View Poll Results: These four players on the board when we make our pick who do you take?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greenway, Chad, OLB Iowa

4 18.18%
  • Tye Hill CB CLEMSON

0 0%
  • Michael Huff SS TEXAS

16 72.73%
  • Jimmy Williams CB VT

0 0%
  • None of these guys

2 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: These four players on the board when we make our pick who do you take?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    If we filled the safety needs via free agency, linebacker would be a more attractive move in round one.
    Agreed, but looking at the free agenst that will be testing the market in March, it will be much easier to find a talented veteran LB that can make a difference on this team than a safety, especially if you factor in money. Looking at the list of safeties, I see maybe four or five guys that I would consider signing: Chris Hope, Lance Schulters, Corey Chavous, maybe a Dexter Jackson or a Joseph Jefferson, and then resigning Archuleta. All of them are bound to get a lot of attention.

Now look at the available LBs. While there are really only four FA safeties I'd really feel comfortable checking out and maybe adding to the team, here are the FA linebackers I think the Rams would be wise to look at:Akin Ayodele, Ben Taylor, Cato June, David Thornton, Hunter Hillenmeyer, James Davis, Julian Peterson, Keith Newman, Nick Greisen, Scott Fujita, Warrick Holdman, and Will Witherspoon. So that's 12 FA linebackers I'd consider looking at compared to four or maybe five guys that I'd like to look at for safety.

The addition speaks for itself. Not only does the draft seem to be deep at linebacker, but free agency is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Tye Hill isnt worthy of a first round selection.
    Not worth ANY first round selection, or just our's?

I like Atogwe and I think that there are some solid Safeties later on in the draft.
    Again, the problem is immediate and significant upgrade. You don't get a huge upgrade at the position by drafting Pat Watskins or Roman Harper or Anthony Smith in the mid rounds, because we already have two mid-round safeties that need developed. Why add more of those? If we're going to add to the position, I think it should be someone who's going to come in and have an immediate impact as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    And take over for Atogwe? A 3rd Round pick last year
    Atogwe can compete with Carter to start at the SS position, should Huff be the starting FS.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Again, the problem is immediate and significant upgrade. You don't get a huge upgrade at the position by drafting Pat Watskins or Roman Harper or Anthony Smith in the mid rounds, because we already have two mid-round safeties that need developed. Why add more of those? If we're going to add to the position, I think it should be someone who's going to come in and have an immediate impact as a starter.
    Well, there's no telling who's going to come in and make an impact. I'm taking the stance of selecting the best player available. Most likely, that will be Vernon Davis. Huff may be good, but there's no telling how long it will take him to grasp the speed or intricacies of the game. Atogwe seems to have taken steps toward grasping that.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Well, there's no telling who's going to come in and make an impact.
    Point taken, but do you really think you're going to get more of an immediate impact from a third round safety like Watkins or Pollard than you would from Huff or Jimmy Williams?

Which safety from 2004's class made more of an immediate impact? Sean Taylor or Stuart Schweigert? In 2003, Troy Polamalu or Chris Crocker? In 2002, Ed Reed or Willie Offord?

You can get quality safeties in the later rounds. My point isn't to suggest you can't. But when you're trying to address an immediate need specifically at this position, I think you need to get the best possible player.

I'm taking the stance of selecting the best player available. Most likely, that will be Vernon Davis.
    I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it's not like it's Vernon Davis and everyone else. I don't think the difference in BPA between Davis and other players potentially available there is so huge that we'd nearly be forced to take him because of value.

Huff may be good, but there's no telling how long it will take him to grasp the speed or intricacies of the game.
    There's no telling how long it will take ANYONE to grasp the speed or intricacies of the game! Maybe we should trade away all our draft picks then.

Atogwe seems to have taken steps toward grasping that.
    If he has, they've been baby steps at best. Played in four games, impressive in one. He had a strong finish, but so did Hargrove in 2004 and that didn't translate into a great 2005.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-16-2006 at 11:50 PM.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it's not like it's Vernon Davis and everyone else. I don't think the difference in BPA between Davis and other players potentially available there is so huge that we'd nearly be forced to take him because of value.
    You did a nice job of dissecting my argument. To be honest, the more tape that I break down of Huff, the less I like him. Vernon Davis is too much of a playmaker to pass up though. Although this is a deep draft at TE, we still need a great TE to help Linehan's offense run correctly.

If he has, they've been baby steps at best. Played in four games, impressive in one. He had a strong finish, but so did Hargrove in 2004 and that didn't translate into a great 2005.
    I've said before that perhaps not hearing his name, was better than the other. I never saw him get burned for a TD. Perhaps he was the same playmaker that he was at Stanford. Fairly quiet, but was able to shut down half the field. Atogwe has a lot of upside and potential. Jerome Carter is a guy whom I would love to see slide in at OLB if Arch is brought back. I get the feeling that he could be a great OLB.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Agreed, but looking at the free agenst that will be testing the market in March, it will be much easier to find a talented veteran LB that can make a difference on this team than a safety, especially if you factor in money. Looking at the list of safeties, I see maybe four or five guys that I would consider signing: Chris Hope, Lance Schulters, Corey Chavous, maybe a Dexter Jackson or a Joseph Jefferson, and then resigning Archuleta. All of them are bound to get a lot of attention.

Now look at the available LBs. While there are really only four FA safeties I'd really feel comfortable checking out and maybe adding to the team, here are the FA linebackers I think the Rams would be wise to look at:Akin Ayodele, Ben Taylor, Cato June, David Thornton, Hunter Hillenmeyer, James Davis, Julian Peterson, Keith Newman, Nick Greisen, Scott Fujita, Warrick Holdman, and Will Witherspoon. So that's 12 FA linebackers I'd consider looking at compared to four or maybe five guys that I'd like to look at for safety.

The addition speaks for itself. Not only does the draft seem to be deep at linebacker, but free agency is as well.

Not worth ANY first round selection, or just our's?

Atogwe can compete with Carter to start at the SS position, should Huff be the starting FS.
    Atogwe is a FS not a SS.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Atogwe is a FS not a SS.
    He played both FS and SS in college. He was their starter at SS in 2002 and FS in 2003. He is by no means strictly a FS.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, i hear you loud and clear as to the fact that there are more available linebackers that attract you in free agency than safeties. In fairness, i think you have to take into account numbers wise that there are three starting linebackers per team (and in some cases 4 linebackers) but no one starts more than two safeties. Thus, at least in theory, there is more competition for the linebackers since there are more total jobs to fill. Just a thought.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

denverram is offline Registered User

Michael Huff is a game changer. He can play any defensive back position and make an impact. If we have that kind of versatility back there think how you can game plan and deal with injuries.

Michael Huff Rocks!!!:clanram:

jason is offline Registered User

huff because he could possibly play cb as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12