• 1 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By vanillasue

Thread: thoughts on mayock's mock?

citr92 is offline Registered User

thoughts on mayock's mock?

#16 vaccaro
    #22 ogletree

i think ogletree is good and all, he just hasn't really shown me anything spectacular, which isn't bad but eh

as for vaccaro....i'd take a few other safeties other than him, i'd feel the rams need a COVERAGE guy rather than a line of scrimmage guy
    ZiaRam and Randart like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: thoughts on mayock's mock?

Mayock described Vaccaro as the best cover safety in the draft. I have no issues with that pick. He passed on Cordarelle Patterson to take Ogletree. Then he has Patterson going off the board at 23.

I'd take Vaccaro and Patterson and be very happy. Not so much with two defensive players going in round one.
    ManofGod likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would be very happy with Vaccaro and the best WR available @ 22.
    Aussie Dave likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

from what i've seen with vaccaro, he's always near the line of scrimmage, haven't seen a whole lot of coverage stuff from him, i've actually seen some write that that's his weakness...

probably seen more than me....i'd take elam before him

if we were to take a defensive player and an offensive player in the first i'd go:
    #16 elam (though phillip thomas is my favorite safety, it'd depend if they'd get a safety in the first or third round)
    #22...best WR available, woods is my favorite, but the rams need a 1 and that could be hopkins or patterson
    Last edited by citr92; -04-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Citr92 View Post
    #16 Vaccaro
    #22 Ogletree

I think Ogletree is good and all, he just hasn't really shown me anything spectacular, which isn't bad but eh

as for Vaccaro....i'd take a few other safeties other than him, i'd feel the rams need a COVERAGE guy rather than a line of scrimmage guy
    Mayock is my favorite NFL "weather man" but in this forecast it seems he wasn't really paying much attention to the city of St. Louis for this weekend's conditions.

It's pretty clear that most of us Clanpeople are looking for the Rams to take a WR as the 1st priority. Personally I just don't like T.A. at 16 or 22 (too little at 5' 2" when standing on his toes... ^_^). I'd really prefer K. Allen or C. Patterson instead at 16 then a non WR at 22, followed by a WR in the 3rd round (e.g., Amendola's cousin -- Ryan Swope).

GO RAMS DRAFT!
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-24-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: T.A. height
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

punahou is online now Registered User

Why is Vaccaro rated so high? In a pass happy NFL with a safety that clocks in at the 4.6xs, Im surprised to see that Vaccaro is so highly thought of. I think Elam looks better on tape and measurables. And as far as still not getting a #1WR when one is available is so vexing and perplexing Im goona be out numerous TVs after tonight.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Why is Vaccaro rated so high? In a pass happy NFL with a safety that clocks in at the 4.6xs, Im surprised to see that Vaccaro is so highly thought of. I think Elam looks better on tape and measurables. And as far as still not getting a #1WR when one is available is so vexing and perplexing Im goona be out numerous TVs after tonight.
    I don't want to turn this into another Vaccaro thread, because he's been debated endlessly on this forum in the last couple of months.

But when I watch him play, he doesn't look like a 4.6 player to me. If he was, you'd think a guy like Tavon Austin, a likely Top 15 pick in this draft and 4.3 forty runner, would have eaten him alive when West Virginia played Texas, since Vaccaro was frequently isolated on Austin during that game.

Yet Austin's numbers against Texas weren't that impressive; he had 10 catches for 102 yards, which included a 40 yard touchdown grab that came when Vaccaro was in man coverage against a different receiver.

Alen Dumonjic wrote a pretty good article for Rotoworld back in October about why Vaccaro projects well to the NFL. Like every prospect, he has his weaknesses and things he needs to work on. But when you're playing in a division where you've got a dangerous receiving tight end in Vernon Davis, two quarterbacks in Wilson and Kaepernick who can hurt you with their legs, and now a versatile slot weapon in Harvin that many compare Austin to, a Joker-type safety like Vaccaro who can line up and do a lot of different things makes some sense.

Kenny Vaccaro: Spread Stopper - Evaluations - Rotoworld.com
    TekeRam likes this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

If nothing else, this draft has been fascinating with the various opinions of Vacarro. As Nick has pointed out many times, Vacarro seems to represent the great chasm between fans and scouts in the evaluation process. Many fans have questioned Vacarro's value in the back half of the 1st round, siting that he is strictly in-the-box and concluding that coverage is a weakness. Yet, the insiders, at least many, have deemed him as the top Safety, and the best coverage safety in both man and coverage.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is online now Registered User

Just to confirm....Robert Woods never had a Rams workout ? right ? -- because the Rams don't use round 1 or round 2 picks on anyone that they didn't workout....

TekeRam is offline Registered User

First off, as Nick has pointed out, Vaccaro played straight up against Austin, who is supposed to be some wonderous, uncoverable megastar. So, with one running a completely non-football related sprint in 4.3 seconds and the other in 4.6... something seems like it doesn't match up. Could it be the non-football related activity? Jarvis Jones ran 4.9 but he still somehow got behind the line of scrimmage to lead the nation in tackles for loss.

Vaccaro is a dynamic cover safety who can play close to the line or play off. He's a Troy Palomalu. I don't know or think he has the same kind of instincts that Troy has, but he has that ability to play all over the field and be successful. That is why he's the top safety, because he can play up or play zone or man coverage. He's an ideal free safety to cover the new age Tight Ends in my opinon.

As for Ogletree, I found it hilarious that Mayock talked about not seeing a way to stretch a receiver at 22 but then had Patterson go the next pick. Ogletree can play the Will, which is what we should draft, but we need offensive help just as much as we need to fill out the defense. I'd be fine taking our pick of the non-Austin WR's at #22 or further down when we trade out. Bad Mayock, bad!
    I believe!

vanillasue is offline Registered User

I just don't like taking a safety that high when I think we can get one just as good in the second round. I would be very happy with WR and Ogletree/Brown with the first 2 picks. Game changers. Not sure Vacarro is worth that high of a pick and history proves that Safeties are not worth the first 16 picks in the draft with a possible exception here and there over the last 40 years.
    richtree likes this.

richtree is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    I just don't like taking a safety that high when I think we can get one just as good in the second round. I would be very happy with WR and Ogletree/Brown with the first 2 picks. Game changers. Not sure Vacarro is worth that high of a pick and history proves that Safeties are not worth the first 16 picks in the draft with a possible exception here and there over the last 40 years.
    Agree...and unless your a die hard Ram fan or play or coach for the Rams, you don't realize the extreme need for offensive players, especially in the EJD and with a tough division in the NFC West (probably the best defensive division in all of football)

Fisher and staff now realize -- offense is needed more than anything and at there will be a focus on that....