Colt McCoy, Texas
    Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan

Tier 3 (Fourth/Fifth Round Prospects)
    Tony Pike, Cincinnati
    Levi Brown, Troy
    Jarrett Brown, West Virginia

Tier 4 (Sixth Round or later)
    Everyone Else

Note: Before we get off on a tangent, let me say that I am aware that there are many who have Tony Pike in Tier 2 and Tim Tebow in Tier 2 or 3. Let's just agree to disagree on those.

Now... here's my worry...

Where do you value the Tier 2 QBs?

At this point, I feel as though Colt McCoy and Dan LeFevour would both be reaches at pick number 33. However, I also think there is a very good chance that both will be gone by pick number 65.

In a perfect world, the Rams woudl trade from pick 33 to a pick in the middle of the second round, get McCoy or LeFevour, and obtain an extra pick in the process. But what if such a trade is not available?

My fear is that the Rams pass on the Tier 1 QBs in Round 1, pass on the Tier 2 QBs at pick No. 33, and then find themselves at the top of Round 3 with the choice of going with a Tier 3 QB or "Door Number 2" (Bulger, Boller, Null, ???).

If the Rams share this concern, it could push them towards taking Bradford first. However, that would the wrong reason to take Bradford. If they think he's worth the first pick, then they should take him. Taking him because of need is very risky.

Its issues like this that make me glad I'm not the GM.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: The Thing That Worries Me Most About The Second Tier QBs

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    At this point, I feel as though Colt McCoy and Dan LeFevour would both be reaches at pick number 33. However, I also think there is a very good chance that both will be gone by pick number 65.
    I very seriously doubt McCoy goes in the second round. With the last image in most peoples minds is either him getting thrown to the ground by Suh or him getting pancaked by the Bama defense. I have also seen alot of analyst say that he wasnt being thought of as a second round guy in the first place. They could be wrong in that assumption but I would agree with that statement.

On LeFevour, I have the same concern as you do. I fear he is improving his stock to fast for us to grab him in the third.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Very good points Av.. I'd like to also add that the RAMS are concerned about season ticket sales and filling the seats at the dome. So does drafting a DT with the 1st pick help in that arena? Possibly if the 2nd pick is a QB. However picking a QB with the 1st pick IMHO brings the interest or at least alot more curiosity from the fans. Having said all that I still want us to pick Suh with our 1st.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

This is why I think it's silly to say "we need to get X in the second round". You can't make that statement when you don't know what's going to be available. The Rams may not draft a QB at all if they feel better players are always standing out needing to be drafted when it's their turn.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    This is why I think it's silly to say "we need to get X in the second round". You can't make that statement when you don't know what's going to be available. The Rams may not draft a QB at all if they feel better players are always standing out needing to be drafted when it's their turn.
    That's right. The Rams might not see any QB as the BPA at the point that any selection is made.

The problem is... who will play QB then (both in 2010 and beyond)?

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Alot of people here seem to be perfectly ok with just using what we already have...which seems weird after three seasons of wild protests against just such a thing.

I don't honestly know what to think of our first pick. I have the same concerns you do about the later quarterbacks. Suh is obviously a good prospect and I'm not one of those "what, you can't pay a DT *that* much money!" people...but I do worry that if we draft Suh and take the "but there's lots of QBs in the draft!" approach we'll wind up with four backup quarterbacks on our roster and no starter.

I guess the upside of the same sorry offense is that Suh will be playing....

alot.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Honestly my biggest concern about the second, third and fourth tier quarterbacks is fan expectation.

With the right coaching and time to develop I think McCoy, LeFevour, Tony Pike, Levi Brown, Jarrett Brown and yes Tebow can become our starting quarterback.

In my opinion the odds are that all of these guys need a year to sit and a year of starting before they hit their stride and perform to the best of their ability in year 3.

Too many people want a win now answer. If he sits a year they will grumble. If he loses 3 of his first 5 games his second year they will start throwing out the "Bust" threads. If we end his second year with a losing record there will be demands of trading him or drafting a new qb.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think that's why Vick/McNabb/T.Jackson become such viable options.

Many of you don't want these guys but they could play QB this season while a young QB Tier 2 and below develops.

Putting your personal issues aside with the Free Agent himself, it isn't a bad idea to have a Free Agent signed (or via trade) so that if you plan doesn't work out you at least have door C.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I'm of the opinion that if you don't draft Bradford (or Clausen in a trade down), then you simply don't draft a QB this year. I don't want a roster full of backups. We have guys with potential on the roster in Null and Reilly, why would we be bringing in guys like Pike, Lefevour, etc. who are probably further back in their adjustment to the pro game than Null or Reilly.

Either draft Bradford this year, or go another position next year and wait another year for a Quarterback (of course in that time we may see Null or Reilly emerge as the guy we want to invest time in). Can't wait for Bradford's pro day, a lot of questions will be answered, and we'll be a lot surer of what direction the Rams will go in the draft.

Is door C between Door 2 and 3? =)

I wouldn't oppose your suggestion, though I don't know about Vick.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

In my opinion, we either go QB in round 1, or no QB at all. Let's face it. This is a QB dominant league now. Everybody wants a great QB.

And with that being said, round 1 QB's logically have a better chance of succeeding than lower rounds. When a QB is projected to go in round 1, they usually are pretty good, and have a number of things that they do very well.

My concern about QB's not projected to go in round 1 is that they're projected like that for a reason. They either have a couple major problems with their game, or they do many little things wrong. And yes, some of these QB's can be developed, but most of them turn out to be nothing but back-ups and journeymen.

To me, the QB we draft should be top tier. If they aren't, we don't bother drafting him.

The exception would be if they're from a smaller school, and they're projected to not go as high due to their "inexperience with playing against higher level competition."

rammiser is offline Registered User

My question is even though Bradford and Clausen are the top ranked qb's in the draft does that mean they are going to be good qb's? I really don't care for any of the qb's coming out so I'd be inclined to get a free agent qb to start and hope to land Locker next year. We can draft any of the guys this year but I dont see starting material in any of them. I also didnt and dont feel Stafford will ever be very good either, just my opinion of course. Even though the Lions took him first because in their mind he was best available of what I considered another weak qb class. I'd rather draft Suh build a tough defense and a power running game and just have a veteran qb who can manage the game. If a guy is best available qb but the qb class isnt very good does he really need to be picked first overall?
    Just Fix It

sashadpb is offline Registered User

Agree with previus couple of posts. We have 1-15 and we have too many holes in team. Maybe is better for us skiping QB on draft this year than Drafting Bradford with bad arm. Take some QB in FA, on Draft take Suh in 1st, some LB in 2nd and OT in 3rd. Than next year we'll have monster defence, stronger OL and it would be easier for rookie QB.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's right. The Rams might not see any QB as the BPA at the point that any selection is made.

The problem is... who will play QB then (both in 2010 and beyond)?
    2010: Bulger. 2011: Either Locker, Mallet or whoever else is rated at a first round talent.

I'd consider this to be the actual Door #2, and in many ways its more attractive long term than Bradford; said 2011 QBs are better than Bradford, and there aren't enough bad NFL teams who are going to also be QB hunting for the Rams to worry that there won't be a QB when the Rams make their Top-10 selection. This is especially if we plan on having Bradford ride the pine to learn for any stretch of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast