Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is online now Registered User

Thought s on our need at safety

If we donít get Huff in round one and Adam has moved on, is there a second round pick the would be an upgrade over both Atogwe and Carter at safety?

I know this is hard we really did not get to see much of them.

I like the Mike Furrey story he can help us on special teams and as a back up, I don't see him as our starter.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thought s on our need at safety

Carter and Atogwe are both guys that I think are worth trying to develop, but I don't expect that either of them will have the impact of a player like Huff.

I think that if the Rams can:

1. Re-sign Pickett;
    2. Get Huff in the first round; and
    3. Find a starting LB in the second round,

they can quickly turn the defense around to a point where it is, at a minimum, no longer a liability.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My concern is that if we don't get a top safety prospect who can make an immediate impact like Huff, Williams, or maybe Simpson, then I'm not convinced that we could draft someone that's a significant upgrade over Atogwe or Carter. Maybe you look at a guy like Darnell Bing or Jason Allen in the second round, but aside from the top 2-3 guys at the position, I'm not sure anyone else offers such a drastic upgrade over what we have to justify taking them.

That's really the reason I'm big on taking Huff. We have potential at safety with Atogwe and Carter, but I believe Huff is a player who can come in and make an immediate impact on this defense. Meanwhile, we don't even know how much of an impact Atogwe and Carter will have in their second year. I'd love to grab Huff to start from day one at one safety spot, and then have Atogwe and Carter battle or split time for the other spot.

So yeah, Bing or Allen or maybe even Whitner might be slight upgrades over second year Atogwe and Carter, but I don't think they're big enough immediate upgrades to warrant a selection. I think we either go S in round one or save it for another developmental guy on the second day or a vet free agent.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Carter and Atogwe are both guys that I think are worth trying to develop, but I don't expect that either of them will have the impact of a player like Huff.

I think that if the Rams can:

1. Re-sign Pickett;
    2. Get Huff in the first round; and
    3. Find a starting LB in the second round,

they can quickly turn the defense around to a point where it is, at a minimum, no longer a liability.
    Totally agree with ya , Carter and Atogwe are going develope into very good players and Huff is a player we need to get our hands on if we can... If we are able to get R. Lewis that would really help in changing our D...
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -02-15-2006 at 12:16 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with nick. If we dont get huff or an impact guy in free agency, i dont want to spend a mid round pick trying to find someone better than the kids we already have plus furrey. I think we need to find a way to upgrade that position with proven or front line talent (ie high draft pick).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ok, if Huff is off the board and I hope he is not and we take him, but if he’s gone. Do we take the best defensive player period? Even if that player might not have an impact in his first year. Do we take a defensive player if the guy is not a clear upgrade over any of the current players on the roster at that position? Do we pass on a Vernon Davis a guy that clearly would have an impact on this team this year, to try and fill a need?

Remember this whom ever we take will cost us first round money. He needs contribute yesterday. I would not be disappointed if we take Davis over a guy that may or may not have an impact in his first year.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

jimmy williams would be my fall back plan if huff was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Ok, if Huff is off the board and I hope he is not and we take him, but if heís gone. Do we take the best defensive player period?
    I think my strategy in that situation would be...

1) Take best defensive player available provided player is not a reach @ 11th overall (possibilities include Tamba Hali, Jimmy Williams, or Chad Greenway depending on their stock)
    2) Take TE Vernon Davis
    3) Trade down

HC Linehan thoughts on the draft process, I like this guy more evey day.

"When you get into the combine, you’re looking for the best players. You’re going to stack the best players, regardless of the need we have on our team. So, you’re not going to go over somebody to pass up a great player. We’ll evaluate the players as if we need those players at every position, and then when we stack the players, the need factors in there, but you never want to pass up a great player to get somebody you think you need more, because you already have a Steven Jackson. If the next best player in the draft happens to be a running back, and that’s how we stack them, then you have to trust in the system and believe in the system. That’s how you have to do it. It factors, but it’s not the only factor.”

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Vernon Davis has become my first option. I have been high on Atogwe since we drafted him and he looked pretty good in the limited playing time that he had. Carter seemed to make an impact on a lot of plays as he split time with Arch. I like to think of him in that mold. A playmaker who can stuff the run.

If we get Davis, there are a few guys who would provide some valuable depth. Guys like Bing and Roman Harper could come in and provide solid depth at the safety spot. I'm a huge Roman Harper fan. He was a ballhawk at Alabama. It would be nice to see him backup Atogwe as we go into the new season.

To be honest. I'm not sure that a rookie Huff is an upgrade over a more experienced Atogwe. You always want the guy who has been there.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    To be honest. I'm not sure that a rookie Huff is an upgrade over a more experienced Atogwe.
    I don't agree with this at all. I'll take a top tier talent coming out of college over a third round pick who played in four games and only had a real impact in one.

I like Atogwe, and I think he can compete for a starting spot this year. But it's not like he played the entire year and gained months of experience on the field. I doubt he made significant strides standing on the sidelines, so the difference in experience probably isn't that big. Certainly not as big as the different in talent, which is a battle Huff wins.

As for Carter, what impact are you talking about? His numbers went up when Archuleta was unable to play in mid November to mid December, but some of the clearest memories I have of Carter are the tackles he missed. No sacks, no interceptions, no passes defensed, no forced fumbles. I'd like to think he can develop into a solid player, but if we went into next season with Carter seeing significant time, I'd be a bit worried.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-15-2006 at 11:33 PM.

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

i have a feeling that arch will be resigned after reading what haslett had to say about him.
    now my favourite pick is huff, because FS is our weakest spot on the D. (at least i think)

D Line-Pickett(hopefully resigned),Kennedy, Hargrove, Little, Jackson - personally, i think this could be good enough for next year, perhaps one more player added for depth
    Linebackers-Clairborne(will be better),tinoisamoa,chillar,green - we need one/two more players, but can be filled through FAs
    Cornerbacks-JB, Bartell, Ivy, Groce - again not bad, could benefit from a #2
    SS-Arch(probably resigned), Carter - i think arch will do fine in hasletts system, excited after hasletts comments
    WHICH LEAVES FS????? (furrey, atowge- not good enough to start) and no good FAs available...

IF Huff's not available, take the next best defensive player or trade down.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Atogwe played in, what, two games? How can you be "high" on him. I have to believe that if he really had that much potential, he would've been on the field more as bad as we were back there.

IF Huff's not available, take the next best defensive player or trade down.
    I agree with you, but not on this, if an impact player were on the board like Davis, I would not pass on him.

I know our defense sticks and it has several holes, but to add more average players on that side of the ball is not the answer. The first pick has to be an impact player. When we pick if the stars line up and our needs are met with the best defensive and best overall player on the board take him. To pass on the best player because he does not fill a certain need is a mistake.

Our O has some needs also, TE, O-line. The last few years we have really struggled in the red zone. If we can do more then just move the ball, like put up some points. We will not be playing from behind, we can run the ball and the defense can go into attack mode. It’s always easier playing with the lead on defensive.

Don’t get me wrong I want Huff on the board when we pick
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-16-2006 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    I know our defense sticks and it has several holes, but to add more average players on that side of the ball is not the answer.
    Why do you think that, if Huff is gone, any defensive player drafted 11th overall at that point would just be average? I could probably name 6-8 who would be potentially available at that spot who are far from average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast