• 3 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 5 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 4 Post By Nick

Thread: For those that say rams have no cap room

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

For those that say rams have no cap room

Once you understand the rules, you can see how easy it is to create a large amount of cap room, as long as you factorin future effects of course.

The next two years, the cap will go up $17 million, which kind of takes care of a big future issue.

Lots of confusion about what the Rams have now available, with dead money and other stuff tweaking the actual amount.

I'll go by what Jim Thomas has said, as he has inside info from Demoff himself.

He said they have $9.5 million available, with another $9 milion added by cutting Finnegan and Dahl.

If they can get Wells to do something about his cap, it will be added.

BUT

Are you aware that by just guaranteeing Wells $5.5 million SALARY for 2014, it adds &2.75 of room this year? It is added to 205, but then you have that relief from Long and Laurinaitis deals going DOWN, NINE million dollars.

NOW, are you also aware that by guaranteeing Laurinairis $10 million salary, of which only $1 million is still guaranteed, you can lower HIS 2014 cap number by $6.75 million, which is then spred out for thr ee years at $2.25 per year. His 2015 cap would still only be $6.25 million.

So with just two moves the player doesn't even have to approve, the Rams can add ANOTHER $9 million of cap room, without cutting Wells.

Here are some other players, and the amount saved this year by guaranteeing their salary and turning it into pro rated bonus:

Langford $2.5 million (added to 2015)
    Bradford $4 million (added to 2015)

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: For those that say rams have no cap room

Wait...

Who said that the Rams have no cap room?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller 12/8/13
    The money for a big splash FA isn't there, that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller 12/26/13
    But this whole idea that this year is like 2012 or 2013, as far as adding big time free agents, is just not recognizant of the plan the Rams have, and the cap situation they are in now, and the next few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller 1/1/14
    So they only look to have $5.5 million to "play with" as far as signing Saffold or any other free agent veteran player.
    I guess what you're saying was that it was kind of pointless to speculate about the Rams' cap room before we knew what the cap would be. I agree with that, which is why I avoided making any $ projections.

Is there someone who is still unaware that the Rams, in fact, have some cap room to work with?
    HUbison, Nick, r8rh8rmike and 2 others like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wait...

Who said that the Rams have no cap room?

I guess what you're saying was that it was kind of pointless to speculate about the Rams' cap room before we knew what the cap would be. I agree with that, which is why I avoided making any $ projections.

Is there someone who is still unaware that the Rams, in fact, have some cap room to work with?
    I do recall Barry making these intense comments and suddenly changing ship. Either way, I think we try to retain our own FA's (Saffold, Dunbar) and then make 1 splash in FA (Verner, Byrd, T.J Ward).
    AvengerRam, r8rh8rmike and laram0 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Not if they read the Thomas article posted earlier today, which was very informative.
    AvengerRam and laram0 like this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

It's been a constantly changing thing, with the cap increase a HUGE deal in this.

But all those *****ing about Byrd "costing too much of our cap, at $9 million even, see how wrong you are?

The price of top players had gone up, and at least safties are the cheapest.

That's why the Rams can afford to sign a big free agent, and maybe still get Saffold back, though I see him getting an overpay deal the Rams won't match.

That's what i have been saying since that $133 this year and up to $150 million in 2016 was announced.

So lay off Avenger, save your personal vendetta, cause I am not joining.

I've got it right here, as this shows, and you scared Nellies about even a Pro Bowl guy at a HUGE need position are wrong. And it wasn't about you saying Byrd wasn't a star that would fit perfectly. You said it was all about "Using all our cap room"

I told you THEN that you were wrong, and that hasn't changed.

You can cut and paste stuff I said in Dcember all you want counselor, but it is inadmissable here as outdated, and based on previous information change without prior knowledge of it being imminent.

You can keep picking at everything I post, but I not only have more experience at this, and better insight from inside a NFL facility for 17 years, I also spend 5 hours a day doing research, since New Years.

Yes, that is crazy, but in retirement, snowed in, you find plenty of time to kill.

I post stuff here to try to educate fans who may not have time to do this often boring work so on draft day, you have it down.

Those fans can take it or leave it. But guys who feel some need to put down others in some kind of testosterone deal, can do what Bobby Knight once said his detractors could do.

I don't know what Jeff Fisher and Les Snead will do, but I know how they think, what their philosophy is, because I actually talked to them at the draft the last two years, not just the official press conferences, but after, when you get the off the record stuff .

Not bragging, and others may get some insight I don't now that I have retired, and I welcome that here.

Just explaining where I am coming from when some P.A. has the red ass about me.
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    It's been a constantly changing thing, with the cap increase a HUGE deal in this.

But all those *****ing about Byrd "costing too much of our cap, at $9 million even, see how wrong you are?
    Again... who said that?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller 12/26/13
    No way on Gods green Earth they could get Byrd, who wants to be THE highest paid safety in the NFL. Just look at Goldson got $8 million a year for 5 years last year.
    So, once again... looks like you jumped the gun on that one.

Then you go on to say:
    You said it was all about "Using all our cap room"
    When did I say that?

Let me give you a hint: (a) never, (b) never, or (c) never.

Here's what I did post, just 2 days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam 3/3/14
    I think you need to be really careful with situations like this.

Byrd will be 28 in October. So, while he'd likely be a very good addition for 2014 and 2015, players tend to start declining after 30. Given this, you have to ask... will he provide value throughout a FA contract, or will he ultimately be one of those guys we'll be talking about as a "cap casualty"?

This question is particularly difficult in light of the fact that the Rams will likely be in a position to draft a FS at No. 13 (Clinton-Dix, Pryor) who would be much cheaper, and would potentially provide four or more productive years.
    Where in that post do you see me stating that Byrd should be rejected because he'd "use up all the Rams' cap space"?

Maybe you should just provide your analysis and stop tilting at windmills.
    HUbison, r8rh8rmike and laram0 like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I think it goes down to spending your money wisely: would you rather have Verner at7-8 million a year, or a player like Byrd who wants 9-10 million a year. IMO I'd go with Byrd, mainly because his presence would improve the games of our CB's on the team. I think Verner is a good player, but even if we had him our CB's would still be susceptible to getting beat over the top, and I doubt having a rookie like Ha-Ha or Pryor would change that.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

......crickets......

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    So lay off Avenger, save your personal vendetta, cause I am not joining.
    A little melodramatic, don't you think? If Avenger has a personal vendetta against you, he has one against virtually every member here, because he uses the same style of discussion with anyone he disagrees with. Just ask sosa, who despite some intense back and forths with Av, seems to be able to keep things in the perspective of a message board debate.

And as far as the Rams cap space, until recently, you or anyone else didn't really have a clear picture of how it was going to shape up, so calling people out on it and labeling them "scared Nellies, is a bit disingenuous IMO.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I don't recall saying they didn't have cap room or wouldn't make cap room to do stuff. The only thing I said was not to get too excited about the cap increase because it benefits all teams so isn't as huge of a deal as some were making it out to be. Yes we have more money but so do the other 31 teams. I hope the Rams use theirs wisely. I'm tired of seeing millions of dollars in dead money every year on our budget.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't hold it against anyone for changing their opinion when new information becomes available. That's fine. But acknowledge that, and come from a place that's honest about it. I'd respect that, listen to that, and probably learn a lot from that person.

Alternatively, it comes across very poorly when you've made a complete 180-degree switch of opinion, and then lecture others about how wrong they are for thinking something you yourself not only previous thought but in fact argued very definitively about ("No way on Gods green Earth"). That's something I can't respect and have no interest in listening to.

I'm an educator, so I understand the value of the insight of professionals or those with experience. But I can't help but question that insight and those years of experience if they don't prevent you from making very definitive statements that shoot down possible scenarios that only two months later are actually quite possible. Furthermore, as an educator, I also know that no one is going to take that insight or experience seriously when it's presented in belittling ways or accompanied with unnecessary name-calling ("scared Nellies").

Constantly telling other people how right you are and how wrong they are isn't educating them; it's talking down to them. And it just seems pretty unnecessary and borderline inflammatory when it's about telling them how wrong they are about an opinion you previously held.

Now, to get back on the Byrd discussion, it'll be interesting to see what the Rams decide to do. The good thing for St. Louis is that, besides Saffold, they don't appear to have any real high priority, expensive free agents to resign. And Saffold might price himself out of what the Rams are willing to pay, sort of like what Danny Amendola did. Who else do they need to bring back? Chris Williams simply was not very good and could probably be upgraded without having to break the bank; I wouldn't be upset if the Rams moved on from Dunbar and Witherspoon. Darian Stewart isn't setting the world on fire. Kellen Clemens seems like the only in-house free agent that I think they should really bring back, given how he played in 2013. He won't be particularly expensive.

So I do agree that the Rams should have some money to work with, $4 million more now that Finnegan is gone and potentially another $4 million if they move on from Dahl. When you think about where they could focus that money in free agency, there are some options but not many as good as safety.

They're not going after a QB or RB. I don't think the talent at WR is particularly appealing in terms of shelling out big money, especially when you compare it to the depth of this draft class. There are some appealing interior offensive linemen that the Rams could go after if they miss out on bringing Saffold back. I'm thinking that they'll probably keep Wells just to keep some stability on the inside of their line, especially if they part ways with Dahl.

They really don't need to spend money on the DL, and they only need a situational guy at OLB with Laurinaitis and Ogletree staying on the field on passing downs. That leaves DB - either corner or safety - as another area besides interior OL where they could make a move.

Verner is intriguing, but I'd be wary about overpaying him based mostly on 2013. Williams' insight will be important here. Speaking of Williams, I wonder what he'd think about bringing in Malcolm Jenkins, who played under Williams in New Orleans and was solid though unspectacular in that scheme. Jenkins declined a bit recently and likely wouldn't command big money, he's certainly not as talented as the top safeties in this free agent market, but I don't think he's completely awful, certainly an upgrade over the personnel we've seen the Rams use in recent years, and his familiarity with the scheme could give him an advantage.

RealRam is offline Registered User

"Excelente 'post' Nick, muy bien dicho."