clarasDK is offline Registered User

Are there a chance that Colt McCoy is still there at nr 33?

I am pretty sure that the Rams will take Bradford with the nr 1 pick this year. But in my heart I still hope for some lucky break that will give us Suh and Colt McCoy in the second round.

I have tried to analyse the first round to see what the chances are for McCoy to slip to the pick nr 33.

As I see it the QB order is:
    1. Bradford
    2. Clausen
    3. McCoy

Tebow could be a wildcard that could pop up before Clausen or McCoy. But nobody really has an idea where and to whom Tebow will go.

That means if the Rams takes Suh only two other teams can take a QB or else Colt will be gone before nr 33.

Bradford would probably go to the Redskins(4), Seahawks(6) or Browns (7)

Clausen would probably go to Raiders (8), Bills (9) or Jaguars (10)

I think most teams would see it as a reach go after Colt McCoy in the top 10.

From pick 11-20 I only think the Whiners would consider taking him (as they have two picks they could use pick nr 17 to take a chance).

From 21 - 32 I only see the Vikings having a real QB need.

Scenario 1:
    So for the McCoy with nr 33 scenario to happen we would have to hope that no one sees him as having top 10 value, That the Whiners don't take a chance on him, that nobody wants to pay for trading up before the Vikings and that the Vikings do not take him.

I would say the Vikings taking him is the biggest risk here.

Scenario 2:
    Raiders take the player with the best 40 time or some workout warrior like OT: Bruce Cambell
    Bills go BPA and take a player like Spiller
    Jaguars takes Tebow (that would at least sell some tickets) or another player that they consider to be BPA with nr 10.

That might lead to Clausen falling to the Vikings who would take him.

Again in this scenario nobody are allowed to trade up to take McCoy and the Whiners should also keep their hands of him.

Scenario 3:
    Rams trade up to get him.

The question is how fare up do we have to go?

Trade partners coulde be:

27. Dallas
    They do not have that many big needs in the draft so they could be interested in a trade. Maybe our second pick this year and next year (with option of it being a 1 pick next year instead if Colt McCoy plays well as a rookie)? Or something similar.
    29. Jets
    Same as Dallas

We could probably also get a deal going with a team like Philly at nr 24 or the Patsies at nr 22 (they love to trade out of the first round). But that would probably be even more costly.

Maybe we could sweeten a deal with the Patsies by throwing in Carriker who would be good fit as a DE for their 3-4 defence, and they have had problems keeping pressure on their opponenents QB's last year.

The questions is "is Suh + Colt McCoy" worth losing an extra pick this year or next year?

My brains says go for Bradford and take BPA in the next rounds, unless we can get a big fat ransom for nr 33. There is no way that scenario 1 and 2 will happen. And trading up is to expensive with all our needs.

But my heart says go for Suh and trade up for Colt McCoy or Clausen (if he should still be there in the late tweenties). Take the chance SUH IS THE MAN!

I hope there are not to many spelling/gramma errors in my long post. English is not my main language.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: Are there a chance that Colt McCoy is still there at nr 33?

If Rams select Suh. I think Bradford falls to Seahags at six. I don't know if Redskins will take him.

If he makes it past Phily. I think McCoy will be there at 33. If he's gone some other options later in the draft.

I like several QB's in this draft. This is my order of the best QB's in the draft.
    1. Bradford
    2. McCoy
    3. Skelton
    4. Crompton
    5. Kafka.

It has been my perception with giving a QB time to develope he will be good. He has a chance to be a great QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    If Rams select Suh. I think Bradford falls to Seahags at six. I don't know if Redskins will take him.

If he makes it past Phily. I think McCoy will be there at 33. If he's gone some other options later in the draft.

I like several QB's in this draft. This is my order of the best QB's in the draft.
    1. Bradford
    2. McCoy
    3. Skelton
    4. Crompton
    5. Kafka.

It has been my perception with giving a QB time to develope he will be good. He has a chance to be a great QB.
    You don't have Clausen in top 5?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the chance of McCoy being there in the second is better than the chance he won't be.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I just made at quick count of the number of quarterback taken in the first round in the draft from 2000-2009

2000: 1
    2001: 1
    2002: 3
    2003: 4
    2004: 4
    2005: 3
    2006: 3
    2007: 2
    2008: 4
    2009: 3

In 70% of the cases there are taken 3 or more QB's in the first round. For what ever that info is worth

Surprised how many busts where amongst the names

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

My dream also is a Suh/McCoy Draft, even if we have to trade up a little bit to get him. I agree with you that if he gets past the whiners at 17, which I'm 90% sure he will, then I don't think anyone but the Vikings at 30 would be interested. I think we have a good shot at this happening without a trade.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    You don't have Clausen in top 5?
    Just think he is overated. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't want Rams to draft him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post

1. Bradford
    2. McCoy
    3. Skelton
    4. Crompton
    5. Kafka.

Those are the QB's I wouldn't mind Rams drafting in these rounds of the draft.

I guess I should just edit it.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think Colt makes it past Minnesota

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Vikes can find a starting Corner, I bet they pass on McCoy. If not, then he may be in Minny.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If the Vikes can find a starting Corner, I bet they pass on McCoy. If not, then he may be in Minny.
    They'd be hard pressed to pass on either position. Brad Childress can say he loves Tavaris Jackson until he's blue in the face, but that doesn't make him any better as a QB. If Favre comes back again next year, it makes the trade for Sage Rosenfells completely pointless and they almost have to draft a kid to come in and compete for a starting job by 2011.

I wouldn't completely write off the Vikings doing something crazy and taking a QB.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The issue with Minnesota is they're built to win now. Drafting a QB of the future doesn't help them accomplish that. This was a team that was an overtime loss away from the Super Bowl.

I think it's more likely they go for a player they can plug in somewhere right away to help them in 2010. They have needs both at cornerback and at safety, they could use help on the offensive line, they could elect to take a running back if the value is right.

I'm not going to say that I'll be shocked if they take a quarterback, but I suspect they'll prefer other positions if the value is close.

Also, let's keep in mind that the Vikings could go with a QB that's not McCoy. From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback this morning:

Favre succeeded by ... Tebow? The Vikings, who pick 30th in the first round, had a private workout with Florida quarterback/NFL temptor Tim Tebow Saturday. Though I think it's a long shot that Minnesota would use the 30th pick of the first round to take Tebow, it's interesting that coach Brad Childress and VP of personnel Rick Spielman, who have the draft-day juice, were both present for the workout, according to a Florida source.

All along I've felt Tebow needs to go to a spot where he can have a peaceful redshirt year or two, and assuming Brett Favre plays one or two more years (now we're getting ahead of ourselves), Tebow to the Vikes makes some sense, particularly if Childress feels he's the kind of prospect that two of the quarterback coaches he admires most -- Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren -- think he is.

Right now, I still think Minnesota takes a defensive back with their first round pick. McCoy is a possibility, but I think his chances are lower than some other options that would provide more immediate return.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Also, let's keep in mind that the Vikings could go with a QB that's not McCoy.
    As you know, Scott Wright concurs with the Tebow-Vikings hypothesis.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The issue with Minnesota is they're built to win now. Drafting a QB of the future doesn't help them accomplish that. This was a team that was an overtime loss away from the Super Bowl.

I think it's more likely they go for a player they can plug in somewhere right away to help them in 2010. They have needs both at cornerback and at safety, they could use help on the offensive line, they could elect to take a running back if the value is right.

I'm not going to say that I'll be shocked if they take a quarterback, but I suspect they'll prefer other positions if the value is close.

Also, let's keep in mind that the Vikings could go with a QB that's not McCoy. From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback this morning:

Right now, I still think Minnesota takes a defensive back with their first round pick. McCoy is a possibility, but I think his chances are lower than some other options that would provide more immediate return.
    Agreed. Their window of opportunity is shrinking. Favre may or may not come back, Edwards will soon be going to greener pastures, they have aging vets on both sides of the line, etc. Granted, they do have a solid roster of players, but I think they realize that they need to strike quickly before the team inevitably breaks apart.