Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Thought s on our need at safety

I think he is referring to the possibility of trading down if the best remaining defensive players weren't worth such a high pick, at which point we would be conceding taking players of lesser talent because the most talented players left on the board were all on offense. I'd really be surprised to see all the top defensive prospects gone that early, though.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That's the thing though. Even if the Rams trade down, there are very good (read: not average) players on the defensive side of the ball through the first and into the second and third rounds. This is one of the deepest drafts of recent memory. I don't think we'd have to worry about selecting average players until a number of rounds have gone by.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Good question Nick, I guess the use of the word “average” is a poor choice on my part.

But, that being said I would not consider a Jeremy Shockley at 14 as an average player he's productive.

How would you classify these guys?

Damione Lewis 12th overall is he average or is he far from average? Has he made an impact?

Jimmy Kennedy Lewis 12th overall is he average or is he far from average? Has he made an impact?

I might be hung up on Davis, knowing that Lewis and Kennedy have not come in and had an impact for us. It might be the fact that we have not got a lot out of the number ones, that has me a little skittish on taking another defensive player.

I can see maybe some of these guys on the board Greenway, Hill, Williams, if Huff is gone, these guys could come in here and have an impact.

I just don’t want to have to make excuses for the pick, while a guy like Davis is finding the end zone. Last year, Benched D lewis, Benched Kennedy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Which brings me back to my point about the talent level in this draft class. Just because you can point to examples in the past where the Rams haven't taken advantage of a higher draft spot as much as we'd like, doesn't mean they won't this year with so many high end defensive players. Also consider this is a new regime in the staff.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Also consider this is a new regime in the staff.
    Yes it is and I hope they get there man, as they say on draft day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12