Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Rams hesitant about drafting "three technique" Okoye?

DRAFT BUZZ: With free-agent RBs Sammy Morris and Marcel Shipp off the board, the Rams' options for a No. 2 running back may have to be filled via the draft. Lorenzo Booker is one possibility, but the Rams might have to use a second-round pick to get him. Signing Hall as a free agent doesn't preclude the team from taking an edge rusher such as Purdue's Anthony Spencer. Louisville DT Amobi Okoye would be a logical choice for the Rams at No. 13 overall if he's still available. But some in the Rams' organization wonder if Okoye is more "three-technique" tackle than nose, which is the team's greatest need. Tank Tyler of North Carolina State is more of a "classic" nose tackle, although he doesn't have the upside of the 19-year-old Okoye. But 13 is too high for Tyler, so the team probably would want to trade down if he's their targeted player.
    This is from The Sporting News' latest Rams Report, which can be read in full here.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thomas: Rams hesitant about drafting "three technique" Okoye?

I think if you draft a guy like Okoye, it has to be because you believe he is going to be a great player, period. If he's a "three technique" guy, but a future Pro Bowl player at that spot, he's worth the #13 pick.

Let's not forget that, although the greater immediate need is at NT, L'Roi Glover is on the downside of his career and Claude Wroten is unproven.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Thats my concern about him. Can Okoye play Nose Tackle? Or is he another UT that we already have (Wroten,Glover).

If he can play Nose Tackle then draft him, if not, than don't.
    RamsFan16

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I was listening to an interview of Okoye with Jim Rome and I gotta say I was more impressed than ever with this kid.

He moved to the US from Nigeria at age 12. His siblings were going to start high school and he didn't want to go to a new school alone. The school let him in on the condition he could keep up with course work.

His sophomore year his parents talked him into trying out sports because he was getting fat. He decided on football and at age 13 he was playing varsity both ways on the offensive and defensive lines.

He graduated with honors 3 years later and was being recruited to go to Harvard on full academic scholarship. He turned it down to play football at Louisville. After 3 1/2 years he graduated college with a degree in psychology.

He's a wholesome, smart kid who has so much untapped potential and an amazing work ethic. He was the most mature sounding 19 year old I've ever heard. I can only imagine the positive impact he'd have in the locker room and on the field.

The only person that I'd want the Rams to get instead in the 1st round is Alan Branch, but since I doubt he'll still be around Okoye is the one I really want.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

But some in the Rams' organization wonder if Okoye is more "three-technique" tackle than nose, which is the team's greatest need.
    A bit of pre-draft disinformation??

viper is online now Registered User

I'd take Okoye as a UT in the 1st and a DT and SLB in the 2nd and 3rd, if we haven't filled those positions in F/A.
    Last edited by viper; -03-05-2007 at 03:24 PM.

sparker is offline Registered User

I keep reading on various threads that Okoye can't be our pick because he is more of a 3-technique player than a true Nose Tackle. I may catch alot of flak over this but I just think people aren't viewing the whole picture, instead being very Tunnel Visioned.

Teams that draft for need in the early rounds tend to have less successful drafts than teams that draft value/quality. I TOTALLY AGREE THAT A NOSE TACKLE IS OUR MOST OBVIOUS NEED, but you just can't force a pick to get that. If the Rams staff feel that at the time they pick Okoye is the best player on the board......then by all means they should select him.

Second day picks are to fill needs, first day picks are to improve your squad. If OT Joe Thomas would somehow slip to the 13th pick (sure it won't happen), and the Rams have him as the #3 player on there draft board and clearly higher rated than ANY defensive Lineman or Linebacker available then HE should be there pick.

Ok....I expect heat over this, but this is how great teams are built......not drafting players based on greatest need first.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

What all you need to understand is, 1 no team is going to give a real idea of what they are looking for. 2 I heard Linehan say that he likes to draft the best available player. If he can fill a need great, but you always get the best player available, and work the rest out later such as trades and what not. What I see is the Rams really want Okoye, and are trying to throw off the sent, because at 13 there are a lot of quality players available, and you don't want a team like Arizon or San Fran, who draft ahead of you taking a player for competitive reasons.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Our friend Mike from long beach is right on target as usual. NEVER believe any of the crap that you read about what the organization "thinks" between now and the draft. Why should anyone give out an legitimate information? These guys are professionals, they dont have big mouths. They are masters of disinformation however. Remember coach linehan talking about drafting cutler last year. It was never going to happen, but it may have facilitated trading down, getting the guy we wanted anyway, and getting wroten for free.

The argument stating that wroten is unproven and glover is old, thus, lets draft okoye to solve our problems makes no sense to me. I will be just find with picking him, but in reality, he is no more "proven" than wroten, regardless of his classroom performance, age, upside or anything else.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I honestly think that at the Rams slot, the should draft the best player available....no matter what position.

If Adrian Peterson was available (which he won't), I'd draft him at that slot.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But some in the Rams' organization wonder if Okoye is more "three-technique" tackle than nose, which is the team's greatest need.
    As Mike and GC have both mentioned, this is code for......WE ARE GOING TO DRAFT AMOBI OKOYE !!!!

I know we say it every Spring, but never, under any circumstances, believe what "some in the organization" say about the draft in the days leading up to the draft. It makes absolutely ZERO logic for them to be truthful about anything regarding the draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Kind of like when a woman says "Honey, do you think I'm fat?" The standard answer is always "NO, but that dress sure does." lol

If a team says they aren't interested, they are interested. If a team says that "not sure about his technique", they could care less about his technique.

Country is offline Registered User

I could see the Rams trading down and drafting NT Tank Tyler because the need is so great.

Tank Tyler in the twenties would allow the Rams to get another 2nd round pick and a run stuffer.

general counsel is offline Registered User

THe only problem with trading from 13 to the 20's to pick the tank is that there are many many teams that can take him out from under you. You can only make a deal like that to drop that many spots if you arent targeting a specific guy in my view. Dropping a couple of spots is a calculated risk (ie last year we really wanted hill anyway, not bunkley), but dropping over 10 spots is a BIG risk. Of course, as you said, it really all depends on how much you are getting paid to take that risk.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think if you draft a guy like Okoye, it has to be because you believe he is going to be a great player, period. If he's a "three technique" guy, but a future Pro Bowl player at that spot, he's worth the #13 pick.

Let's not forget that, although the greater immediate need is at NT, L'Roi Glover is on the downside of his career and Claude Wroten is unproven.

I agree, with AV, this guy can be great. I hate to say this, but I just don't think we will get the NT this year. The player is not to be had. Maybe we can find a NT in the later rounds.