Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RAMarkable
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39

Thread: THolt Mock Off-Season 1.0

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

THolt Mock Off-Season 1.0

Hate to be doing this is December, but what else do we really have to look towards at this point. Here is my take on a mock offseason.

Management Changes:

General Manager - John Dorsey

As GM Ted Thompson’s right hand man, Dorsey is a scout by trade who rarely lets a prospect slip by his eye. The former Connecticut LB has played a significant role in the Packer’s success over the past decade. John will go to far reaches of the country to find players. Some Director’s will grade only the “top” rated prospects. Dorsey will grade every player at each school trying to find the next “diamond in the rough.” I think he is going to be the top GM on the Market.

Head Coach - Rob Ryan, Cowboys, Defensive Coordinator

Our defense switches to a 3-4, and we bring in the top assistant coach available. Ryan comes in and immediately puts his stamp on this team and his face on this team. It would be quite the change going from a coach who has so little confidence in his players he is willing to take a field goal over a touchdown with plenty of time left on the clock to score, and who knees out the clock... To someone who is extremely confident in his players no matter their talent level...Give me the guy with confidence over the loser with no confidence.

Offensive Coordinator - Tom Clements, Packers, Quarterbacks Coach

John Dorsey comes in and recommends to Rex to bring in Tom Clements, the Packers QB coach. He has been an OC before with the Bills, and his job with Aaron Rodgers cannot go overlooked. He also coached Brett for a few years. He was a very successful CFL QB, winning the championship twice. He will come in and re-implement the WCO, and Sam Bradford will be relieved to work with one of the top QB minds in the NFL.

Tom Clements picks rest of Offensive Staff.

Defensive Coordinator - Matt Eberflus, Cowboys, Linebackers Coach

Currently the Linebackers coach with Dallas, Eberflus coached in Cleveland for one year with Rob before Rob bought him over to Dallas. He has been a linebacker coach for many years, and this hiring would be sort of a homecoming considering he was the Mizzou DC from 2001-20008. Obviously, Rob will be calling the plays.

Rob/Matt pick rest of Defensive Staff.

Free Agency:

I am not going to get into who won't be returning, just who will be coming.

Demetrius Bell, LT, Buffalo

Bell is another under-the-radar player capable of protecting the blindside and is a vital piece to the Bills' offense with an expiring contract. Though he's an above average pass protector, he's an even better run blocker for the left side. The Bills have some work to be done to keep all of the pieces together, which could allow Bell to slip through the cracks into free agency. He would immediately slide in as our LT, Saffold to RT. Thus keeping our options very open in the draft.

Aubrayo Franlin, DT, Saints

It was little alarming that Franklin received as little interest as he did this offseason, receiving only a one-year deal from the Saints. He probably won't even garner as much attention as he did last season after moving to a less glamorous 40 front for interior linemen. Depending on his production this year, he could be a nice under-the-radar acquisition. We just got our NT in our new 3-4 Scheme.

Anthony Spencer, OLB, Cowboys

Spencer hasn't emerged as he was poised to do two seasons ago, but is about as good a left outside linebacker as the league has to offer. He's a strong run defender and capable of putting some pressure on the quarterback. Though he benefits from playing opposite the league's best outside linebacker, Spencer should have a small niche market pursuing his services this offseason. The first player I have Rob bringing over to us from his former teams. This signing continues to improve our defense, and allows Long to stay at D End, where he starred in a 3-4 at Virginia.

D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Cleveland

I have got to be honest, this signing would be my favorite. Jackson is one of the most underrated, under appreciated linebackers in the NFL. Coming off an injury plagued year, the Browns only gave him a one year deal. Here is a quote from Rob Ryan who loves DQwell Jackson: “The sky’s the limit,” Ryan said. “I believe any scheme is gonna feature a young man like that. “He’s got a lot of speed and tons of talent.” Man, we are looking good, and making moves that aren't going to put us in debt, or that I think are unrealistic.

Tracy Porter, CB, Saints

Tracy will forever be remembered for the pick-6 on Peyton in the Super Bowl that won it for the Saints. He is a very underrated CB in my opinion, and won't command top dollar on the market due to injury concerns. This would be another under the radar signing that would continue to point our arrow ^. Also, who knows with the health of Bartell and Fletcher.

Mock Draft

First Round (Second Overall): Rams Select Justin Blackmon, WR, OK St.

After the Rams heavily address their new 3-4 scheme in the free agency period, it is time to bolster up the offense. A big, physical, super competitive wideout with reliable hands, Blackmon may lack elite timed speed but he is more than fast enough with the pads on. He is going to shine lining up across from BLoyd. The Rams WRs suddenly go from one of the worst in the NFL, to one of the top tier with one draft pick. This pick goes without saying after the signing of Demetrius Bell.

Second Round (Thirty-Fourth Overall): Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa St.

The top guard on the board, and the Rams continue to fill holes. He is 6'5 335 pounds, and could be a first round pick. Osemele is going to be a prospect that NFL scouts and teams love. He possesses great size and good athletic ability. His potential is through the roof which is what could facilitate a major jump up draft boards. He is a powerful player with the ability to pass protect and run block. His strong lower half allows him to anchor after contact and avoid being pushed into the pocket.

Third Round (Sixty-Sixth Overall): Chris Polk, RB, Washington

This pick could just as easily be LaMichael James, which I will be perfectly happy with as well. Let either one of these guys groom behind SJ, and we are looking at our future RB. I just like Polk more as a prospect though, which is why I'd prefer him over James. Polk has been very productive throughout his career and at times carried a struggling Washington program. He is a tough runner that does the majority of his damage between the tackles. His best attribute is his ability to identify the opening and pick his way through the defense. Polk is a reliable target out of the backfield and does a good job plucking the ball with his hands.

Fourth Round (One-Hundred Overall): Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas

At 6'5 271, Bequette is the type of player that surprises people. He is not great at any one thing but works hard and plays to his strengths. His size and playing style makes him a good fit for the 5 technique position. As you know, the NFL is seeing a major push to the 3-4 scheme making the demand for 5 techniques high. He immediately comes in as a starter as our LDE. Bequette plays like a 5 technique as he likes to get his hands on the lineman and plays two gap football. However, he needs to add more bulk and strength to hold up at that position in the NFL.

Fifth Round: Brandon Lloyd Trade

Sixth Round (One-Hundred Sixty-Fourth Overall): William Vlachos, C, Alabama

William Vlachos is not the type of player that is going to wow anyone athletically. He doesn't have great measurements nor will he run an impressive 40 time. What Vlachos lacks in athleticism he makes up for with his technically sound play. He is able to quickly snap the ball and get his hands up on the defender. His hands are routinely inside allowing him to lock on and control. He is going to be a starting C in the NFL, and starting on a team like Bama will always make a player NFL Ready. He is undersized which will help him fall.

Seventh Round (One-Hundred Ninety-Sixth Overall): Vince Browne, DE/OLB, Northwestern

Good depth pick. He will be a solid backup for our DE and OLB. His sack totals have increased from 4 to 5 to 7 last season. Browne was one of the Big Ten's better defensive linemen last, finishing with 58 tackles and 15.5 tackles for loss. Solid all around player.

Depth Chart:

QB: Sam Bradford/AJ Feeley
    RB: Steven Jackson/Chris Polk/Cadillac Williams
    FB: Britt Miller
    WR: Brandon Lloyd/Justin Blackmon/Danny Amendola/Greg Salas/Austin Pettis
    TE: Lance Kendricks/Michael HooMan
    LT: Demetrius Bell
    LG: Kelechi Osemele
    C: William Vlachos
    RG: Harvey Dahl
    RT: Rodger Saffold
    LDE: Jake Bequette
    NT: Aubrayo Franklin
    RDE: Chris Long
    LOLB: Anthony Spencer
    ILB: D'Qwell Jackson
    ILB: James Laurinitis
    ROLB: Robert Quinn
    CB: Tracy Porter/Bradley Fletcher/Ron Bartell/Jerome Murphy
    FS: Quinten Mikell
    SS: Darian Stewart
    K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones

I love what I have done with this mock off-season, and I hope you do too. The Rams offense improved, and our defense improved, and looks well suited to make a quick conversion to the 3-4. Worked on this for two hours and would love any comments given as well as changes you would make.

Thanks for reading, Go Rams.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -12-10-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Forgot about Harvey

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: THolt Mock Off-Season 1.0

Where did Harvey go

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Where did Harvey go
    Ahh...knew I was missing someone. Thanks for the save. It must of been a typo as I have the Rams letting go of Jason Smith and his bloated contract in the off-season. Much appreciated. Thoughts on it?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

This would be an awesome offseason. Only thing id like added is a TE somewhere. If all that happened id be amazed and grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    This would be an awesome offseason. Only thing id like added is a TE somewhere. If all that happened id be amazed and grateful.
    Best part about this is its not unrealistic at all.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Great job, THOLTFAN, just not sure we are going to have the dough and/or cap space to pay for all the FAs. Bell and Spencer might even be franchised and I gotta believe Cleveland will make a major effort to re sign Jackson.

At any rate if we can score most or even some of these players I like our chances going forward.

BTW very nice draft also. Looks like you filled needs and got some people we can build with...

WHAT SAY YE?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I think this is extremely unrealistic. Tracy Porter? Hes going to get a 5 year $45 million dollar deal. He's awaiting a huge contract. D'Qwell Jackson? Fans may not know about this guy, but NFL personnel do. Hes an unreal ILB when healthy. the last two years hes been out for the year with a pectoral injury. Now hes nice and back and I dont see why the Browns would let him go either. Hes the key piece to the defense, and will be expensive too.

And if we played a 3-4, I wouldn't want Chris Long playing DE. Hes 276 lbs, not 300. He needs to be rushing the passer in space, or leave the 4-3.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Nicely made TH1. The mocks at this time of the year, are always unrealistic.?
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Like I said in my mock draft, Carl Nicks has a higher chance of being in the market than Demetrius Bell. In the end, Bell will most likely be brought back.

Franklin would be a good FA signing.

Don't see Jackson or Tracy Porter coming here, but that would be great if they did.

Kelechi Osemele is a great guard, but I can't warrant getting three offensive linemen in the off-season. Before upgrading the guard position, Jason Smith should be tried out there, or Saffold.

Not a big fan of Chris Polk. He's like a suckier version of Mark Ingram. No breakaway speed, limited elusive moves, and only does most of his work between the tackles. We don't really need another between the tackles runner right now. We need a fast, elusive, electric runner who can cut outside and make plays in the open field.

William Vlachos is a solid college football center, but I can't see a center who is barely 6'1 being a solid addition to an NFL line. There are linebackers bigger than him. He is a very quick lineman off the snap, but I doubt he can hold his own in the NFL with subpar height and weight (below 300lbs.) Imagine him going against Haynesworth. If Jason Brown (6'3, 320lbs) could barely do it...

I like the coaching addition, it is solid.

I would add a QB coach for Bradford, that has been missed this year and it shows

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I love the idea of getting Tom Clements as the OC. The draft looks pretty good (Blackmon is a must in the draft) although I think the number of big name FAs is a bit ambitious. I think LB, DT and a lineman are the only positions we really need to get a good starting caliber players, the rest can come through a good draft.