Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Texans owner Bob McNair: 'We're going to greatly strengthen our team"

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Texans owner Bob McNair: 'We're going to greatly strengthen our team"

Bob McNair: 'We're going to greatly strengthen our team as a result of the draft'
    Posted: May 02, 2014 6:12 PM EDT
    Updated: May 02, 2014 9:58 PM EDT
    By Mark Berman, Sports Director - bio

HOUSTON (FOX 26) - With the NFL Draft less than a week away Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said it is far too early to predict who his franchise will take in the first round because of the options he and his organization expect to have.

"It's a very exciting time," McNair said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "I'm really looking forward to it. I was just at the NFL meeting. I'm chairman of the finance committee, and just as I was opening the meeting three or four of them (owners) said 'okay Bob, Who are you going to pick?'

"We all laughed and I said 'I wish I knew.' "

The Texans own the top-overall pick and McNair echoed the the thoughts of executive vice president and general manager Rick Smith, who said on Thursday the team will entertain offers to trade its No. 1 pick and move down.

"Really at this point we don't know and we really won't know until right up at the time we have to make a decision because people are talking to us about the possibility of trading down and it's a question of what people offer, whether their offer is such that it's worthwhile to trade down," McNair said.

"If that were the case our pick would be something different."

McNair and his Texans owned the first-overall pick in 2002 and 2006.

"You don't have many opportunities to pick the best player in the draft, pick the player that will help your team the most," McNair said. "So you just want to make sure that you make a good decision because it has a lasting impact.

"You have to be very careful about what you're doing and make sure you thoroughly study the situation and come up with the decision that makes the most sense for your team. We do that and we operate really through a consensus on this sort of thing. It's not one person that just decides I want to get so and so."

Led by Smith the Texans continue to focus on every player that could be an option at No. 1 or later.

"We're trying to foretell the future, basically," McNair said. "What will we look like? How will we play with this player or that player or the other player? It's a speculation on the part of our people and everyone else because no one can guarantee anything and know for sure what the results are going to be.

"You got three quarterbacks and all of them have some holes in their resume," McNair said. "A quarterback that goes out and performs for you and is a franchise quarterback is more valuable than a player playing another position, but there's a lot more risk there. It's a more difficult position to play and there are lot more failures."

While Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater get most of the attention at quarterback, there are others at that position that are a part of the Texans' due diligence.

"You drop down and there's another group close behind, not exactly where they are, and maybe one of those quarterbacks will become better than one of these other three," McNair said. No one knows.

"There are no slam dunks. There are no Andrew Lucks out there, no Peyton Mannings. If there were it would be an easy decision, but that's not the case."

McNair personally met with a number of the players the Texans brought to Houston on visits including Manziel and Bridgewater and defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

"You take a guy like Clowney," McNair said. "He's obviously the best player in the draft, but he's a defensive end. He's not a quarterback. If he's a quarterback and the best player it's easy, but that's not the case. So can that defensive player have a greater impact on the success of your team than one of these quarterbacks? It's not a sure thing that he is."

Because of all of that, the Texans may find that trading down and acquiring more draft picks is the prudent thing to do.

"If somebody wants you to drop down and they give you two or three more picks that would let you get two or three more quality players, are you a stronger team dropping down a little bit, getting these additional picks and getting more depth?" McNair said.

He also said, like in the past, the Texans will do what is in the best interests of the organization.

"We did that in '06 when public opinion was that we should pick (Reggie) Bush," McNair said. "We said then that we're going to do what's in the best interest of the team and ultimately public opinion will recognize that if we're correct.

'In '06 it was easier because you had a top defensive player (Mario Williams) versus a running back and an outstanding running back is not as valuable as an outstanding quarterback.

"That was I think an easier decision for us and I think we made the right decision. I think it proved out. I think that's an indication of how we go about doing our business."

McNair wants Texans Nation to know his organization will get it right in 2014.

"I think that we're going to greatly strengthen our team as a result of the draft," McNair said. "We've got 11 picks now in the draft and it's a deep draft. So we're going to get some good players regardless as to what we do.

"If we trade down and pick up two or three more players, we'd have 13 or 14 (draft picks). So you're going to see some significant strengthening of our team as a result of this draft.

"We've got a good core group of veteran players that are outstanding. We've got some holes to fill and we've got ample opportunity to fill those holes."

Re: Texans owner Bob McNair: 'We're going to greatly strengthen our team"

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
    In talking to people who know #Texans GM Rick Smith well, I no longer believe itís a certainty that Jadeveon Clowney would be their 1st pick
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
    After discussing the topic with people familiar with Rick Smith, it doesnít appear #Texans are 100% sold on Clowney. Thus, willing to trade
    Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 2m
    T @RapSheet: Talking to those who know #Texans GM Rick Smith, I no longer believe itís certain Jadeveon Clowney will be 1st pick ... Bingo.
    Could be smoke, or...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Interesting. This kind of goes against what Rick Smith recently said where he proclaimed "If we stay at one we know who we want." McNair is making it sound like they still have no idea who they are taking.

I do find it odd that the Texans are trying like crazy to trade the pick though. If Clowney was such a slam dunk for them I would think they'd only entertain trade offers that blew their socks off. Maybe they do have someone else in mind that they would rather trade back for and select while garnering extra picks. Or maybe they just take that player at #1 and try and fend off the ****storm from the media and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I do find it odd that the Texans are trying like crazy to trade the pick though. If Clowney was such a slam dunk for them I would think they'd only entertain trade offers that blew their socks off.
    Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Here's a team in need of another pass rusher (tied for 29th in sacks last season), and Clowney apparently demonstrated at his pro day that he could make the shift to outside linebacker. Most acknowledge that this isn't a great QB class at the top, and yet Houston seems to want to get out of that spot rather than sit tight and take Clowney. And the team in the Top 10 who has as big a need for a pass rusher as anyone else (Atlanta) has seemingly withdrawn from the trade-up discussion despite most people thinking it'd be a great move to go up and add Clowney. I'll be interested to say the least to see where he ultimately ends up being drafted.
    HUbison likes this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Maybe the Texans are being too greedy and trying to get a deal like we got for RGIII. Seemed that Atlanta was going to do something then fizzled out a couple days later.

I do believe all that talk is bait, nothing more. Trying to get anyone to nibble. I am curious that professionals, the general managers, coaches, exec, scouts, etc. when they read this how they react. Is it an eye roller type of thing, or do they take it seriously. I know there is a movie out about it, but still would love to be in the everyday dealings with the top generals. To make it interesting say from three weeks in. What conversations take place? How much external media do they read/consider? It would be so fascinating. If I could sign a waiver not to breath a word of it just so I can experience what they do I would in a heartbeat!

Sorry got off topic a bit there.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Maybe the Texans are being too greedy and trying to get a deal like we got for RGIII. Seemed that Atlanta was going to do something then fizzled out a couple days later.

I do believe all that talk is bait, nothing more. Trying to get anyone to nibble. I am curious that professionals, the general managers, coaches, exec, scouts, etc. when they read this how they react. Is it an eye roller type of thing, or do they take it seriously. I know there is a movie out about it, but still would love to be in the everyday dealings with the top generals. To make it interesting say from three weeks in. What conversations take place? How much external media do they read/consider? It would be so fascinating. If I could sign a waiver not to breath a word of it just so I can experience what they do I would in a heartbeat!

Sorry got off topic a bit there.
    Yeah, winning the mock draft challenge shouldn't be rewarded with opening home game tickets, it should be a chance to be Snead's shadow for a couple weeks leading up to the draft!!!! That would be stellar... going to scout meetings, gm discussions, etc. I'd take that over super bowl tickets. Not that I wouldn't take super bowl tickets if anyone's giving them away... anyone?.... bueller? ....bueller?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

In my opinion, Houston will be drafting Johnny.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Hahaha I love that quote.

I want a GM coming out now and saying: "We aren't really worrying about this draft. We are all going out getting margaritas and putting a fan from our team message boards in charge of picks."

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRams View Post
    Hahaha I love that quote.

I want a GM coming out now and saying: "We aren't really worrying about this draft. We are all going out getting margaritas and putting a fan from our team message boards in charge of picks."
    Totally. I'm waiting for the day when a top brass member says, "Meh, we'll probably screw this one up, but you never know, but don't hold your breath!"

I won't hold my breath waiting for that one, but I will stand up and salute that person!