Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    btimsah Guest

Are There Any Big Name Offensive Guards Available In Free Agency?

This team needs to go out and get two guards (LG and RG!) who are good. The interior of the offensive line needs to be able to create bigger lanes.

I really think the two positions that killed us the last two years have been Corner back and offensive line. We struggle to run the ball a lot, and our corners can't cover well one on one. That ruins our entire consistancy on both offense and defense.

Fix that and we might have a playoff team. Oh and get rid of Linehan. PLEASE.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Are There Any Big Name Offensive Guards Available In Free Agency?

We could try to get two guards who are good youre right...but that'll cost quite a bit.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Lilja and Faneca are the best two guards available in FA. Lilja is young while Faneca is old. Both would cost a lot.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    This team needs to go out and get two guards (LG and RG!) who are good. The interior of the offensive line needs to be able to create bigger lanes.

I really think the two positions that killed us the last two years have been Corner back and offensive line. We struggle to run the ball a lot, and our corners can't cover well one on one. That ruins our entire consistancy on both offense and defense.

Fix that and we might have a playoff team. Oh and get rid of Linehan. PLEASE.
    Disagree with this assessment on a few grounds ...

Incognito (RG) is a nasty, punishing type guard who has some issues with immaturity. As he gets older, I would like to believe that these issues are going to go away. His mean streak is much needed on this team, which is widely considered somewhat soft by many. Health is a concern, but it seems to be a concern on every facet of our O-Line ...

Setterstrom (LG) looked fantastic as a run blocker when he was in there in 2006. Like many of our other guys, he suffered a season ending injury and we never really got to see what we was about. However, I think this guy has great potential and should be a fixation on our line for years to come if he can overcome the health issues ...

With that said, we do need to look to do one of the following:

1. Either obtain a high profile guard and let Setterstrom marinate. I have no doubt that Incognito is the man at right guard.

2. Add some significant depth on the line in the way of young, up and coming talent, or through the draft, and let Setterstrom and Incognito grow on the field.

The more pressing issue is center, where Romberg is a question mark, and McCollum is likely gone. This is far bigger an issue than either guard spot ...

We won't struggle to run the ball if our line is healthy. Look at what we did in 2006. On top of that, our passing attack struggled mightily with our porous offensive line. The jury is still out, but I firmly believe our defense can be top-10 or at least top-15 in the league with the addition of a solid edge rusher. If Little comes back healthy, it would do wonders for the defense. James Hall is a nice fit on the left side as a run stopper. He has produced sacks in the past and also dealt with some nagging injuries this year ...

Cornerback is a position that I am not concerned about at all. Yes, we could use some depth, but Fakhir is a very solid veteran, and Tye Hill has shown that he can run step for step with anyone. Hill needs some technique work, but you've got to realize one thing about our D ..

It is predicated on alot of man-to-man coverage ..

Corners are always going to get beat occasionally when playing man to man. That is where having a ballhawk safety to take the pressure off. This is why I am so stoked about O.J. Atogwe. He developed a knack of being able to close quickly on deep routes and grab several INT's in that manner this year ...

This allows some different stunt looks on D. If the conditions are right, the corner can bump man, and let the wideout run by him on the sideline, and bait the QB into throwing the deep pass, while all along O.J. or another safety is there to come over and pick off the pass ...

Bartell improved steadily during the year, and Wade provides solid depth. As effective as Bassey was on special teams, it would be interesting to see what he could do in the roation. I just don't see the problem at corner...

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Lots of IF's here, but IF Strom and Cogs can stay healthy (and it is a risk), I think we can find a good guard or three on day two. IF the Rams have the ability to ID the potential each player has and the coaching skill to transfer pro techniques we'll be fine without having to mortgage the future in a high priced FA.

Comforting isn't? Yikes

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I WOULD DO WHATEVER I CAN IN MY POWER IF IM ZYGGY AND Shaw's power to get ryan Lilja... he is a stud period enough said, end of disussion

btimsah Guest

No, I think everyone greatly overrates our guards and corners. None of them are that good.

That's why Linehan's useless runs up the gut the last 2 years rarely gained any yardage unless Jackson bounced it outside. Incognito is a huge head case who just has not done anything to garner anymore than an average player status.

Our corners are why we fell apart late in games. It would take some teams 2 quarters to realize how bad we suck at corner and then they would abuse us there. Think Dallas. Think every team we lost too. Our run defense was better because we put our corners on islands and they gave up huge gains. So we ended up getting blown out in the second half.

Tye Hill and Fakir Brown are nothing better than nickel and dime corners imo. We could stand to get someone better than Chavous too for that matter.

I think I've been saying we need better corners since... we lost Anneas? Still haven't found anything special.

You can't have a great defense with Tye Hill and Fakir Brown as your starters. I'm sorry.. I wish it werent true.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I agree with bt....I'd rather have Butler and Fisher than Brown and Hill. Wade is a major liablilty and Bartell has regressed.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I wouldn't spend huge money on a a guard, but i would spend a good amount on a guys like Jacob Bell or Stacy Andrews. I would go for depth at corner maybe a guy like Drayton Florence, but i don't think its a huge need. Our corners and guards are a little overrated , but not as much as you guys are saying they don't suck that much.

btimsah Guest

Guards aren't as important as corners because the offensive line works together. DB's tend to get isolated and thus exploited. So they have to be so much better than, say almost every other position cept QB.

I also see teams like the Eagles and Ravens who have good Corners and they are able to jam receivers and at times dominate defensively.

We just have not had that in many moons and it's in large part because of our bad secondary. I want our team to have millions invested in their secondary for once! lol.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I couldn't disagree with your statement about our guards any more. Guards and the center are told to contain the tackles in a 4-3 system. Last time I checked the Vikings had Kevin and Pat Williams. One of the, if not the best defensive tackle team in the national football league. Last time I checked, we also mauled that team on the ground. You can't have an excellent day rushing the ball, unless you can control the defensive line, which does include the tackles.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't know if we need two guards in free agency, but I do agree we need one guy who can come in and start and then create a competition for the second spot between everyone who is left and maybe a draft pick.

I couldn't disagree more with your discussion of the cornerbacks. Brown was a league leader in pass defenses despite being suspended 4 games, Hill was more than adequate when healthy, and Bartell is above average in the slot. All of that was accomplished without any semblance of a pass rush. If we ever got a push on the QB consistently and our corners still broke down consistently, I'd be more concerned. But we have to do some crazy stuff to manufacture mediocre pressure. Deion Sanders would get beat in that situations too.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    No, I think everyone greatly overrates our guards and corners. None of them are that good.

That's why Linehan's useless runs up the gut the last 2 years rarely gained any yardage unless Jackson bounced it outside.
    How many minutes did our starting LG, C and RG play last season? You want to say they are over rated yet they barely played.

Incognito may be a serious injury liability but at this point, I'm not sure you can give up on him yet. Setterstrom has barely played but when he did he seemed to impress those in the know. I'm not a big fan of Romberg. That in my opinion is the place to search for a replacement.

As was said. You can probably get the best or #2 Guard in the draft in the second round. Is that worth it?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Jacob Bell from Tennesse and Stacy Andrews from Cincy are probably the top second teir guards at the moment. Faneca is older and will command a much higher salary, whereas these two are younger and will ask for less.

Something to consider: The system Faneca and Starks played in last season gave up more sacks than the offensive lines that Bell and Andrews played for. The Pittsburgh line, if I'm not mistaken, gave up more sacks than the Rams.

Hindsight is a *****, but I think if we were going to drop huge dollars on a top-teir guard (as it appears some of you are willing to with Faneca) the time to do so probably would have been last year with Eric Steinbach, who is much younger.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with your discussion of the cornerbacks. Brown was a league leader in pass defenses despite being suspended 4 games, Hill was more than adequate when healthy, and Bartell is above average in the slot. All of that was accomplished without any semblance of a pass rush. If we ever got a push on the QB consistently and our corners still broke down consistently, I'd be more concerned. But we have to do some crazy stuff to manufacture mediocre pressure. Deion Sanders would get beat in that situations too.
    Well said chiguy. Any all-pro DB in the league will look mediocre if the DL can't get a push on the QB. Give an average NFL QB time and he'll make the best DB look bad. I think we need serious attention to our DL. Hence all the talk about Chris Long as our No. 1 pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-23-2008, 05:07 PM