Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bald_81
  • 1 Post By jerseyramsfan

Thread: There are two reasons why the Rams won't draft a QB in Round 1

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There are two reasons why the Rams won't draft a QB in Round 1

The first reason is the one that the team has conveyed to the public: Sam Bradford is their guy. They truly have faith that he will recover from his torn ACL and become the type of franchise QB that they envisioned when he was drafted. Whether fans, bloggers, radio hosts, TV personalities or sportswriters agree with this is immaterial. The Rams coaching staff and Front Office believe it, and that's all that matters in the end.

But, I believe, there is a second reason.

The 2014 QB class is underwhelming.

If this year's situation (Rams holding the 2nd pick while Sam is recovering from a torn ACL) occurred when Andrew Luck and RGIII were available, things might be different. Heck, if this situation presented itself next year when Jameis Winston is available, it might be different.

But this year's QB class is kind of "meh," if you ask me.

At the top, Teddy Bridgewater is a good prospect. He might prove to be a very good NFL starter. But, at this point, is there any reason to believe he'll be better than Sam? I'd say, "no."

Blake Bortles? Again... not exactly a guy you'd bet the house on.

Then there's Johnny Manziel. The range of opinions on him is large, from those who think he's the next Russell Wilson, to those who see him as the next Ty Detmer. I think he is vastly overrated, and question whether his style and size will translate to a difficulty staying healthy. In any event, no way I'd dump Sam for him.

I really hope that this will be Sam's year and we won't have to have this type of discussion next year. But... if we do... so be it. We can try to figure out then how to get a shot at Winston, Mariotta or Hundley if need be.

Right now, though... I don't see a QB in the 2014 who screams "Top 5" pick to me.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: There are two reasons why the Rams won't draft a QB in Round 1

This was a simple post stated the obvious --- That being said I really hope we take a chance on a guy late...like a Logan Thomas

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

For all the flack you give Bernie about his articles, this was a very Bernie-esque post if you ask me.

Only way the Rams would take a QB in the first round is if Sam's injury was career threatening. Since he was one of, if not the biggest, reasons Fisher decided to come to St. Louis it just makes little sense to give up on him after only two seasons. I would be surprised if the Rams go QB before the fourth round to be honest. Our first four picks (Rounds 1-3) should produce starters and/or significant contributors. After that it would be worthwhile to spend a selection on a developmental signal caller and maybe light a fire under Sam's arse in the process.
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    For all the flack you give Bernie about his articles, this was a very Bernie-esque post if you ask me.
    Yeah... I don't see that. In fact, I think you're just derailing the thread.

The point, which you seemed to have missed, is that, even if the Rams needed a new starter (they don't), this is a bad year to take a QB in the top 5.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-29-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

I agree with you. No way we take a QB early.

If we happen to trade down and have multiple 1st rounders next year. Then we make our move for a QB. I don't trust any of the QB's that will go early this year.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Bradford will really have to step up this year. If he gets injured again or has a bad year chances are we are picking in the top 10 next year and will need to address the QB spot then...
    Vinnie25 likes this.