Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weddle is offline Registered User

Three Round Mock Draft

Taken from my YankeeDoodleBrit Tumblr Blog...

With the Combine over, Pro Days in full swing and the major excitement of Free Agency finished it seems about the right time to revisit the “If I were the Rams GM”-cum-Mock Draft mentality.

Rather than leap right into a Mock Draft it’s probably best to take a moment to analyse the Rams current projected starting roster and see what looks good, not so good and down-right awful!

Let’s start with the Offense. For the purpose of this I’m assuming Holt is going to be released.

Offense:

QB - Bulger 6'3 205
    RB - Jackson 6'2 235
    FB - Karney 5'11 255
    TE - McMichael 6'3 255

WR - Avery 5'11 185
    WR - Burton 6'1 200 #3 WR - Stanley 5'11 180

LT - Barron 6'7 315
    LG - Greco 6'4 315
    C - Brown 6'3 320
    RG - Incognito 6'3 320
    RT - Bell 6'4 295

The addition of Mike Karney at fullback is a solid addition by the Front Office. It gives S-Jax the lead blocker he has needed and wanted (@sj39 - I love waking up to good news. We (Rams) just signed FB Mike Karney. Who says complaining don't get u anywhere..Lol (joke)).

The loss of Holt is a worry. Avery is not a prototypical #1 wideout and probably better suited to a #2 speedster role. Burton will benefit from playing time and hopefully if he can stay fit he’ll be a valuable member of the offense. McMichael will be coming off injury and is much better at catching than blocking. Rumours are that when the Rams are not pounding the rock they’ll be operating out of a West Coast Offense, which means McMichael will be a go-to guy for Bulger. Bulger himself needs to snap out of a rut. After making the Pro Bowl he has posted to abysmal years, but the decimation of the line due to injuries and poor play can be partly blamed. Moving on to talking about the O-Line...

The release of Pro-Bowler Orlando Pace has left many pundits pre-empting the choice of Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith at 1.2, but Billy Devaney has announced the line will be as above. Barron is supposed to be more comfortable as a LT, but at the end of the day false-starts and bonehead mistakes can’t be excused. Many were worried by Jacob Bell’s loss of weight mid-season (to 280lbs) and he’ll have to bulk up in order to be a successful RT. The signing of Jason Brown is exactly what the doctor ordered and Greco, a 4-year starter in college, has to be given a chance.

The overall opinion of the offense is that we have possibly one of the weakest wide-receiving corps in the NFL and an O-Line with a few questions to answer. Good news is that S-Jax is a stud and when healthy he can do serious damage, especially now he has Karney in front of him. OT and WR have to rank very high on the needs list and should be addressed early. It is conceivable that the Rams would look for the above O-Line to start in 2009 but only if their draft board sees some players slip in other positions. Say that they take Aaron Curry at 1.2 and then see Kenny Britt slip to them at 2.2? Or *shock horror* they pick Michael Crabtree at 1.2 and James Laurinaitis or Alphonso Smith is available at 2.2 whilst there has been a run on OTs?? It’s unlikely that a Day 2 O-Lineman is going to crack the starting line-up in my opnion...

Defense:

DE - Long 6'3 265
    NT - Ryan 6'3 315
    DT - Carriker 6'6 310
    DE - Little 6'3 265

SLB - Culberson 6'1 245
    MLB - Draft 5’11 235
    WLB - Witherspoon 6'1 240

CB - Bartell 6'1 210
    CB - Hill 5'10 185 #3 CB - King 5'11 195

FS - Atogwe 5'11 210
    SS - James Butler 6'3 215

Many fans are very excited about the Rams secondary after they re-signed Ron Bartell, tagged Atogwe and signed SS James Butler, but personally I’m not jumping on any band wagon about how great this unit will be. Bartell and Atogwe were both there last year, so Butler is the only new addition and he didn’t exactly garner high levels of interest in Free Agency. I’m not slamming the unit, I’m just not brimming over with the optimism of others. We need to remember that in 2008 we allowed the 2nd most points per game (29.1), allowed the 4th highest number of passes over 20yds (51) and =5th highest number of passes over 40yds (11) whilst making only 12 interceptions (5 by Atogwe) which ranked 21st in the league. It’s not like we had run-stuffing safeties either and teams beat us deep. We were the 4th worst team by average yards per rush (4.9) and also allowed the 2nd most rushing touchdowns (26). We are in desperate need for another corner to play alongside Bartell as Hill and Wade look like busts, while King is still an unknown after his injury in 2008.

As for the linebacker trio, Witherspoon wants to move outside where he is more supposed to be effective while Draft and Culberson are ‘upgradeable’. The D-Line is also middling at best. Chris Long will improve as he learns the game more and his motor and work ethic leave him in good stead. Little is in a contract year, but is certainly ageing. Carriker would benefit from having a bigger body alongside him than Ryan, who has not set the world on fire by any means.

On the plus side, Steve Spagnuolo, our new Head Coach, did mastermind the defeat of the 17-0 Patriots and their ‘unstoppable offense’ two years ago in the SuperBowl. If we can create a better pass-rush it will have a knock on effect of making the defensive backs job easier, so look for Spags and Billy D to look for situational pass-rushers on Day 2 come Draft Day. A Nose Tackle would also be nice, but for me defensive back depth is key. On a shaky looking unit the depth is paper thin and that’s a worry...

My Mock Draft

Round 1:

Jason Smith - OT – Baylor - 6’5 – 310

Smith’s draft stock has been rising a lot in the past few months. The former tight-end had an excellent combine in the workouts and in the interviews. Spagnuolo stated he want to build a team around his 4 Pillars of, “Faith. Character. Core values. Team first.” Smith fits that bill. He also has potential to be even better than advertised as he is a relatively raw prospect, although there is a risk with him that is more so than with Eugene Monroe. I also think that the Front Office will really like how agile he is because of his TE background, meaning he will be able to get outside and into the second level, hopefully opening up holes for Action Jackson.

Round 2:

Sean Smith – CB – Utah – 6’3 – 215

If Kenny Britt is still there, I think we take him, but it looks like the Giants will snap him up as Burress’ successor. Some may this is too high for Sean Smith but after selecting Avery ‘early’ last year I think Devaney will go with his big board and do what’s needed. If they can drop down a few spots and take him, they should. They may look at corners like Alphonso Smith, Darius Butler and D.J. Moore if they are still on the board, but they will be poor match-ups on the lanky wide-receivers of the NFL and susceptible to jump balls. Sean Smith is agile and great intangibles and showed during the ‘bama game that he can play in the big games. We are DESPERATE for defensive backs, I could even see us taking one of the top rated Safeties if they are ranked high enough by the FO and there has been a run on OTs and CBs.

Round 3:

Brian Robiskie – WR – Ohio St – 6’3 – 210

A possession receiver with good route running skills and safe hands to play opposite Avery, with Burton in the slot. His Dad, Terry, was an NFL player and wide-receivers coach. He was noted at the North team’s Most Outstanding Player at the Senior Bowl and looks a solid, dependable receiver who some teams will pass on as they fall in love with faster, less-talented players.

I’m not going to actually pick players any further as I’d really be guessing as my knowledge of college football isn’t all that and it really is needle-in-a-haystack stuff. I can see us taking a Defensive-End, Nose Tackle and Middle Linebacker. Hopefully we’ll pick up a project Safety too.

Summary:

Taking into account my draft picks the 2009 Rams would line up on Offense with Robiskie as the #1 WR and Avery as #2 (Burton in the slot). Jason Smith would start at RT, moving Jacob Bell back inside to LG. Hopefully Greco would push Incognito for the starting spot at RG. On Defense Sean Smith would start opposite Bartell and that would probably be the main change unless a NT or MLB excelled at camp. We have a lot of needs, too many to fill in one draft unfortunately. It's slightly a case of turning it over to a new regime and hoping that they will do something that the last lot didn't! If the O-Line can keep Bulger standing it will make the world of difference. Add in a starting corner and better pass-rush and the D simply HAS to improve (it can't get any worse!)

MarshallMarshall Guest

Re: Three Round Mock Draft

IMO you totally ignored the fact that are biggest holes are at MLB and DT, WR and CB should be addressed in 4 and 5 not 2 and 3. We need to get bigger and more depth in the middle of our D. We could be stacked in our backfield and it wouldn't matter we need to stop the run and get pressure on the QB. Picking a CB and WR in round 2 and 3 would be a total Linehan move.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

These things I know are just for fun...however I don't see Robiskie lasting too long in Round 2 much less Round 3. I could see the Rams taking him in Round 2 though. marshallcubed.....Our biggest holes are everywhere, even RB is a hole because there is no one behind Jackson. I've seen mocks from professional mockers (hey nick, is there such a thing?) that have the Rams drafting a RB in Round 2.

When the St. Louis Cardinals took Steve Little - K in Round 1 once right then I knew that this draft is.......wait for it....................a crapshoot.

Drink up.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    these things i know are just for fun...however i don't see robiskie lasting too long in round 2 much less round 3. I could see the rams taking him in round 2 though. Marshallcubed.....our biggest holes are everywhere, even rb is a hole because there is no one behind jackson. I've seen mocks from professional mockers (hey nick, is there such a thing?) that have the rams drafting a rb in round 2.

When the st. Louis cardinals took steve little - k in round 1 once right then i knew that this draft is.......wait for it....................a crapshoot.

Drink up.
    sure a backup rb is a hole, but it is no where near our biggest. We have one of the best rb in the league.... Is there 1 guy you can say that about on our d...no not even close. Our biggest needs our up the middle on d, therefore why not address this as early as possible???? Seems like elementry to me !!!!!!!

Drink up.......

ecuram18 is offline Registered User

We HAVE to get an OT early, a MLB early, and hopefully we can get a big guy to play nose tackle. Then go get a WR and CB. Our new staff is going to be better than our one of the last 5 years. Maybe making the players train harder, study better, and overall play better, some of the guys on our team, not playing to their potential and seem like busts now will actually be alot better when properly coached. Wishful thinking! But you never know. Let's shock the world in 09! or '10, maybe '11?

Drink up is a tongue in cheek thing here at ClanRam. I had a tendency last year to say the draft is a crapshoot on numerous occassions so laram0 and TekeRam came up with a drinking game every time I said the draft is a crap shoot.

Now, back to your premise. Yes, the middle of the defense is heavily weak but I've been around long enough to know that I have no earthly clue what goes on in a draft war room. It would not shock me in the LEAST if the Rams took an RB in Round 2. Wasn't Steven Jackson on our team two years ago and what did the Rams do? Drafted Brian Leonard in Round 2.

Best thing to do when it comes to how a team will draft IMO is to say you have no idea what they are going to do.

I don't think a good enough MLB will be there in the 2nd when we pick as the class is pretty shallow, while the corners are a deeper class. Once to top few MLBs are gone there is a big quality gap and I thought WR would be better 'value' in the 3rd.

I'd be an advocate for trading up from our third pick to get the right player whoever it may be.

I get the feeling we can get some good value at 2.3 and then wouldn't be suprised to see up try and move back up into the 2nd IF the right player was still there.

MarshallMarshall Guest

drink up is a tongue in cheek thing here at clanram. I had a tendency last year to say the draft is a crapshoot on numerous occassions so laram0 and tekeram came up with a drinking game every time i said the draft is a crap shoot.

Now, back to your premise. Yes, the middle of the defense is heavily weak but i've been around long enough to know that i have no earthly clue what goes on in a draft war room. It would not shock me in the least if the rams took an rb in round 2. Wasn't steven jackson on our team two years ago and what did the rams do? Drafted brian leonard in round 2.

Best thing to do when it comes to how a team will draft imo is to say you have no idea what they are going to do.
    ya we did draft leonard in round 2 and imo that was terrible imo we have better decision makers in our f.o. And coming off a 2-14 season we should draft for need...... And again imo that is what we should expect to see come the draft.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

IMO lets get the BPA available is Curry. Maybe we can move up to get help for the OL.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I have to agree that Robiskie is out by the top 10-15 picks in the second round, although I would love for us to take him in the third.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I really liked the write-up and the direction of the mock. I appreciate that guys like Sean Smith and Robiskie are as much value picks as they are need picks, because I think if either of those guys are on the board when we pick in the second and third round respectively - and I think there's definitely a good possibility they are - then the Rams may opt to take both over bigger needs at NT, MLB because of that value. Some don't like Robiskie's chances of making it out of the second round, but every year as the first day of the draft ends, there are a couple of guys regarded as first day prospects who slipped through the cracks.

sashadpb is offline Registered User

Our biggest holes are everywhere, even RB is a hole because there is no one behind Jackson. I've seen mocks from professional mockers (hey nick, is there such a thing?) that have the Rams drafting a RB in Round 2.
    Yes, but you can find decent RB and in 4th Round. Tashard Choice is good example.

I'm not necessarily saying we should take a RB in Round 2, I'm saying it wouldn't surprise if they did.

Nothing surprises me on draft day. I don't watch it.

I'd like to add that playing big receivers like Fitzgerald and Houshmandzadeh twice a year emphasise our need for corners that can either jump REALLY high, or aren't short.

The game is, to a degree, is about match-ups. 5'10 and shorter corners get picked on when they come up against tall wideouts like Fitz, Moss and the Johnson's. Unless they are a freakish play-maker they just ain't gonna cut it. Chances we find such a hero outside of Day 1 are slim.

If we can get better value elsewhere (WR, MLB, NT) we should. I'm just saying our defensive backfield is mediocre at best, not to mention paper thin. Anyone thinking the addition of James Butler (as the ONLY upgrade) means it will suddenly become an above-average unit needs to think again.

If someone is going to argue a better pass-rush will help hide our DB woes I whole-heartedly agree, BUT, where is this pass-rush coming from? Spagnuolo is a genius, agreed, but it's not like anyone is projecting us to get a Day 1 pass-rusher. We are expecting him to work miracles with what he already has. Yes Chris Long should improve, but where else will the sacks come from?? Leonard Little? Possibly, but he's not exactly a force is he?

eldfan is offline Registered User

I don't like the CB with the second round pick a DT or MLB will be a bigger need.
    :ramlogo:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast