Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    keith m. klink Guest

Re: Testing the water on a trade on draft day

First of all , how is it that we get to pick where we want to end up trading from . how can you just say , #6 or #5 . i really don't think thats how it works .

second , you can make up all the dream scenario's you want of getting all these picks and players that you cherish and the other teams will just be happy taking out our trash for us . I don't think so . but dreams are nice too .

third , with GOLSTON moving up so fast after his workout's and pro-day's that the DOLPHINS and JETS are all hard and sweaty over it and many other teams i would imagine . so CHRIS LONG might just be our guy , or maybe this whole time our smokescreen has been for GOLSTON this whole time and we were just hoping noone else would catch on .

forth , the RAMS said they would pick a point that they will not go past in the draft for trading back. C. LONG - DORSEY - GOLSTON - J. LONG seem to be what we can use , RYAN and McFADDEN i don't see as a need . so going back to #6 does not mean we will get 1 of the 4 we could use . so i can't see dropping past #4 if the RAMS don't want to be run out of town for blowing this draft and maybe ruining this franchise and bring it too the depths of ATLANTA or old NEW ORLEANS teams .

STLunatic is offline Registered User

Who would take Gholston though out of those teams behind us? Atlanta isn't going to take him, they have to many needs. Raiders, possibly but again they have more needs and they will probably go with Dorsey or Ellis. Chiefs need Jake Long, Period. Jets are going to take McFadden if he is there obviously. So that leaves the Patriots as the next team that would take Gholston. I don't think we will be able to work out a trade though, because Jake Long is all but a cheif in that spot if we or Miami don't take him, and McFadden is all but a Jet now that Falcons have signed Turner and they got Norwood. So I do not think we will be moving in this draft. Gholston or Chris Long is the pick with #2. If either is avalible, and one will be.

Rambos is offline Registered User

but with one caviot.........Chris Long would have to have been picked with the #1.
    This is what I was really after and am shocked! We could get GOLSTON and have two picks in round two! How GOOD do you guys think Long is?

yeah Chris Long can be an immediate impact player. I would consider the trade if he is not there as the rest grade about the same when one considers need and value.
    And you don't think GOLSTON, is going too be? And the second round pick we would also have WR,OL,LB,SS, I bet both these player would have a bigger impact on the Rams then Long.

It'd be tempting
    Ok Nick, GOLSTON - J. LONG are gone off the board. I know you don't see the need for Dorsey. Jake long at 6. We add Lawrence Jackson or Quentin Groves, and WR,LB,SS. Nick, if we made this trade what two players would you add in the second? And what grade would you give the Rams for first day?

First of all , how is it that we get to pick where we want to end up trading from . how can you just say , #6 or #5 . i really don't think thats how it works .
    Ok Jets want Mcfadden and so do other teams back in the draft, we get calls from teams, Jets being one of them. Jets have the 6th pick. The way it works is The Rams would get the 6th pick that the Jets have, so that is hoiw it works.

second , you can make up all the dream scenario's
    The Phins could take QB Ryan with the first. Do the math, Long,Long,Dorsey,Gholston. We are at 6 and these four guys are on the board. Jets moved up to get Mcfadden they NEED a RB.

third , with GOLSTON moving up so fast after his workout's and pro-day's that the DOLPHINS and JETS
    This is true, but the Jets are at six, they need to trade up.

forth , the RAMS said they would pick a point that they will not go past in the draft for trading back. C. LONG - DORSEY - GOLSTON - J. LONG seem to be what we can use
    Where they all on the board after we traded back?

RYAN and McFADDEN i don't see as a need
    Are off the board, read the trade again...
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-11-2008 at 12:44 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    Because, as you say below, there is a limit as to how far back we'd be willing to drop back. As there are 7(now including Gholston) elite players in this draft, at 6, we'll be able to draft one. We get to pick there because that's where we'd be interested in trading to. We'd take higher, but if a team from lower in the round wants to trade up, they'd have to work out a three way deal to get us a pick in that range.

second , you can make up all the dream scenario's you want of getting all these picks and players that you cherish and the other teams will just be happy taking out our trash for us . I don't think so . but dreams are nice too .
    I agree, I don't see why people think that Byrd has trade value above maybe a late 6th or more likely, 7th rounder. Manumaleuna was an established starter, good blocker and ok pass catcher. His limitation is speed. His value was there for a 4th. Wroten should be a 5th at the highest in my mind, but could be a 4th, who knows. If we think they're trash, why would other teams be oblivious to this fact?

third , with GOLSTON moving up so fast after his workout's and pro-day's that the DOLPHINS and JETS are all hard and sweaty over it and many other teams i would imagine . so CHRIS LONG might just be our guy , or maybe this whole time our smokescreen has been for GOLSTON this whole time and we were just hoping noone else would catch on .
    I'm not exactly sure what the hell you're trying to say here, but this is what I think you mean. Gholston put on a show at the combine, which now makes him included into the elite players for the draft. The Dolphins and Jets now like him a lot, which makes sense as he's a perfect tweener for their 3-4 OLB needs. Chris Long might be the top of our draft board(I agree), or maybe Gholston is(I'd have him top 3-4, not top, I'd take Chris before him) and we hoped that no one would think he was worth a #2 pick. I'm still iffy about him as a #2 pick, and would expect the whole league to be as well. That's the whole point of trading down, as he's not worth that pick, unlike an injury free Dorsey or McFadden and we get extra picks.

forth , the RAMS said they would pick a point that they will not go past in the draft for trading back. C. LONG - DORSEY - GOLSTON - J. LONG seem to be what we can use , RYAN and McFADDEN i don't see as a need . so going back to #6 does not mean we will get 1 of the 4 we could use . so i can't see dropping past #4 if the RAMS don't want to be run out of town for blowing this draft and maybe ruining this franchise and bring it too the depths of ATLANTA or old NEW ORLEANS teams .
    First off, add Sedrick Ellis to that list if you're including Dorsey. Dolphins will take one of those four(unless they take Ryan), so at #2 we'll be down to three (or four, five with Ellis) of those guys. Atlanta won't take McFadden, but could try shopping it, or more likely will take Ryan if there. Another possibility would be Jake Long or Chris Long if he's still around. Raiders just lost Warren Sapp, so I predict that they'll take Dorsey, as the value there will be great. Kansas City will either take the top OT available, or will desperately try to trade back. Therefore, KC makes a lot of sense as a trade partner for someone lower in the first trying to get McFadden both to move up to our spot, or to just #5. In any case, at #6, Gholston and Ellis are most likely still available with Gholston going to the Jets if they're still there, because the Pats would love him at #7, and the Jets don't want to face him.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The Jets signed Jesse Bateman today,so they may not be looking to draft McFadden, not that place them in the same class, but it makes their willingness to trade up less likely.

I know we all think Chris Long is the "2nd Coming", but we may find drafting J. Long and then finding Q. Groves in round 2 a perfectly workable alternative.

Go Rams!:r

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    If Chris Long's available, then any team wanting to trade up better be prepared to pay full value on the trade chart. If Long's not available, then it's let's make a deal time, and I'd probably take either next year's 1st or this year's second for the move.
    Full value is a given; and if Long is available, they better be prepared to pay a premium on top of full chart value. And depending on which team we're trading with, the price would be next year's first AND this year's 2nd.

As I think this team would be greatly benefited by any of 5 blue chippers (Long, Long, VG, Dorsey, Ellis), I have no problem with moving down to the #5 spot or #6 depending on what the Fins do. However, if I were to do it, I would certainly want full value in return. I wouldn't just give the #2 pick away.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-11-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why do I get the feeling Gholston could be a combine freak and game day flunky?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Why do I get the feeling Gholston could be a combine freak and game day flunky?
    I'm sure he's a phenom pass rusher, but I'm not convinced he can stop the run. Maybe he'll be great, I don't know........but ultimately he appears too one-dimensional for a team with so many holes to fill.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Big Horn is offline Registered User

Assuming that the Chiefs want J. Long bad enough to trade up to number 2, why not try to work something out like the Giants/Chargers trade four years ago?

We take J. Long @ #2 and if Gholston is around @ #5 they snag him. We swap players and they throw in their second rounder. This way we mitigate our risk of losing out on an impact player and we still keep our options open in the second round. Wost case scenario we keep J. Long and grab a DE in the second.

Is this just a Madden type fantasy?

One thing is for sure, if the front office is serious about building this team with young talent through the draft we need to make a trade. We might not have more trade value than what we have now for quite some time.

Big Horn

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think it's going to take more than the 2008 draft to make this team into a contender. It will definately help, but I think the Rams need the 2009 draft to really be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Full value is a given; and if Long is available, they better be prepared to pay a premium on top of full chart value. And depending on which team we're trading with, the price would be next year's first AND this year's 2nd.

As I think this team would be greatly benefited by any of 5 blue chippers (Long, Long, VG, Dorsey, Ellis), I have no problem with moving down to the #5 spot or #6 depending on what the Fins do. However, if I were to do it, I would certainly want full value in return. I wouldn't just give the #2 pick away.
    Here's where we differ. In order for a trade to occur in the top five these days, I just can't see that the chart value for the pick is going to be fulfilled. The cost involved in going up is too much considering the cost then to sign the pick itself. I think if our top player is on the board(Chris Long), then if we were to trade, we would need the full value, as we'd have to be convinced to move out of the spot. However, if the Dolphins take him, and we're not completely set on a player(any of the other quality guys), then we don't need to get "full trade value" for our pick, just because of the savings to our cap. That's why I'm saying, just off the top of my head, that I'd take less than full value to trade back the few spots to 5 or 6 to facilitate the trade. Especially if we can still get who we want (Gholston) there, and pay him less, there's not a need to jeopardize the trade trying to max out the value for it. I'd rather get a little less for it, but save a lot of cap room doing the trade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's going to take more than the 2008 draft to make this team into a contender. It will definately help, but I think the Rams need the 2009 draft to really be in business.
    I agree, but we could still make the playoff as a wild card, win the west that is not saying much. But yeah two very good drafts, we can't blow this one and spend a ton on a #2 and have him just be OK.

I think if our top player is on the board(Chris Long), then if we were to trade, we would need the full value,
    Full value meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn
    We take J. Long @ #2 and if Gholston is around @ #5 they snag him. We swap players and they throw in their second rounder.
    If we did that deal, I'd want their 2nd and 3rd.....or just their 2009 1st rounder. However, the Chiefs are in a worse spot for talent than we are. If anything, they're going to move down for more picks, not up for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
    Assuming that the Chiefs want J. Long bad enough to trade up to number 2, why not try to work something out like the Giants/Chargers trade four years ago?

We take J. Long @ #2 and if Gholston is around @ #5 they snag him. We swap players and they throw in their second rounder. This way we mitigate our risk of losing out on an impact player and we still keep our options open in the second round. Wost case scenario we keep J. Long and grab a DE in the second.

Is this just a Madden type fantasy?

One thing is for sure, if the front office is serious about building this team with young talent through the draft we need to make a trade. We might not have more trade value than what we have now for quite some time.

Big Horn
    It's a Madden fantasy for the simple fact that i can't see the Chiefs trading up at all. They have 3 starting holes on the offensive line, a defense comparable to ours and a not quite settled QB debate. They very much want to trade back, and desperately so if Jake Long is not there, because they need as many picks as they can get.

The only way I see us getting the #5 pick is a three way trade with them going down in the round, and someone else taking our spot for McFadden.

As for the Jets taking McFadden, they have a lot of cap already set aside for Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. They don't need a 3rd back when they have defensive holes. They'll be looking at Gholston, Ellis, and corners I believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast