throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The thing that makes me hesitate with Tavon Austin...

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: The thing that makes me hesitate with Tavon Austin...

Every year for many years when the Rams got someone >6 feet tall they are declared a threat in the redzone. Now they are going to go with two starters < 6'.

VERY unlikely.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Where did all the hype come from? When he ran a 4.34, he became a different prospect than when he was thought to run a 4.40+.
    I dont watch ncaa football on a regular basis but Austins hype was started WELL before the combine. And he unofficially clocked a 4.23 at the combine, but a 4.35 is just as good, imo. Plus his 40 time, you can see on any game or highlight you watch of him. Even if he ran a 4.5, id still want him becuase i consinstantly seen him run run past, away, and even split through multiple defenders.

He would never probably be a 80 catch 1200 yard wr. But i bet he puts up double digit tds (or close to it) and gains 20+yds a touch consistantly in the nfl. His 175lb frame is his downfall, not his height.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I unofficially ran a 4.18 forty at the Combine.

Officially, I was not even there.
    Tampa_Ram and berg8309 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I unofficially ran a 4.18 forty at the Combine.

Officially, I was not even there.
    You must be Deon Sandcastle..... Leons little brother!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    He would never probably be a 80 catch 1200 yard wr. But i bet he puts up double digit tds (or close to it) and gains 20+yds a touch consistantly in the nfl. His 175lb frame is his downfall, not his height.
    Exactly... so why is he worth the 16th or 22nd pick in the draft? Amendola was shifty as all get out, but it didn't help him score TD's despite being Sam's go to target. 20 yards a touch is hard to do, especially if you're talking about getting runs out of the backfield. If you could put your future glasses on, and guarantee that, then we're talking HOF worthy.

Onto the second point, which you make in response to RebelYell, in that his weight not his height is his downfall. Yes and no. Ray Rice may be 5'8", and more importantly, I believe MJD is 5'7" or actually under by a hair... and both are pro-bowl/all-pro backs. The difference is that they have 40-50 more pounds of muscle on their bodies that keep them (somewhat)durable. The argument that a shifty guy is less likely to get hurt because he'll shifty his way out of hits is absurd. Everyone gets hit, and when you do, it's better to be the sportscar as opposed to the motorcycle. When that SUV or Mack truck hits you, you might just live.

The reason why he won't be an 80 catch receiver is because the 70 hits he takes on the non-TD's(assuming only one hit per catch) will destroy him. That or he'll run out of bounds and leave yards on the field... and that won't get him his 1200 yards or 20ypt...
    I believe!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Exactly... so why is he worth the 16th or 22nd pick in the draft? Amendola was shifty as all get out, but it didn't help him score TD's despite being Sam's go to target.....
    Amendola was shifty but not fast. There is a huge difference. Tavon Austin is just as shifty and maybe even moreso, and has sprinter speed. That makes him a far more dangerous weapon than Amendola.

The reason why he's worth our 16th or 22nd pick, is because he is the most explosive and multidemensional playmaker in the draft.

And for a team severely lacking in that department, he seems like a no-brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Exactly... so why is he worth the 16th or 22nd pick in the draft? Amendola was shifty as all get out, but it didn't help him score TD's despite being Sam's go to target. 20 yards a touch is hard to do, especially if you're talking about getting runs out of the backfield. If you could put your future glasses on, and guarantee that, then we're talking HOF worthy.

Onto the second point, which you make in response to RebelYell, in that his weight not his height is his downfall. Yes and no. Ray Rice may be 5'8", and more importantly, I believe MJD is 5'7" or actually under by a hair... and both are pro-bowl/all-pro backs. The difference is that they have 40-50 more pounds of muscle on their bodies that keep them (somewhat)durable. The argument that a shifty guy is less likely to get hurt because he'll shifty his way out of hits is absurd. Everyone gets hit, and when you do, it's better to be the sportscar as opposed to the motorcycle. When that SUV or Mack truck hits you, you might just live.

The reason why he won't be an 80 catch receiver is because the 70 hits he takes on the non-TD's(assuming only one hit per catch) will destroy him. That or he'll run out of bounds and leave yards on the field... and that won't get him his 1200 yards or 20ypt...
    I actually said he WONT probably ever get 1200yds OR 80 catches. BuT i can see him breaking 20+yd gains consistantly.... Not averaging 20yds a touch.... Lmao it looks like u missread my entire post becuase i also said his weight not height WILL be an issue.... That bein said, no, he wont be HoF worthy, well maybe for special teams, lol. And ill still take him in the 1st rd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123