ramhard is offline Registered User

Things are breaking nicely so far

I like how the offseason is shaping up so far. The importance of signing 2 starting LBs is that this years LB crop in the draft is weak (outside of Derrick Johnson) and now they don't have to reach with the 1st pick. If someone like Channing drops way own in the 2nd they can consider, but only as the best pick.

OL is strong this year, stronger at the OG, weaker at the OT but with some depth, so going OT in the first is okay. Several teams are signing vet OT in FA so that might mean that Brown/Barnes are more likely to be around at 19.

The DB crop is also strong this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to back DB picks with the 2nd and 1st 3rd.

My wildcard is TE. I have a feeling that one of the two top TE's will be available at 19 (Miller and Smith) and the Rams will think seriously about pulling the trigger. If there is a run on OT and Barron/Brown/Barnes (hey all B's) are gone by #19 then I bet they go TE, followed-up with OT/OG in the 2nd and then go DB.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Things are breaking nicely so far

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    If someone like Channing drops way own in the 2nd they can consider, but only as the best pick.
    Not very likely to happen, I don't think.

OL is strong this year, stronger at the OG, weaker at the OT but with some depth, so going OT in the first is okay. Several teams are signing vet OT in FA so that might mean that Brown/Barnes are more likely to be around at 19.

The DB crop is also strong this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to back DB picks with the 2nd and 1st 3rd.
    I'm thinking safety in 2nd, corner in third... assuming the Rams go O-line in the first. They could very easily go corner in the 1st and safety in the second, then look at the depth at the OT position in the third. There will probably be some nice young prospects available in the second or third round depending on who has OT on their board. Guys like Britt or Willis or Munoz may be had in the late second or early third if teams seeking OTs are getting them in FA rather than the first and second round.

My wildcard is TE. I have a feeling that one of the two top TE's will be available at 19 (Miller and Smith) and the Rams will think seriously about pulling the trigger. If there is a run on OT and Barron/Brown/Barnes (hey all B's) are gone by #19 then I bet they go TE, followed-up with OT/OG in the 2nd and then go DB.
    TE Alex Smith in the first would be a pretty big reach, IMO. If he's there in the second, great.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Hey nick, Shouldn't you put Chillar's pic in the mix instead of Thomas?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Ramantix is offline Registered User

I like how the offseason is shaping up so far.

My wildcard is TE. I have a feeling that one of the two top TE's will be available at 19 (Miller and Smith) and the Rams will think seriously about pulling the trigger.
    I agree...Getting two quality LBs was huge!
    But I don't believe in going TE in Round 1 (unless one is too good to pass up). The DBs are solid this year so perhaps value is in later rounds, 2 or 3. I'd go O-line in the 1st...but...If a certain somebody's not signin'....I wouldn't mind a trade up to go after Antrel Rolle...
    ...or even Mike Too-Good-To-Pass-Up Williams
    ...or a future 1st round pick (who ever gets Reggie Bush, Oh, My, God!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Hey nick, Shouldn't you put Chillar's pic in the mix instead of Thomas?
    Probably, but the only picture I can find of Chillar as a Ram has him tackling Larry Fitzgerald, and you can't really see him. :\

rammiser is offline Registered User

If the Rams want a TE, forget drafting one. I would love to see the Rams try to land Marcus Pollard recently released in Indy. Can you imagine having a recieving threat at te. Pollard has excellent speed for a te and I think would excell in St. Louis. I'd like to see either de or cb drafted with our first pick.

Go Rams Time to Re-Tool!!! :ramlogo:

The problem with signing Pollard is that the Rams have already heavily invested in TE Brandon Manumaleuna (he's under contract for four more seasons), and unless they plan to use a lot of two-TE sets, they're not going to make a second invest - this time with Pollard - work out very well.

If you're going to give Pollard the kind of free agent contract he'd probably demand, you're going to have to make good use of him. Now, if you can get him to sign close to the vet's minimum, it'd be a great signing. He's not a great run blocker, but he'll stretch the field and give the Rams yet another target in the passing game, especially in the red zone.

If we could sign Pollard to replace Cleeland without a substantial hit against the cap, I'd be all for it. If not, someone like Dreessen in the third round would be more than an adequate #2 tight end.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Manu contract cap reasonable

You're right Manu is it for one more year, but his contract is actually cap friendly (though he's still overpaid), and he could easily be cut next year if he doesn't improve without substantial cap penalty.

If cut in 05 the cost would be $1.6M in prorated bonus - $500k bonus - $625,000 salary = $475,000 cap hit + whatever paid to the player to take his place.

If cut in 06 the cost would be $1.2M in prorated bonus - $1.325M so a savings of $105,000 + cost of replacement player.

So while he is probably not going anywhere, he is not 100% safe either this year or next. With next year him really being vulnerable, as cutting him or keeping him is a cap wash.

Manumaleuna's five-year, deal, which includes a $2 million signing bonus, is for $8.35 million. Manumaleuna receives base salaries of $775,000 in '04; $625,000 in '05; $1.325 million in '06; $1.475 million in '07; and $1.525 million in '08. He also gets an offseason workout bonus of $25,000 in all five years of the contract and is due a $500,000 roster bonus at the start of the '05 league year. The deal counts only $1.2 million against the cap in 2004 and never counts more than $1.95 million against the cap in any year.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

While I won't pretend I understand the cap (I am not good at the numbers thing unless it relates to electrical or plumbing, or physics) I don't really think we need another TE. We have a great bunch of recieving threats, and with the addition of Jackson last year, we can threaten in the running game as well. I do see a huge need for shoring up the OL, but I am not sure if a TE will really do us any good. I would rather see our money go to one of our really weak areas...like ST, or D, or even our O-line. So far, I have no complaints with our signings....I just hope we continue like we have so far.