1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Is there a player you would trade up for?

Has been alot of talk about the teams needs and who we should take with our 19th pick. Got me to thinking about what it would cost us to trade up and who we should target. Seems to be a common thread to get a run stopping linebacker (if we don't handle in FA) or a shut down corner. Looks like they are all gone by the time we would pick.

"I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Is there a player you would trade up for?

I'd trade up for Derrick Johnson if he fell out of the top seven or Antrel Rolle if he fell out of the top ten. That's about it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Nick on Johnson and Rolle. I'd also trade up a spot or two (at a reasonable price) if it meant a shot at Jammal Brown, Shawne Merriman and possibly Adam "Pac Man" Jones.

If Alex Barron was sitting around the 12-14 spot, I'd think about making a deal to move up, as well. Also, I'd probably trade up in the second round for David Baas if there.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Since most acknowledge that the draft is a crap shoot, I hesitate to give away anything for unproven talent. If you are prepared to part with value then I would only exchange it for "tried & true" talent. Specifically a MLB. There seems little point in giving up the devil you know for the devil you don't.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Derrick Johnson....but that's it.

rampete is offline Registered User

i wouldn't trade up for any one of the top 15 players in the upcoming draft. this draft is strong in CBs and RBs, two positions that the rams are not in dire straits...although a third DB may be needed to shore up the nickel and dime packages...

some may say the DEs are strong as well but not exceptional by any means...the real blue chipper DEs are juniors and have decided to return to school for their senior year, most notably the kids from boston college and north carolina. i've seen the boston kid play and he does remind me of a prime simeon rice or charles haley of old...

linebackers may be the greatest need for the rams, next to a right tackle...but this draft is relatively weak in the linebacking pool...even derrick johnson of texas don't impress me that much...nothing like j. vilma and dj williams of miami last year... johnson reminds me a little of polley, as does kevin burnett of tenn., in that they are tall lanky and speedy guys that are great in pursuit but often gets run over by opposing lineman at the point of attack...by the way the linebacking pool of the 2006 draft is more promising with guys like a. hawk of ohio, w. derting of wash. and a. hodge of iowa...now these guys know how to tackle and get stalemates on linemen...

personally, i like the rams FO approach to selecting the best available player, not athlete, with the 1st pick...immediate needs should be addressed thru the FA, as soon as they can free up some cap money by signing pace and reworking the contracts of others...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Derrick Johnson is the real deal. He may be one of the best LB's to come out of college in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    by the way the linebacking pool of the 2006 draft is more promising with guys like a. hawk of ohio, w. derting of wash. and a. hodge of iowa...now these guys know how to tackle and get stalemates on linemen...
    Don't forget Ahmad Brooks. I think you've got a pretty strong point here.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Don't forget Ahmad Brooks. I think you've got a pretty strong point here.
    You can add Chad Greenway (Iowa) and D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland) to that list as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

This is true, bison.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Derrick Johnson is the real deal. He may be one of the best LB's to come out of college in a very long time.
    i guess i'm one of the few who don't quite subscribe to that point of view regarding johnson, especially having viewed four games on the tele this past season (and having two of those on tape: oklahoma and michigan). the initial impression i got from him is that he is very athletic and fast but there are stretches in those games where he seems to just disappear. johnson forces a fumble from jason white QB of OU by using his "tomahawk" swipes when tackling on one series but in the next three series he misses several tackles on adrian peterson of OU...on another draw/run play the OU te pancakes johnson...

i'm not going out of my way to point out that johnson is no good at all...in fact i think he is very promising, considering his athleticism and moxy. but to me, he's just a marginally better version of tommy polley...

now that i've made my opinions known i'm fully expecting derrick johnson in having a hall of fame career... :tongue: