Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Thomas on 1380: It's down to the two Longs

Jim Thomas was just on Team 1380 with Bernie and Randy....

On the draft.....

The Rams won't say it, but it is down to the two Longs, Chris and Jake, for the #2 pick.

Haslett wants Dorsey.

Linehan and Haslett want Chris Long.

Devaney and Linehan want Jake Long.

Rams are allowed 30 draft prospects to visit Rams Park along with 5 "locals".

April 13 is the day both Long's, Dorsey, and Gholston are coming in to Rams Park.

Gholston is the "trade down plan."
    And while we're at it, here's the Social Security Number of every member of the Front Office, the Bank PIN number for Georgia's Estate Account, and a map to D.B. Cooper's money.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy anything coming out of any NFL warroom this time of year. Maybe Jim Thomas is a journalistic Svengali and has persuaded the draft strategy out of all the personnel decision makers, but I doubt it.

What have they done with these statements? Shown that they have at least one decision maker has a strong interest in each of the players that are both (A) draftable by the Rams, and (B) have "trade up" value for some team. The only part of that statement I have some belief in, is that Gholston is the trade down option. No harm in expressing that, as he doesn't have the trade up value of either of the two Longs or Dorsey.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    Why is BARRONS value so low ? i thought he was a mid- 1st round pick . He can't be thought of as a bust since he has been with us , but at least he has been uninjured and pretty dependable besides the false starts . why wouldn't a team with big tackle problems fire us off a mid to late 2nd rounder , he would have to be right there talent wise with the second round picks and has experiance .

i think we should just trade him now for picks to someone and just replace him in the draft if the RAMS want to settle on JAKE LONG .
    Because he has only played like a mid-rounder. Once he signs his rookie contract, his draft position became completely irrelvant. Some team that's hurting for an OT may offer a low 3rd, but even that sounds like a dream as I type it. Fourth or fifth is probably closer to reality.

If this joker is already ticking off his position coach, he is not long for this roster. And that would necessitate the need for both Jake Long in the first and a viable back up on day 2.

Unfortunate, really.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The question is, when do you trade Barron?

Certainly, you can't trade him now, as there's a strong chance that Jake Long will go to Miami.

You could trade him on the first day of the draft if Jake falls to the Rams, but you'd probably need to have a contingent deal in place in advance.

After the draft, it makes little sense to trade him for future picks, so the only option would be to trade player for player, which is difficult.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Hour Long Jim Thomas Conversation
    Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined Bernie Miklasz and Randy Karraker for an hour on the Roll Home on Team 1380 Monday.

Part 1---Draft Talk
    It's basically down to 3 guys---Chris Long, Jake Long, or Glenn Dorsey. The Rams are allowed to bring in 30 prospects to Rams park along with any "locals" they want, and Jim thinks they will have 35 total including Mizzou's Will Franklin. Both Longs, Dorsey, and Vernon Gholston (trade down plan) will fly in Sunday and the other prospective picks will be at Rams Park April 15-16.

Thomas said he wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins take Chris Long; the Rams take Jake Long and move Alex Barron by the start of the season.

Bernie asked who is the biggest advocate for each of the Big 3:

Jim Haslett strongly wants Dorsey.
    Scott Linehan and Haslett want Chris Long.
    Billy Devaney and Linehan want Jake Long.
    Thomas said that the information is in, and now the arguing begins. He said the board will be stacked by Wednesday before the draft. Jim said that Jay Zygmunt typically defers on draft day and that he deals more with the free agents.

Jim also said that contrary to popular belief, if the Rams take Dorsey, Carriker will not be moved to DE, but that they will start both as DTs.

More on that show, the Rams take Dorsey, Carriker will not be moved to DE, but that they will start both as DTs

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And while we're at it, here's the Social Security Number of every member of the Front Office, the Bank PIN number for Georgia's Estate Account, and a map to D.B. Cooper's money.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy anything coming out of any NFL warroom this time of year. Maybe Jim Thomas is a journalistic Svengali and has persuaded the draft strategy out of all the personnel decision makers, but I doubt it.

What have they done with these statements? Shown that they have at least one decision maker has a strong interest in each of the players that are both (A) draftable by the Rams, and (B) have "trade up" value for some team. The only part of that statement I have some belief in, is that Gholston is the trade down option. No harm in expressing that, as he doesn't have the trade up value of either of the two Longs or Dorsey.
    I agree. He couldn't possibly have that information unless it was fed to him purposely to mislead.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Because he has only played like a mid-rounder. Once he signs his rookie contract, his draft position became completely irrelvant. Some team that's hurting for an OT may offer a low 3rd, but even that sounds like a dream as I type it. Fourth or fifth is probably closer to reality.

If this joker is already ticking off his position coach, he is not long for this roster. And that would necessitate the need for both Jake Long in the first and a viable back up on day 2.

Unfortunate, really.
    C'mon theres gotta be someone out there that would atleast give us a 3rd. We got a 4th for friggin Brandon Malamu..... Don't need to be able to spell nor say his name anymore, whew.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    C'mon theres gotta be someone out there that would atleast give us a 3rd. We got a 4th for friggin Brandon Malamu..... Don't need to be able to spell nor say his name anymore, whew.
    Exactly right! And does Barron rate any higher than Manu?

harrydog is offline Registered User

If we take J. Long and trade Barron, we're still pretty thin at OT considering Pace's durability lately. I assume we'd still need to draft another OT? I don't think trading Barron is a great idea at this point.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Exactly right! And does Barron rate any higher than Manu?
    I would think so.. Manu is a blocking TE who could make the occasional catch. That being said how do you draw a comparison to an OT? Maybe if Barron could provide decent pass protection and mediocre run blocking then maybe you could draw the conclusion that they are equal in value? Barron can do both, he just wants to get a head start a little too often. IMO I think the Rams could get a 3rd for him. Shoot, Miami could definately use some OL help. Too bad it would not equate to give Barron and nexts years 3rd to get C. Long at the top of the draft. Could always draft J. Long then hold on to Barron and should some other team run into the injury wall like the Rams did last year then I'm sure we could get 3rd. Just a bunch of jumbled thoughts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    Why is BARRONS value so low ? i thought he was a mid- 1st round pick . He can't be thought of as a bust since he has been with us , but at least he has been uninjured and pretty dependable besides the false starts . why wouldn't a team with big tackle problems fire us off a mid to late 2nd rounder , he would have to be right there talent wise with the second round picks and has experiance .
    Barron has been solid but unspectacular as a blocker. He has the potential but will not put in the work to take it to the next level. His propensity for penalties is concerning as well. Also consider this is a deep class at the offensive tackle position; thus, the trade value of veteran tackles will be lower since a team could simply turn and take a quality one in the mid rounds.

The description of Thomas' report opens with, "The Rams won't say it, but it is down to the two Longs, Chris and Jake, for the #2 pick." So it doesn't sound as if the Rams are saying it and he's reporting it. Rather, he's picking up on it based upon what he does see and hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The description of Thomas' report opens with, "The Rams won't say it, but it is down to the two Longs, Chris and Jake, for the #2 pick." So it doesn't sound as if the Rams are saying it and he's reporting it. Rather, he's picking up on it based upon what he does see and hear.
    So he's not reporting at all, but guessing then. Got it.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So he's not reporting at all, but guessing then. Got it.
    Can a reporter not pick up on something without being explicitly told? Could Thomas be around the organization, talking to others who are around these guys, getting bits and pieces that he eventually uses to draw an informed conclusion? There's a lot of gray area between reporting what has been explicitly told and pure guesswork.

Rambos is offline Registered User

http://www.stlsportsinsider.com/rams...0JT%204708.mp3

Here is how the show went down, might help, Nick,Hub on the reporting...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can a reporter not pick up on something without being explicitly told? Could Thomas be around the organization, talking to others who are around these guys, getting bits and pieces that he eventually uses to draw an informed conclusion? There's a lot of gray area between reporting what has been explicitly told and pure guesswork.
    Its not difficult at all:

THE HONEST APPROACH
    "From what I've heard at Rams Park, I think the Rams will take..."

THE ARROGANT APPROACH
    "The Rams won't say it, but I can tell you that they will take..."

THE BS, AND HOPE YOU GUESSED RIGHT, APPROACH
    "The Rams will take..."

general counsel is offline Registered User

trading barron for sheppard doesnt solve the question of where are we getting the 20 million guaranteed dollars to sign sheppard. Say what you want about barron, but i think its an absolute joke to believe that his value is that of a 4th or 5th round pick. He is a functional starting tackle that still has upside. How many 4th or 5th round picks have a chance to be starters?

I continue to contend that mid round picks are dramatically overvalued.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast