Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Thoughts WIth a Week to Go

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Thoughts WIth a Week to Go

The personal draft boards ar e pretty much set, and barring trades, mocks are locked in, and so it is with NFL GMs and coaches in the war rooms. What we draftniks do not know, which ruins all of our rankings for our team, is the private workouts.

No one ever knows how they go exactly, and you won't hear teams crowing about a guy after one, at least till after they draft him.

Every year, the t hing I hear the most from the guys doing the drafting is how a guy wowed the coaches at a private workout.

Now, that won't top all the film work the teams do, or the interview process and combine or workout measurables, but it will narrow who they actually pick, and we fans won't even know it.

We may see any of three receivers a great fit for the Rams, but they may see one of them as far superior to the others and the guy they truly want, so when they trade up to get a guy, we'll say they could have waited and get any of what we perceive as an equal trio.

More than anything that has happened in three months, it's these workouts, like the ones the Rams had with Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Brian Quick, Isaiah Pead, Daryl Richardson, Chris Givens and even the punters and kickers, that determine which of a group of equally rated guys is their pick.

Trying to remember back to December, when the college season ended, here are some guys I see as rising and falling the most from post season work.

Fallers: DaMontre Moore DE, Jarvis Jones LB, Bjorn Werner DE, Manti Te'o LB,
    Eddie Lacey RB, Geno Smith QB. Matt Barkley QB, Jon Banks CB, Jon Hankins DT

Risers: Lane Johnson OT Tavon Austin WR, Tyler Eifert TE, EJ Manuel QB, DJ Haynes CB, Ziggy Ansah DE, Sylvester Williams DT, Margus Hunt DE, Tank Carradine DE, S Kenny Vaccaro, Jamar Taylor CB, Xavier Rhodes CB, Dion Jordan LB, Sheldon Richardson DT, Sharif Floyd DT

As I look at guys I like and where they may end up because the Rams go another direction, a see a couple that stand out.

I am convinced the Niners will draft Eric Reid, and I think we'll be very sorry we have to face him twice a year to remind the Rams of what they passed up.

We won't have to face him much, but I can see Jarvis Jones also making the Rams regret it if they have a chance to get him and don't. Imagine the Rams with TWO JJ's in the defense, along with Janoris Jenkins. Maybe they could draft DT John Jenkins mid round as well and have THREE JJs.

You wonder if the Rams selections will at all be influenced by who will be in the draft in 2014, when again they have two #1 picks. It looks to be another good year for O-line for instance, so could that lead them, knowing Saffold is a one year and done guy, to wait till 2014 to get his replacement, hopefully Jake Mathews?

It looks like some other OT, Manelik Watson, Justin Pugh, DJ Fluker, T. Armstead, are moving up, as well as a couple more guards.

It appears that a very good player at that position could be there at 46, should the Rams not take one in round one, as they are not projected to. However, with so many teams NOT getting the OT they want in round one, and good teams taking them late in the round, those guys mentioned might not make it to 46.

In that case, the Rams have to wait till 2014 to address that need, though a guard could be had later in the draft, maybe a developmental type RT.

It seems clear that one Rams #1 will be a WR, and that they will look for a KR later in the draft if that WR isn't Austin or Patterson.

The other #1 seems certain to be an OT, G, OLB, or safety, unless Jeff Fisher has a DT there he simply cannot pass up. Looking at the rankings, it seems certain that a safety, linebacker, or guard will surely be there at 46 that would not be a reach, and likely a bargain.

This is about a 50 player deep draft for really good talent, so the Rams don't really have to worry about not filling a hole in round two with a good player at any need position

It may even come down to who they might get in round three and four, when they choose which way to go in round two, unless a really obvious guy is there.

I really see the Rams making some deals, mostly down, but also possibly moving UP from 46 to around 35 if the right guy falls out of round one. They have the ammunition to do deals, and Snead clearly loves doing just that to get his guys, those ones that had the great private workouts and interviews.

If I had to guess, I would say the Rams go WR, OT, and S with those first three picks. The OT could be at 16 the WR at 22 or the other way around.

This is of course, unless a defensive stud too good to pass up falls to the Rams in round one .
    Nick likes this.

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thoughts WIth a Week to Go

I have to say... this is a heck of a lot more fun than the years when the Rams had the first or second pick in the draft. Those were about a suspenseful as an episode of the Brady Bunch. This year, I really think its going to right down to the wire with each of the two first round picks.
    Rambos, Nick, eric2810 and 1 others like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Thoughts WIth a Week to Go

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I am convinced the Niners will draft Eric Reid, and I think we'll be very sorry we have to face him twice a year to remind the Rams of what they passed up.
    Unfortunately, I also think they pull the trigger at the end of round 1 if he's still available.

Hopefully the Rams snatch him up at 22. That's what I'd like to see. They can keep Craig Dahl, ughhh.