Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: TFY Valentine's Day Draft Notes
TFY Valentine's Day Draft Notes
Pre-Combine Notes 5.0
TFY Draft Insider
Two weeks from Saturday the offensive linemen take the field of Lucas Oil Stadium as the workouts for the 2013 NFL combine officially begin. Until then we will fill you on how the preparation is going for many of the invitees as well as the latest word on free agency. Update Feb 14th- Valentine’s Day special; wide receiver and tight ends
- I am told Keenan Allen/WR/Cal has not looked anything special in combine training nor has he separated himself from the almost dozen wide outs he’s working out with in Florida. Its not that Allen has been bad rather he does not show the “wow” factor you want to see in a potential top twelve pick.
- On the other hand I am told Stedman Bailey/WR/West Virginia has really stood out and could be the surprise at receiver during the combine. He’s run terrific routes, caught everything in sight and is running very fast. The comparison to former USC receiver Steve Smith is being made and like Smith, Bailey could end up in the second round.
- Another wide out that’s been impressive is Conner Vernon of Duke. He’s shown some of the most consistent hands in training and runs outstanding routes. One other thing to keep an eye out for; I’ve been told though Vernon does not have the breakaway speed, as evidenced by his tape, he runs the fastest ten yard splits of anyone he’s training with (including the aforementioned Allen and Bailey). His problem if from 20-to-40 yards. That being the case, Vernon will get a lot of looks from teams that run the west coast offense based on his ability to get off the line. I’m also told Vernon is a “solid kid” which will further help his cause.
- Ryan Swope of Texas A&M has also looked terrific in the lead up to the combine. Scouts estimated Swope runs in the mid 4.5’s but I hear the reality is different. He’s been running in the low 4.4’s during training and has stood out in the jumps and agility drills. Most are already familiar with his sensational pass catching skills but if Swope is able to turn some heads at the combine with his athleticism and speed then say hello second round.
- From the tight end class sources tell me Gavin Escobar of San Diego State is still rough around the edges yet has caught everything in site the past few weeks.
- Mychal Rivera of Tennessee, a player I gushed about from Senior Bowl practices, is expecting to run the forty in the 4.6’s though his goal is the 4.5’s. Keep an eye on Rivera’s weight at combine as we hear he was light in Mobile at 237-pounds.
- Finally, Nick Kasa of Colorado is targeting sub 4.7-seconds in the forty at 270-pounds during his combine workout. His weight at the Senior Bowl was 271lbs. We’ve written about Kasa since December and know scouts love his upside. He’s presently ranked as a 4th round pick on our boards but a sub 4.7/forty could put him into day two of the draft.
- I am told quarterback Zac Dysert of Miami-Ohio, who was expecting to complete the entire combine workout, suffered a slight tear of his hamstring Monday and won’t throw until his pro-day on March 21st.
By Nick in forum DRAFT & FAReplies: 3Last Post: -02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
By Nick in forum DRAFT & FAReplies: 12Last Post: -04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
By RamWraith in forum RAM TALKReplies: 6Last Post: -07-11-2006, 10:05 AM
By Nick in forum DRAFT & FAReplies: 3Last Post: -04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
By Nick in forum DRAFT & FAReplies: 4Last Post: -03-19-2005, 07:22 PM