Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: Thoughts On Scouting The Bowl Games

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Thoughts On Scouting The Bowl Games

Fun watching tha games when you really don't care who wins, just which top draft picks perform the best, and which later ranked guys helped themselves, which is far more likely to happen at the All-Star games and the combine, and lter private workouts.

As I watche the games, I looked mostly at the top QBs, the first rounders, who wre playing, not for the Rams sake, as t hey won't take one of those guys, but to figure how the trade down scenarios would play out if Clowney went first overall.

I don't think he will, with an offensive coach taking over in Houston. In the end, I think it will be Bridewater or the people's choice, Manziel going first overall to the Texans.

They have not been a team to move on draft day, not in round one a least.

The Rams need that deal down to acquire another top 40 pick, because of their cap situation and the number of needs to fill, and also the really good top 40 talent this daft offers.

I believe the Rams first pick will be for an OT, even IF Saffold re-signs.

I believe it will be with Atlanta's 6th overall pick, and I believe it will be Jake Matthews.

Having taken that huge need first, and added a second rounder this year and more, like a first and second next year, the Rams are left with, barring a surprise free agent or trade acquisition before the draft, starting holes to fill at Safety, Guard, and OLB

The problem is, picking at 3, it's too early ib those areas for all but CJ Mosley, the Alabama OLB.

I don't see the Rams going LB two years staright in round one, not for a guy t hat will spend passing downs on the bench.

So that means either another deal down, unless some safety just shoots up draft boards, OR looking to bolster a secondary need instead.

Those needs are CB, C, WR, DT

At pick 13, it's clear to me that the best available talent will be WR and OT.

Having already taken their OT first, Fisher and Snead will be looking at another deal, and I'm sure their phone lines will be open.

If none is forthcoming, they will choose between WR Mike Evans, CB Darqueze Dennard, and Mosley, with Ha Ha Clinton Dix the top safety, a possibility if he really shines this off-season and in his bowl game and any All Star games.

I'm gonna say it's between Evans and Dennard if they stay put, which I doubt they will.

If other big WR like Benjamin, Adams, Coleman are close to Evans by draft day, a tade down would seem even more likely if a big WR is a coveted item, as it should be.

If the Rams then have two high rd 2 picks after the first deal with Atlanta, the talent pool is very strong at CB and G, probably not at safety, though one may rop that is worthy of that round pick.

I spend today looking at tapes of the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl, this time to watch guards David Yankey and Cyril Richardson, who will probably go late in round one.

If the Rams deal down from 13th, these guys could be on the radar, along with Clinton-Dix and remaining WRs.

I was very impor essed with both of these guards, though they are very different players.
    Yankey is a technician, with great athleticism.

Richardson is a freak of nature, a 340lb pulling guard. He is a house, that is just hard to get ar ound in pass protection, and an irresistable force in the running game.

Both are experienced, and Richardson has the long arms to play RT in a pinch. Think Tootie Robbins, former St louis Cardinal RT.

Didn't get a chance to watch Notre Dame star OL Zach Martin, but he plays LT now, projecting as aguar d in the NFL . Also didn't see Gabe Jackson, another road grader type.

So you have two quicker types and two behemoths hs to choose from at guard in this draft, and surely one will fall to round two.

I think the Rams must bolster their inside O-line with a pretty sur e thing, so I am earmarking a late #1 or early #2 at that position.

That other #2 would be best served looking at safeties, WR if you haven't taken one, or even a wild card like a RB if the best ones are still there.

I don't think the Rams will go OLB at all the first two days, unless one too good to pass up drops to them.

If they don't drop out of 13th, I am looking Evans or Dennard there, and then a guard and safety in round two, with a WR or DT a long shot.

Round three I start looking at QB, and if no value there, I look OL, DT, S, CB, OLB, taking best available there.

Then I look the remaining needs in the last rounds, starting at QB if I haven't gotten one yet.

Much will hinge on just how bad Fisher and Snead thing they need ANOTHER WR very early.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Thoughts On Scouting The Bowl Games

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I don't think he will, with an offensive coach taking over in Houston. In the end, I think it will be Bridewater or the people's choice, Manziel going first overall to the Texans.
    Agreed. If it wasn't already, I think O'Brien's hiring makes a QB the obvious choice.

I believe the Rams first pick will be for an OT, even IF Saffold re-signs.

I believe it will be with Atlanta's 6th overall pick, and I believe it will be Jake Matthews.

Having taken that huge need first, and added a second rounder this year and more, like a first and second next year, the Rams are left with, barring a surprise free agent or trade acquisition before the draft, starting holes to fill at Safety, Guard, and OLB
    So you think the Falcons will trade the 6th overall pick, their 2014 second rounder, and a first AND second next year to move up for Clowney? That would be quite a haul. Great if it happens, but I think that's probably more than what the Rams will get. Not sure I see Snead completely fleecing his friends in the ATL, but I won't complain if he does!

If they don't drop out of 13th, I am looking Evans or Dennard there, and then a guard and safety in round two, with a WR or DT a long shot.
    I'm happy to see you're coming around on Dennard. I think he has a good chance to emerge as the top corner in this class and a legit option in the #10-20 range, but you're right in that there could be some good value at the position in the late first or early second, if the Rams have some ammo after an earlier move down.