Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Tidbits from Mike Mayock on Detroit's plans, Aaron Curry, and offensive tackles

Mike Mayock: Lions will likely draft Matt Stafford, but it's 'way too early'
    by Tom Kowalski
    Tuesday February 10, 2009, 2:36 PM

Mike Mayock, draft expert for the NFL Network, held a conference call with media from around the country today and here is Part One of the highlights:

--- On the first overall pick: "Matt Stafford's probably going No. 1 to Detroit, but it's way too early to say that (definitively).''

Mayock said if a team is looking for a franchise type quarterback who can play immediately, it's Stafford or Mark Sanchez. He said Josh Freeman is something of a project (even though he might go in the first round).

About the quarterback position, Mayock said, "When building a franchise, the first thing I'm going to do is underwrite the quarterback position.''

--- On linebacker Aaron Curry of Wake Forest: "Scott Pioli will look at him (with the No. 3 pick). I think Curry is the safest pick in the draft. When sitting at No. 3, you can't make a mistake - he has to be a good football player and Curry is that kind of guy.''

Mayock said he couldn't really draw a comparison between Curry and an NFL linebacker because he's so unique. Mayock said Curry could play equally well as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or a 4-3 alignment.

--- On the offensive tackles: Mayock has them listed, in order, as Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe and Andre Smith. He said all three could be taken in the top 10 picks.

Mayock compared Jason Smith to Ryan Clady, who had a Pro Bowl-type year with the Broncos. "Smith is very athletic and he'll be a good pass protector on day one. He needs to work on his run blocking, but I said the same thing about Joe Thomas. The key is his ability to pass protect immediately and Monroe has the same thing.''

Mayock said Monroe isn't as physically tough as Smith and that Andre Smith has issues with his weight. Mayock said he still has more film work to do on Andre Smith but "there's been some weight fluctuation and that worries me. He's fought the weight his entire life.''

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Tidbits from Mike Mayock on Detroit's plans, Aaron Curry, and offensive tackles

Copycat I posted that yesterday lol

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tidbits from Mike Mayock on Detroit's plans, Aaron Curry, and offensive tackles

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Copycat I posted that yesterday lol
    You mean you already posted the full article or that it shares an opinion you posted?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You mean you already posted the full article or that it shares an opinion you posted?
    No It just shares my opinions

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mayock
    --- On linebacker Aaron Curry of Wake Forest: "Scott Pioli will look at him (with the No. 3 pick). I think Curry is the safest pick in the draft. When sitting at No. 3, you can't make a mistake - he has to be a good football player and Curry is that kind of guy.''

Mayock said he couldn't really draw a comparison between Curry and an NFL linebacker because he's so unique. Mayock said Curry could play equally well as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or a 4-3 alignment.
    Mike, Mike, Mike.....you've got to come up with your own conclusions. Quit reading my stuff and posting it as yours!

Ok seriously.....I'm extrapolating, but Mayock's remarks would point me in the direction of thinking Curry may not be projected to move inside. Disappointing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod