throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Dorsey is the favorite, but Rams' choice isn't definite

Dorsey is the favorite, but Rams' choice isn't definite
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/24/2008

With team president John Shaw scheduled to arrive in St. Louis in the wee hours Wednesday evening, the Rams' draft preparations are entering the final phase. Rams coaches, scouts and personnel officials have finished stacking the team's draft board, round by round.

Shaw will be immersed in draft meetings today, discussing possible scenarios with coach Scott Linehan, president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt, and executive vice president of player personnel Billy Devaney. Finally, the team is expected to zero in on its pick at No. 2 overall by Friday.

At this point, all signs seem to be pointing to Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey as the Rams' choice. But there is also sentiment for defensive end Chris Long of Virginia, and to a lesser degree Ohio State's Vernon Gholston.

And as of Wednesday evening, one team official said, "It's not a clear-cut choice."

Of course, a trade down looms as an additional option. There was speculation that the New York Jets might be interested in trading up to the Rams' spot in order to select Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. But Wednesday was another quiet day at Rams Park, with team sources saying no phone calls came from other clubs regarding a potential deal.

The Rams did receive word from the NFL that they would not be able to negotiate with the No. 2 overall pick prior to drafting him.

"They cannot (negotiate)," a league official told the Post-Dispatch via e-mail Wednesday afternoon. "That has been our policy. Only the team with the first pick can negotiate and sign a player. We will re-evaluate that policy (in the future) to determine if any changes are warranted."

Technically, the Rams went on the clock Tuesday afternoon, when the Miami Dolphins turned in the paperwork to the NFL on the signing of University of Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long. The Dolphins, with the No. 1 overall pick, signed Long to a five-year contract worth a reported $57.5 million.

But even before the league's "no-negotiation" ruling, the Rams made it known that it was highly unlikely they would negotiate with their targeted player at No. 2 much less have him signed to a contract before the draft.

Linehan and Devaney will answer draft questions late this morning at the team's pre-draft media luncheon, and then head back into the draft bunker on the second floor of Rams Park.

This will be the Rams' first draft under the supervision of Devaney. Although the decision-making will be done by consensus, Devaney will have a lot of input on draft day.

Prior to joining the Rams in February, Devaney had spent his past two seasons in Atlanta's front office. Although he didn't have final say on the Falcons' draft, his opinion was highly respected there.

Devaney was known as a "beast" on the phones, especially when it came to engineering trades. He was regarded as a driving force in the three-way trade with Denver and the New York Jets that brought John Abraham to Atlanta in March 2006. He also orchestrated a move-up in the second round of the 2006 draft for defensive back Jimmy Williams of Virginia Tech.

Devaney also is said to have a knack for finding late-round gems. Defensive tackle Trey Lewis of Washburn was drafted in the sixth round last season, and was starting until a season-ending knee injury.

Of course, if you're in personnel long enough, you're going to have some busts. And Devaney's biggest black eye was with San Diego when the Chargers selected Washington State quarterback Ryan Leaf with the second overall pick of the 1998 draft.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini Guest

Re: Thomas: Dorsey is the favorite, but Rams' choice isn't definite

hahahhaa. What if Devaney lands like some crazy trade. New York gives us there 1st, 2nd and 3rd for our #2.

But with the little talk of Chris Long, I think he is the pick. Devaney knows what he's doing. Especially being a part of the Falcons' organization, he has some knowledge of what they need and how bad they need it.

These reporters are (hopefully) in on the smokescreen to get the Falcons to move up one spot to secure their man Dorsey.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

St. Louis is either going to take the Detroit route of a year ago and take the BPA with lesser but equal need in Dorsey and then address DE in round two or take Chris Long and hit the nail on the head right away and then begin to address WR/OT in the next round.

I'll admit that all this Dorsey pub screams out smokescreen to me but that is what people thought when Miami started negotiating with Jake Long. Saturday couldn't come soon enough!

And by the way, with a decision on the pick being made on Friday, I can GUARENTEE the likes of Thomas/Bernie will come out and say who the Rams have settled on, only for them to probably be wrong.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    take the BPA with lesser but equal need
    How does something have lesser but equal need? :x
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How does something have lesser but equal need? :x
    You don't need it this year, but you need it the year after that.

In other words, Dorsey is more of a "multi-year rebuild" pick. Which, if done properly, isn't a bad thing mind you. I'd rather the team be bad this year and be really good for 3 or 4 years after that, as opposed to being sort of good this year, and being bad the year after that.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    You don't need it this year, but you need it the year after that.

In other words, Dorsey is more of a "multi-year rebuild" pick. Which, if done properly, isn't a bad thing mind you. I'd rather the team be bad this year and be really good for 3 or 4 years after that, as opposed to being sort of good this year, and being bad the year after that.

What are you talking about?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

So drafting Chris Long will only affect this year?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post

In other words, Dorsey is more of a "multi-year rebuild" pick.
    Wasn't that the purpose of drafting Carriker? A player who can be a stalwart at UT for the next decade? And Ryan? Or any pick?

Quote Originally Posted by peoria
    I'd rather the team be bad this year and be really good for 3 or 4 years after that, as opposed to being sort of good this year, and being bad the year after that.
    What? So you acknowledge that the potential Dorsey does not help as much as selecting a player of equal value in Chris Long, to the point where we would not have success this year? And I'd assume we'd have success in the ensuing years by actually adressing the position wherein we have a significant need?

Or are you suggesting that a player like Long would "make us good" for a year, then fall flat on his face thereafter?

harrydog is offline Registered User

I think what he was trying to say is that Dorsey would become the anchor of a great defensive line that would pay dividends for many years to come, where as Long would definitely fill an area of need (and probably do it very well) but might not improve our overall defense as much as Dorsey would. With Dorsey, we would have to address DE either in the 2nd round or more likely next year, but in the long run our defense would be much better for it.
    At least that's what I think he meant, and I tend to agree with it.

Rambos is offline Registered User

take the BPA with lesser but equal need in Dorsey
    Take the BPA with less need in Dorsey.

Mooselini Guest

Well some of the guys have posted, that Chris Long will fill the need quite well. Which is what we need to focus on. Linehan is doing the best to keep his job, and he'll do it however it takes. He falls below .500 and he's out. I think he's going to do his best to improve us for next season, while helping us down the road. We need a DE this year, or we need it next year. Either way, we need it guys. Chris Long fills that need immediately.

We have good DT's in my honest opinion. If you guys don't agree, so be it. But I think Ryan and Carriker will only improve over the years.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And Devaney's biggest black eye was with San Diego when the Chargers selected Washington State quarterback Ryan Leaf with the second overall pick of the 1998 draft.
    Holy ****! I did not know that. Makes me a little queasy I must admit...

Chris Long is my #1 pick, Gholston #2 and Dorsey #3 - I really would prefer not to take Dorsey. We desperately need a DE and I see two top ones on the board for us to take, we have to get one of them. A trade down could be a very good idea - I believe if we trade down at the most 2 places one of those teams will take Dorsey (probably Atlanta) and we will still be able to take one of the two top DE's and get an extra pick along the way.

I cannot believe anyone could say DT is as big a need or bigger than DE - frankly anyone claiming that I wouldn't hesitate to call bat**** crazy. We have absolutely nothing except Leonard Little at DE. Nothing. And the man is what 34 years old by now? We need a blue-chip DE, we need it desperately.

At DT we have Carriker and Ryan both young prospects that have looked very promising so far, one of them a number one pick from only a year ago. We look pretty good at DT, and we are nothing short of abysmal at DE.

I really do not like the idea of Carriker at DE either - a 310 pound guy that played DT last year isn't going to be rushing the passer with speed which is what we need most of all. Moving Carriker to DE would only make sense if we told him to lose around 30 pounds or so and tried to turn him into a faster player. Losing that weight and trying to train him to rush the passer better is going to wipe out his development from last year as a DT and probably also seriously limit the impact he can have this year and maybe even the year after that too. I agree that Carriker at DE works fine for some downs, likely running downs and goalline stands and so on - we did that some last year and it was fine. But there is a big difference from having that kind of defensive end to having someone who's an every down player and can play any situation well which is something we could get in this draft.

Dorsey may be a fine player, he does look like a very good prospect. But ultimately value has to meet need somewhere and the need at DT is just not big enough to warrant a #2 overall pick. I'm happy with Carriker and Ryan in the middle, let's not mess with that combination, let them develop together and find a DE instead! I can live with either Long or Gholston, but if we take Dorsey I'm not going to be a very happy man on draft day. Where are we going to find a DE then? Leonard Little is on his last legs and we have nothing on the other side whatsoever. In reality we don't need just one DE we need TWO DE's very soon. I do NOT want to go into the draft after Leonard Little announced his retirement looking for two starting DE's at the same time. If we don't address it now - it will bite us.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I think what he was trying to say is that Dorsey would become the anchor of a great defensive line that would pay dividends for many years to come, where as Long would definitely fill an area of need (and probably do it very well) but might not improve our overall defense as much as Dorsey would. With Dorsey, we would have to address DE either in the 2nd round or more likely next year, but in the long run our defense would be much better for it.
    At least that's what I think he meant, and I tend to agree with it.
    Bingo. I'm far more confident that a Dorsey-anchored line would be a force in the league for the long term than a line with Chris Long on it.

Look at LSU's defensive play this past season. You could tell whether or not Dorsey was in the game based on the sizable difference in their on-field performance.