View Poll Results: Who do you want in the first round?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

0 0%
  • LaRon Landry, S, LSU

3 7.89%
  • Lawrence Timmons, OLB, FSU

3 7.89%
  • Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

20 52.63%
  • Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia

0 0%
  • Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

1 2.63%
  • Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

1 2.63%
  • Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi

6 15.79%
  • Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State

1 2.63%
  • DeMarcus Tyler, DT, NC State

0 0%
  • Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame

0 0%
  • Someone else (who?)

3 7.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which of these players would you want with the first pick?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which of these players would you want in the first round?

NOTE: I've only included players who currently project as being available with the 13th pick (i.e. no Branch, Adams or Anderson).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-17-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Which of these players would you want with the first pick?

Out of those prospects, my final four would be Amobi Okoye (with an O), Lawrence Timmons, Patrick Willis, and LaRon Landry. Given our needs on the defensive line, I'd probably be tempted to go Okoye at this point.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd have to go with Okoye, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Timmons, Carriker, Puz, or Willis.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I voted for the "someone else" category: Ted Ginn, Jr. I really don't believe the Rams will be drafting back 7 players (LBs, or DBs) at the 13th pick in the first round. If a DL prospect that they think is worth the 13th pick is there then they'll pull the trigger. Personally I don't see where the Rams have a major problem with the play of the back seven on this D. Haven't really heard a discouragin' word (the same cannot be said for the subpar DL play) from Haslett about them. The Rams are going to be looking for an impact player who can contribute quickly and Ginn can do that once K. Curtis leaves (all but a foregone conclusion at this point).
    There is one caveat I'd like to make: In the event the Rams trade down to lower third of the draft, then a player like Okoye or possibly even Willis would be a strong probabilty. But neither will be taken with the 13th pick by the Rams at this point.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    There is one caveat I'd like to make: In the event the Rams trade down to lower third of the draft, then a player like Okoye or possibly even Willis would be a strong probabilty. But neither will be taken with the 13th pick by the Rams at this point.
    Why do you think that's the case?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why do you think that's the case?
    Because I don't believe that either P. Willis or A. Okoye have enough value to be picked at 13; but their value will be enhanced at the lower third of the draft. The reasoning for this analysis is as follows:
    1.) P.Willis has played MLB the majority of his college career. Moving him to SLB (since all indications are that Spoon will stay at Mike LB) would require a position change and this is a gamble I don't think the Rams are willing to take with a high draft pick. Contrast this to the fact that T. Ginn will be playing the same position in the Pro's as in college.

2.) A. Okoye is only 19 y/o and with the learning curve already steep for young DT's, who really can project how long it will be before he develops sufficiently to warrant being selected at #13? Again, at a lower region of the draft board, this would not be as much a concern.

WHAT SAY YE?

Drew is offline Registered User

okoye may be young but in the next 3 years he couldnt do a worse job than fat jimmy has done in the last 3 and in 3 years time when Okoye is 22 he will have 3 years experiance in the NFL and still be no older than the DT draftees of that year!whoever we draft at DT will likely need a year or two to be good NFL standard players some may make the grade almost instantly but i say its still more likely that they wont!

anyway i say fix the gate with FA and build the bridge with the draft! (did i really say that?? argh what the heck im posting it!)

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Patrick Willis hands down.
    timsum1283 likes this.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Because I don't believe that either P. Willis or A. Okoye have enough value to be picked at 13

2.) A. Okoye is only 19 y/o and with the learning curve already steep for young DT's, who really can project how long it will be before he develops sufficiently to warrant being selected at #13? Again, at a lower region of the draft board, this would not be as much a concern.
    Like all draft picks, part of the value of a prospect is in his potential. And Okoye's is sky high, which in part makes him more of a risky pick but in a rather weak class for big run stuffing tackles I'm willing to take the chance.

If you don't think he has good value at the 13 spot though, I would challenge you to look at the opinions of a number of draft analysts:

• NFL Draft Countdown has Okoye rated as the 14th best prospect in the class
    • Both Draft Countdown and The Sporting News currently have Amobi going at 9th overall to Miami
    • The Sporting News comments of Okoye: "...in two seasons Okoye will be the best defensive tackle from this year's class."
    • Mel Kiper has Okoye listed 13th on his big board which includes juniors
    • Todd McShay (director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc) has Okoye going 12th overall to Buffalo in his January 9th projection
    • Scouts Inc has Okoye rated as their 15th best prospect overall

Obviously draft analysts aren't perfect in their projections or assessments, but the consensus opinion seems to be that Okoye is a top prospect and does carry a value that would make him a good option @ 13th overall.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I know it wont happen but i love Reggie Nelson even though thats not the possision we need right away.I would love to have him because he is a hard hiting,good sight for the ball, and all above GREAT safty.He is more of a personal interest then a needed player for the Rams lol.
    It is an opinion though right

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

I voted for Willis. He is a stud. Think it would make our Linebacking core one of the best in the league. I would rather have us sign a free agent DT who has experience. I have a sour taste in my mouth after all those 1st rounders on DT's. Apparently the Patriots have all kinds of success with it though. Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork. I hope they lose this sunday. I hate them.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I like Okoye, Posluszny, or Willis. I voted Okoye, though. I'd prefer that we get a defensive end in free agency and/or look for one in the lower rounds of the draft.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Re: Which of these players would you want in the first round?

We CANNOT win with Kennedy on the interior. Okoye

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: Which of these players would you want in the first round?

Easy... Lawrence Timmons
    Built RAM tough

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

At this moment in time, Okoye appears to be the best available where we pick, and he is at a position of need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast