MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Tidbit on Glen Dorsey ..

Taking a knee
    Questions persist about LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey's knee. A report on Jaguars.com this week said: "The risk with Dorsey is a mysterious knee injury. Dorsey hasnít run for the scouts and thereís suspicion that heís undergone knee surgery."

Yet, two sources confirmed Tuesday that Dorsey has not had knee surgery, which is consistent with what the defensive tackle told people at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Others have witnessed Dorsey running and training for his March 26 Pro Day at LSU, no signs of a knee injury. Questions might persist until he runs that day, but Dorsey intends to show NFL coaches and scouts that his knee is fine.

To prove his stock has not taken too much of a hit, the two teams that have shown the most interest in arranging private visits and workouts with Dorsey are the St. Louis Rams, who are scheduled to pick second overall, and the Falcons, who are scheduled to pick third.

Many consider Dorsey to be a surefire top-5 pick.

Have to say that whether Dorsey's knee is healthy or not, after watching the video provided by Big Horn, if Chris Long is there at #2, my guess is he will be a Ram ..

Garrard, Jaguars closing in on new, lucrative deal

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tidbit on Glen Dorsey ..

Merely scheduling a workout/meeting does not mean all that much. The Rams have already taken a long look at C.Long, J.Long and Gholston. My guess is that the only way they'd take Dorsey is if they trade down.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Merely scheduling a workout/meeting does not mean all that much. The Rams have already taken a long look at C.Long, J.Long and Gholston. My guess is that the only way they'd take Dorsey is if they trade down.
    There really is so much stuff out there you don't know what to believe until draft day. There are reports that the Rams are infatuated and in love with Gholston, but is that actually true or do they want to trade down and select Dorsey later on? No one really knows what we are going to do, I think, given Chris Long is gone, it will be between Gholston and Dorsey on draft day.

Big Horn is offline Registered User

I have to agree with you guys.

I just can't see the Rams going for another DT, not with the number 2 pick. Now if the price was right and we move down and Dorsey slips a bit maybe then the value will surpass the need. But as it stands I'm more and more convinced that we take best DE available with our pick. Then if we pick up another late round DE we might be set up front for a long time to come.

Now that would make for a memorable draft if C. Long goes first to Miami and we take Gholston. First time for back to back DEs?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If trading down is an option, the Rams better have a good idea of not just the top 2 or 3 players, but their top 6 or 7 players.

What good is trading down if you fall in love with 1 or 2 guys and neglect the scouting of others?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Very, very true, Hub. What I find interesting is that we aren't hearing much of anything about Sedrick Ellis, who is listed as a better DT than Dorsey on some draft boards. I'm not sure when the condoms' pro day is, so it could just be that we aren't close to it yet.

I'm sure we'll end up having private workouts with both Longs, Dorsey and Gholston for sure, and maybe even Ryan Clady to show we're looking to trade down too. Just remember, everything said between January and May is smokescreen.

Rambos is online now Registered User

If we end up with Dorsey or Gholston, we have to move back in the draft IMO.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Very, very true, Hub. What I find interesting is that we aren't hearing much of anything about Sedrick Ellis, who is listed as a better DT than Dorsey on some draft boards. I'm not sure when the condoms' pro day is, so it could just be that we aren't close to it yet.
    Just remember, everything said between January and May is smokescreen.
    Condoms' pro day? Did I read that right?

If we were to draft Dorsey? I'm assuming that means Carriker would move back to the DE position? I don't like it, period. I want a DE in the draft whether it be C Long or Gholston. I want to keep Carriker on the inside.

I'm assuminmg all this talk is in fact a smokescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Condoms' pro day? Did I read that right?

If we were to draft Dorsey? I'm assuming that means Carriker would move back to the DE position? I don't like it, period. I want a DE in the draft whether it be C Long or Gholston. I want to keep Carriker on the inside.

I'm assuminmg all this talk is in fact a smokescreen.
    What can I say? I hate USC with a passion.

I think that if we draft Dorsey, unless we make sacrifices at other positions(WR, OLB?) in the draft and go after the best DE at the top of the second and then O line in the third, that it is a certainty that Carriker moves back outside, yes. Even if we do go after a DE at the top of the second, we could move him outside with Dorsey on the roster. But only in certain situations.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I have a strong feeling that Dorsey will impress at his pro day, which should help his stock. But even if he does do well, it still won't completely put to rest the questions over his injuries. Each team doctor will have to make that judgment call.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If trading down is an option, the Rams better have a good idea of not just the top 2 or 3 players, but their top 6 or 7 players.

What good is trading down if you fall in love with 1 or 2 guys and neglect the scouting of others?
    Well obviously the good is the extra pick you receive when making the trade. But yes, I do agree, depending on how far they were to drop down, the scouting should certainly include several players.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Well obviously the good is the extra pick you receive when making the trade. But yes, I do agree, depending on how far they were to drop down, the scouting should certainly include several players.
    But that's the point. Some get concerned when the Rams start scouting players other than the annointed 2 or 3. But if a trade down is an option, then a whole range of players need to be scouted to cover all bases depending on where the pick winds up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

All teams(ok, 31 of the 32, I have no idea who the lone wolf is) are part of a scouting combine, meaning that they all share the same information, so it comes down to the team's front office(yeah, I know, it's scary) and other internal personnel to come up with how each player would play in their system. When you see people head out to these pro days and private workouts, obviously it shows that they have an interest in them, but the only thing they're looking for is specifics. They already have seen all the film and analyzed it to no end. They'll want to see their willingness to try new things in a practice setting and how well they interview and see the stuff you don't see on tape.

Even when you don't see a Rams person at a pro day that doesn't mean they're not watching from a far, they'll get the report from the scouts that were.

LinkBacks (?)