throwback week

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Thoughts on Malcolm Jenkins?

I ask this because lately I've seen a lot of mock drafts consistently having us take him at #4. What is everyone's opinion on him and the selection? I have watched Ohio State quite a bit this year, and from what I've seen he has been impressive. He could've left early last year and been a top 10 pick (Buffalo took the first CB at #11), and the fact he has not only kept up his level of play but excelled is amazing.

What would it take for everyone on here to be at ease with passing on Oher/Smith (let's say one of them gets taken ahead of us) in the draft? I am all for an OT, but if there was a scenario in the offseason where we landed Jordan Gross, Vernon Carey or Marc Colombo, would it be better if we finally landed a possible shutdown CB in Jenkins? I know that #4 is high for a corner, and seeing as how we may pick even higher, this could make things even more troubling. Just throwing this possibility out there for everybody.

Oh, and if Haslett is kept (shoot me) or we hire another defensive-oriented coach, would it be likely they become infatuated with him? See Tony Sparano (OL) - Jake Long.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -12-03-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Mooselini Guest

Re: Thoughts on Malcolm Jenkins?

If one of the OT's get taken before us, we go with the other.

I know we need the shut down corner, but we have Bartell. I don't know who will snag the starting job opposite of him, probably Manning.

We have the OT as our priority. We would've most likely pounced on Jake Long last year had he fell in our laps.

As much as I like Jenkins, he won't be suiting up in Horns next season...

We have way too many holes to fix, and this is one of them. However, we have bigger priorities.

However, if we can land two starters for the OL in the FA. I would still pass on Jenkins. We need a MLB more than we do a corner...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd love to have him on the Rams, but we can't afford to pass up one of the top OTs.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Great player Lock down corner... IMO best defensive player in the draft if Smith and Oher are he tops my list of guys we should draft

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd love to have him on the Rams, but we can't afford to pass up one of the top OTs.
    I realize that, which is why I brought up the prospect of us signing a big one in FA like Gross, Carey or Colombo.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd still take an OT in the first round. By 2010, we may need two new starting OTs, as Pace may be done and Barron may be gone.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I realize that, which is why I brought up the prospect of us signing a big one in FA like Gross, Carey or Colombo.
    Good point, but i still may take an OT early because all the guys you've named have been predominantly RT's Gross started playing LT just this year. If we are going to spend Big Money and we are most likely going to get a defensive coach so I'd rather go after Asomoguah or Dansby.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Historically, you'll see a CB break into the top five rarely, but it does happen. As Av said, I think if a top OT is available, you still have to lean that route simply because we could need two in the not-so-distant future. That said, I'd feel better about the value of a CB than I would a MLB there, if we're talking defenders.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I like him. I like him a lot. Obviously. But we clearly have more glaring needs and will be picking too high to land Jenkins.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Is he a great corner: Yes, he's simply a dream on paper & to watch in person.

However: we have too many needs at this time to take a corner so high, but I believe the big issue will be that we've drafted CB's almost as often as Detroit drafts WR's and with the same results! I'd still like to see how King performs this year, but nevertheless we need help at this area as I feel Brown is better suited for nickle back at this point in his career.
    *What I'd really love would be for us to sign Lito Sheppard in the off-season, but we'll see & he's demanding top dollar!