throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Teke's Reasonable FA Signings

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Teke's Reasonable FA Signings

I generally restrict myself to just commenting on everyone else's mocks, but I decided that it would be fun to mock the FA period. I didn't go after any stars, but instead looked for guys who have been solid and maybe will follow their coaches to the Rams, looking at Titans, Jets and Saints first. I've given myself a $10M budget, figuring that any restructuring done to Sam's or other contracts and cap cuts can pay for the rookies and restricted FA/depth signings. I tried to be realistic with what cap charges might be, but I also very well could have underestimated. What does everyone think?

QB - pick a backup, any backup.

RB - Le'Ron McClain(~$1.5M) - Both of our backups are free agents and neither really impressed. Norwood is as good as gone, he couldn't even keep the returner job. I'd be ok keeping the Caddy in the garage though. To find a true backup for Jax, however, I'm targeting Le'Ron McClain again and the Law Firm, as I don't think he'll be practicing in New England any more. Both are bigger backs who can let Jax come out on the 3rd and shorts that we missed frequently in 2011. That Cardinals game with the same play on 3rd and 4th down still haunts me.

WR - Robert Mechem(~$3.5M) - Lloyd's going to the Pats. Write it down. Now, I'm in favor of picking up one of the top four receivers in the first round, but we still need a second target on the outside. Luckily, there are actually a good number of good receivers out there, so I'm going to hope that Mechem not only is not re-signed, but is not a huge target in FA either. Second choices would be Eddie Royal and Pierre Garcon.

TE - Jacob Tamme($0.9m) - I think that Tamme is going to escape the rebuilding Colts and he will be able to come to St. Louis expecting to take the starting spot. He could be right. It's my hope that he and the Amazon Kend-L(still trying to make that work...) become a great 1-2 combo that opens holes in the run game and kill over the middle. Backups: Scott Chandler, re-sign Bajema.

OL - I'm rather conservative here and say that in 2010 when the line was healthy, we did fairly well. Other than LG, I want to return all of our opening day starters. As for a new starter, I'd be happy to use our 3.2 pick on a guard, or even our 2.1 if one of the top rated ones drop. Jake Scott from Ten might also be a possibility, but he plays RG. If we get a pass game going, the pressure on the line overall will be less, as long as Sam can hit the hot route. That's why the emphasis on two pass catchers.

DE - Depth only

DT - Aubrayo Franklin(~$2M) - he played for WIlliams this year and I figure that the Saints won't keep him around with the large bucks needed to keep their offense together. He was a force at times for the Whiners, I hope he can do the same for us. Otherwise, I don't have a target other than standing pat and bringing in a rookie for our vets to train up. Backups: I got no backups...

OLB - Philip Wheeler (~$1M), Chamberlain(~$0.7M) - I'm really not all that familiar with a lot of the free agent linebackers who are in the middle of the road category, but both of these guys got around 80 tackles and should be easily signed. A 3rd round pick would be quite welcome to add to this pool. Backups: Erin Henderson, Tavares Gooden, Ernie Sims.

CB - Get healthy

FS - None

SS - Keep Stewart ($0.4M)

I believe!

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Teke's Reasonable FA Signings

You can't be taken seriously if you don't want to add on offensive linemen in free agency nor use our top pick on one..

What need 3 Offensive Lineman added to this current bunch to form something that knows how to block....

If you like a WR in round 1 and would like to add a guard later in the draft, that's fine....but you still have a need for 2 more Offensive Lineman in free agency.....

With Fisher here, my guess is that we add 2 in free agency...plus some depth guys to compete on the Line..

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Did i really just see the words "Resign Billy Bajema"?Ugh..
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You can't be taken seriously if you don't want to add on offensive linemen in free agency nor use our top pick on one..

What need 3 Offensive Lineman added to this current bunch to form something that knows how to block....

If you like a WR in round 1 and would like to add a guard later in the draft, that's fine....but you still have a need for 2 more Offensive Lineman in free agency.....

With Fisher here, my guess is that we add 2 in free agency...plus some depth guys to compete on the Line..
    Why? And what three? I could make arguments for and against 4 out of 5 starters, I just tend to fall on the 'for' side because the lines showed that it could work well together in a 3 and 5 step drop offense.

Saffold, great rookie year but as was shown in a thread in December, seems like he hasn't learned a thing technically. Is he out? Bell is a free agent anyway, and is the position that I would target in the 2nd or 3rd round. Brown had a personal tragedy this year and has never been a problem earlier in his career. Either he mysteriously dropped off the face of the planet, or he had a bad year. Dahl, nuff said. Smith is an interesting one, as he was highly rated and picked, was beaten out by Saffold, and has concussion issues. I'd be fine with a vet minimum pick, but you aren't going to find a more talented player in free agency for the kind of price tag we can afford.

And that's really what it comes down to. We have a lot of holes because of one year contracts last year and not a lot of cap room to fill them. I'd rather see what a better line coach can do with guys who have succeeded in the past than to try to bring in cheap guys who are free agents for a reason.

So, I openly invite you. Look at the possible free agents, pick your two and a reasonable cap hit for them and then where else don't you pick up someone?
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Did i really just see the words "Resign Billy Bajema"?Ugh..
    As the third option, yes. Sam knows him, he's a good blocker, and he can actually catch what Sam throws. Note that I had TD machine Chandler and Tamme ahead of him. Again, this is trying to upgrade on a budget. If you'd rather go it with only Kendricks, Big Mike, and either a vet minimum or maybe a rookie, fine by me.
    I believe!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I see people keep saying that Jason Brown had a personal tragedy this year, but if you are referring to his brother's death that happened in 2003. Long before he was with the Rams. His play has declined, although that could probably be said for the majority of the offense.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

To me, we need to maximize our talent. Wasting money on 2nd and 3rd tier players who we know are stop-gap propositions at-best, don't appeal to me as a primary approach. Quality over quantity.

I feel we need to go after the players we know will make an immediate and lasting impact. I'd rather spend money on 2 or 3 premium FAs, over 6 or 7 stop-gap types that will be cut at season's end if they last that long.

Therefore, if we're going shopping in New Orleans, the top choice is Marques Colston, not Robert Meacham. Of course Colston will cost a little more but he is a proven, reliable receiver. Should we lose Lloyd, he'd be an ideal replacement IMO, and I'd feel much more confident with him over Robert Meacham. Of course, there's the Jacksons, Vincent and possibly Desean to consider as well.

At RB, I'd like to look at Michael Bush, whom we should've drafted the year Linehan went with Brian Leonard in the 2nd round. What a disaster that was. Bush brings about the same game as SJax which I'm sure coach Fisher would love. A quick and/or fast change of pace back can be drafted in the later rounds.

At TE, there is no way I bring Billy Badjema back. In fact, he would've never been here if I were in charge. It is time this dinosaur mentality we've had for 10 years, move in a progressive, more relative to today's game, way.

TEs are now athletic game-breakers. We potentialy had one in Fendi Onubun. Fendi had the skillset, just needed the opportunity, that our conservative, dinosaur, predictable mindset wouldn't allow for.

Put speed and skill on the field and the defense has to adjust to you, instead of the other way around, which was most of the reason why we have sucked on offense recently.

Forget the O-line problems people think about concerning this team, change the philosophy. Put weapons of mass destruction on the field (ala GSOT) and all of a sudden your offensive line problems are minimized, if not eradicated altogether.

Of course that's not been the philosophy around here of late, but here's to the light coming on at some point and the "air" in "air coryell", being allowed to flourish via B Shott.

Wishful thinking on my part, and certainly not going to happen, so maybe we draft a lineman or two in the later rounds.

We are certainly in dire need of a young stud DT. Don't currently know who that could be, but Robbins should only be considered depth at this point in his career.

I can't remember the last time when OLB hasn't been a problem for us. Obviously the stop-gap approach didn't pan out quite as we envisioned at this position last year, with everybody gone or needing to be.

I wonder how Jabara Williams would look coming into his second year if he were still here. Probably a starter this year. Hmmm.... oh well.

Hey, maybe we can use one of our league-leading "whooopsies", and coerce the Bears into sending him back.

Finnegan or someone who can make the interception at CB. Even if Bartell and company comes back at 120%, we need a playmaker/gamechanger at CB.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't see why people are hating on Bajema. A third tight end who offers more than the others at blocking but can still catch the occasional pass out of the backfield? Why not? Going two tight end and being able to legitimately pass or run out of the formation is a good thing. Even on a "more progressive" roster, there's still room for role-players. Fendi didn't have the skillset, which was the problem; athleticism does not automatically make a good receiver any more than sheer strength makes a good blocker.

I don't know who else on the offensive line we would target in free agency, but I would treat it as a higher priority. Offensive system notwithstanding, we were bad last year. Smith, in particular, struggled to stay on the field and also struggled when he was on it. I am optimistic that Saffold and Brown may still rebound, but with as many questions as currently remain, it wouldn't hurt to bring in some more talent to compete at tackle.

I, too, would prefer Colston over Meachem if given the choice. Meachem has been a reliable contributor, but would he be better or worse outside of that offense?

To address the Michael Bush idea, I'd expect him to be looking for an opportunity to be featured in a bigger role than he had in Oakland or at least as the thunder to another team's lightning. Signing with a team where he brings pretty much the same skills to the table as the starter except not quite at the same level would seem to be exactly what he would want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I don't see why people are hating on Bajema. A third tight end who offers more than the others at blocking but can still catch the occasional pass out of the backfield? Why not? Going two tight end and being able to legitimately pass or run out of the formation is a good thing. Even on a "more progressive" roster, there's still room for role-players. Fendi didn't have the skillset, which was the problem; athleticism does not automatically make a good receiver any more than sheer strength makes a good blocker.

I don't know who else on the offensive line we would target in free agency, but I would treat it as a higher priority. Offensive system notwithstanding, we were bad last year. Smith, in particular, struggled to stay on the field and also struggled when he was on it. I am optimistic that Saffold and Brown may still rebound, but with as many questions as currently remain, it wouldn't hurt to bring in some more talent to compete at tackle.

I, too, would prefer Colston over Meachem if given the choice. Meachem has been a reliable contributor, but would he be better or worse outside of that offense?

To address the Michael Bush idea, I'd expect him to be looking for an opportunity to be featured in a bigger role than he had in Oakland or at least as the thunder to another team's lightning. Signing with a team where he brings pretty much the same skills to the table as the starter except not quite at the same level would seem to be exactly what he would want to avoid.
    Not hating on Badjema, just calling it as I see it. He may have been a 3rd TE in theory, but he saw the field far too much for my liking. Trust me, there are far better options out there, than to bring Badjema and his extremely limited skillset back.

And I beg to differ on Onubun. I believe Fendi was loaded with potential. Very raw, but has the size, speed and agility of a Jimmy Graham in my estimation. All that remained was an opportunity to show it. In any event, I prefer him or a TE with his type of skillset, over Billy Badjema.

Having said that, I'm sure coach Fisher salivates over someone like Billy Badjema.

As far as Michael Bush goes, I was basically trying to jump in coach Fisher's head. With the offense I feel he envisions, I think Bush would be an ideal pick up.

I certainly prefer a more explosive back as well, but I'm not so sure those type of guys appeal to Fisher, in spite of Chris Johnson.

I think he prefers a "control the clock" back over a "could go all the way", at any time back.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Not hating on Badjema, just calling it as I see it. He may have been a 3rd TE in theory, but he saw the field far too much for my liking. Trust me, there are far better options out there, than to bring Badjema and his extremely limited skillset back.

And I beg to differ on Onubun. I believe Fendi was loaded with potential. Very raw, but has the size, speed and agility of a Jimmy Graham in my estimation. All that remained was an opportunity to show it. In any event, I prefer him or a TE with his type of skillset, over Billy Badjema.

Having said that, I'm sure coach Fisher salivates over someone like Billy Badjema.

As far as Michael Bush goes, I was basically trying to jump in coach Fisher's head. With the offense I feel he envisions, I think Bush would be an ideal pick up.

I certainly prefer a more explosive back as well, but I'm not so sure those type of guys appeal to Fisher, in spite of Chris Johnson.

I think he prefers a "control the clock" back over a "could go all the way", at any time back.
    Fortuninerhater,

Mrs. "Badjema" is on the phone, she would like a word with you....
    ZiaRam likes this.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    To me, we need to maximize our talent. Wasting money on 2nd and 3rd tier players who we know are stop-gap propositions at-best, don't appeal to me as a primary approach. Quality over quantity.

I feel we need to go after the players we know will make an immediate and lasting impact. I'd rather spend money on 2 or 3 premium FAs, over 6 or 7 stop-gap types that will be cut at season's end if they last that long.
    I agree this original post does very little to improve a 2 win team. We need to cut and restructure which will give us a lot more money then 10 mil to spend this free agency. We are really talent depleted and can't fix everything. We need to add good players not average players. We need to fix our starters this offseason and not sign Sims Walker, Bannan, Poppinga type players that we don't want around after the year.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-05-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Fortuninerhater,

Mrs. "Badjema" is on the phone, she would like a word with you....
    Lol.......

Is she upset over me calling it as I see it, or coach Fisher salivating over him?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post

Bajema bring a little less then nothing to the table after his blocking was awful last year.

Kendricks has proven to be a better blocker than Bajema

Ill pass on Bajema and give Illinios Mike one last chance while adding a cheap veteran to the squad.

richtree is offline Registered User

Jason Brown's career is over.....Bell is gone.....and with all of Jason Smith's problems we can't count on him.....

We signed Jovan Olafioye --- so if you remember we had horrible depth, so we still need 2 maybe 3 others on the offensive line. Wragge is a 33 year old career back up.....A center should be someone that knows Fisher's system and will be around for a few years with Bradford.

I am sure that we will draft a Guard in rounds 4-7 this year. Our depth at offensive line was horrible this past season and we scrambled to find guys mid season.

IF YOU ONLY HAVE 10 MILLION BUCKS IT HAS TO ADDRESS OUR 2 KEY AREAS OF WEAKNESSES:

#1 OFFENSIVE LINE
    #2 ATHLETIC PLAY-MAKERS

thats all i need to know....why waste any money on a back up running back that is old....you can draft 1 in round 7 and sign another undrafted RB if need be

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Could see us having interest in Jake Scott, G for Tenn, considering Jeff Fisher signed him to a contract the last time he was an FA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast