AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

There are four types of draft prospects...

Draft prospects can be divided into four categories:

1. Productive/Measureable (The Blue Chip Players)
    Some players perform on the field and then measure well in the combine and pro days. These are the top, Blue Chip Players. Their measurables indicate that their performance in college will transfer to the NFL. (e.g. Mario Williams, A.J. Hawk)

2. Underperformer/Measurable (The Workout Warriors)
    Some players have great measureables, but didn't live up to their apparent potential when on the field in college. These players are a bit of a risk. Some players will blossom in the NFL, others will always be underachievers. (i.e. Manny Lawson, Sinorice Moss)

3. Productive/Unmeasurable (The Intangibles)
    Some players perform well on the field, but then don't test well, either in 40 times or strength exercises. Often, players like this are just good football players, even it they are not elite athletes. Other times, they are great college players who won't duplicate their performance when they reach the NFL. (i.e. Chad Greenway, Tamba Hali).

4. Unproductive/Unmeasureable (Don't draft these guys!)
    Though, every now and again...

The tough questions is, if you have a choice between a player in Category 2 or Category 3, which do you take?

I believe that Category 3 players are more often successful than Category 2 players. Forty times, bench pressing and other combine tests are just not a great measure for future performance.

Nonetheless, teams are always looking for the next star, which often steers them toward Category 2 players. That's why there are so many "busts." Great athletes don't always make great footaball players.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: There are four types of draft prospects...

I agree that category 3 players are usually a safer bet than category 2 players.
    Also, it should be noted that category 1 players don't always live up to expectations either. There are no absolute guarantees.
    Some of the best players in the NFL were not category 1players coming out of college.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: There are four types of draft prospects...

There is no doubt that Category 1 players can be busts. But when you have a guy who's peformed in college and then has great workouts, its hard to pass up a player like that.

I think the biggest mistake teams make is passing up C3s for C2s.