 36-9 rout of Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

Whether his sterling performance came in his final college game is the question. In a postgame interview on the field, Bridgewater, who graduated earlier this month, told ESPN that he would meet with his coaches and his family before making a decision on whether to enter the draft. If he chooses to go pro, he will be a prime contender to be the No. 1 overall pick in the May draft.

"I have until Jan. 15," Bridgewater said, referring to the underclassmen draft-declaration deadline. "We want to celebrate tonight's victory, and each of us, whether it's seniors or underclassmen -- we all have decisions to make. But for tonight we wanted to focus on this game and get this game out of the way. Celebrate it and enjoy this moment."

Bridgewater finished the season with 31 touchdowns -- a school single-season record -- and just four interceptions. After completing 35 of his 45 pass attempts, he raised his completion percentage to 70.96, leaping past East Carolina's Shane Carden for No. 1 in the FBS. The completions total was one shy of tying a career high.

Bridgewater showed off his entire arsenal Saturday night, including his first rushing touchdown of the season. He rolled left, he rolled right, he stood comfortably in the pocket, he moved around in the pocket -- no matter what he did, he usually hit his target. He was 19 of 26 for 231 yards and two TDs in the first half and 16 of 19 for 216 yards and a touchdown in the second half. He also did a nice job spreading the ball around, completing passes to 10 receivers.

"I played against him in high school," Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman told reporters afterward. "He pretty much did the same thing, just a lot better."

As well as he played, Bridgewater probably should've completed at least three more passes -- he overthrew two open receivers and underthrew another. Bridgewater also took a sack for a safety early in the first quarter, giving Miami a short-lived 2-0 lead; he had time to get rid of the ball but looked as if he was trying to wait for an open receiver.

Bridgewater was the first quarterback to throw for 400 yards on the Hurricanes this season.
    Randart likes this.

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

Re: Teddy Bridgewater lights up Miami in Russell Athletic Bowl

He looked great, he's really accurate with the ball and doesn't seem to get fazed by the pass rush. He overthrew a couple receivers but overall I was impressed with his decision-making and pocket presence.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I agree Vin he impressed me I was expecting to see a highly over rated young QB but he was worth the price of admission! And what did you guys think of Lew wah Vulls (Louisville's) DE Smith I think it was the right one? Wow he was all over Miami's QB making his life miserable from start to finish the guy was incrediable atheletic and relentless kinda reminds me of Quinn to be honest. They mentioned he was recruited as a QB originally but had some trouble with accuracy so they suggested Defense and this kid is a natural if there is such a thing. I expect to hear big things from this kid someday! Miami never had a chance to get going as the Cards Defense stuffed them all game long. Fun Bowl game if your not a Miami fan for sure.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Adam Schefter is reporting that Texans GM Rick Smith was in Orlando watching Bridgewater at the bowl game.
    Randart likes this.

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I agree Vin he impressed me I was expecting to see a highly over rated young QB but he was worth the price of admission! And what did you guys think of Lew wah Vulls (Louisville's) DE Smith I think it was the right one? Wow he was all over Miami's QB making his life miserable from start to finish the guy was incrediable atheletic and relentless kinda reminds me of Quinn to be honest. They mentioned he was recruited as a QB originally but had some trouble with accuracy so they suggested Defense and this kid is a natural if there is such a thing. I expect to hear big things from this kid someday! Miami never had a chance to get going as the Cards Defense stuffed them all game long. Fun Bowl game if your not a Miami fan for sure.
    Yeah that Smith guy was all over the place; I'm sure with his high motor he'll be playing in the NFL soon. it was funny when the commentator was telling the story how he was a QB until he threw it a couple times in the dirt and coaches saw enough and moved him to defense lol.