Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Time of the year again. Rockin Mock Draft v1.0

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Time of the year again. Rockin Mock Draft v1.0

Last year I didn't quite do many mock drafts, but the years before that I was pretty involved. I love mock drafts.

Anyways, here's my first version. Comes with a picture and analysis.

Let's assume we are switching to a 3-4 defense. Why? Because it's fun and it makes it more interesting.

Free Agency:

Red Bryant DT/NT:
    Would anchor the middle of our 3-4 line. As an Aggie, I have natural bias.

Calais Campbell DE
    : Would help anchor the new 3-4 line with newly acquired Bryant. Campbell is a monster, and Arizona may keep him but we have seen more weirder things.

Barrett Rudd LB: Is an intelligent linebacker who would make a good back-up. Possesses good intelligence (i.e JLau) but is getting older and is not as athletic.

Carl Nicks OG: We need to add either a starting tackle or guard in FA, and I feel like Nicks has a better chance of being in the market than Demetrius Bell (of the Bills). He will replace Jacob Bell, and will give our interior a huge presence, paving way alongside Wragge and Dahl. Jason Smith will be at LT and Saffold will move to RT.

Owen Schmitt FB: I was a huge fan of this guy when he was coming out of college, and with bigger things to worry about, the Seahawks might let this guy go. He will gives us a hammer at the fullback position, and with Nicks and Dahl up front and Schmitt paving way, our run game will finally get going again.

Brandon Lloyd WR: Need I say more?

Round 1: Justin Blackmon [WR] (6'1, 210lbs.) Ok. State

Analysis: I think it is obvious. But for those who wonder, Blackmon will do many things here. 1) He will immediately improve the offense. 2) He will make Sam Bradford happy. 3) His presence will help keep Brandon Lloyd here.

This guy is dynamic, and pair him up with Lloyd and Salas/Amendola and we suddenly have ourselves a playmaking WR corps.

Player Comparison: Greg Jennings/Roddy White

"Get off me lil' boy"

Round 2: Lamar Miller [RB] (5'11, 210lbs.) Miami

Analysis: Why a running back here? Well, glad you asked. Since we can't get Richardson, Miller is an awesome consolation prize. He has game-changing speed (4.3 dash), and is also a powerful runner, which makes for a lethal combination. Does not dance around much and hits the holes with authority. Shows solid vision and shifty moves. He has the potential to bring it to the house every time he touches the ball. Had great production at Miami, even with the o-line being inconsistent. He would make for an awesome compliment and future replacement to Steven Jackson, and already with our first 2 picks, we have made our offense an insane playmaking offense.

Player Comparison: Chris Johnson/DeAngelo Williams

Round 3: Coby Fleener [TE] (6'6, 245lbs.) Stanford

Analysis: Offense again? Yes offense again. If we had an offense this year, we immediately win at least half the games on our schedule.

Fleener is a very underrated TE. He was Luck's go to guy, and for good reason. He has great size and speed combination for a tight end, and he is a willing and capable blocker. He will make the transition from one solid QB to another solid QB. Lucky Fleener eh? He will finally give us a legit red-zone target. He has terrific hands and route running ability, and can make plays. He effortlessly plucked the ball with one hand in the endzone in double coverage against UCLA.

This guy will give Bradford the safety valve he needs, and will also give our offense some much needed size. We don't know if Kendricks will pan out, but if he does, it will be Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez 2.0.

Imagine this offense.

Player Comparison: Kevin Boss/Rob Gronkowski/Tony Scheffler

Round 4: Carmen Messina [LB] (6'2, 240lbs.) New Mexico

Analysis: Finally defense. I feel like our defense is not bad. We're obviously missing some pieces, but if our offense had any production whatsoever, we would still win games.

Carmen Messina is an underrated linebacker. He plays for small school New Mexico, but he is a very instinctive linebacker, and plays hard and tough. He is also a sound tackler, and shows great pursuit and nice play recognition.

Did I mention he is also the most productive linebacker in the country? He is a very smart and instinctive linebacker that has great starting potential after a year or two of being developed in the NFL.

Player Comparison: Honestly I don't really know.

Well, we do not have a round 5 draft pick thanks to Lloyd.

Round 6: Kyle Martens [P] (6'6, 230lbs.) Rice

Analysis: Why not? Huge punter with a huge leg.

Player Comparison: Shane Lechler/Sebastian Janikowski/Zoltan

Round 7:
    Randy Bullock [K] (5'9, 212lbs.) Texas A&M

Analysis: Bias here, plus he isn't a bad kicker. Plus, we are paying Brown too much money and he doesn't do much.

Let's take a look at our roster: (new additions are bolded)

QB: Bradford
    RB: Jackson / Miller
    FB: Schmitt
    1WR: Lloyd
    2WR: Blackmon
    3WR: Amendola
    4WR: Salas
    5WR: Pettis
    TE: Fleener / Kendricks / Hoomanawanui
    LT: Smith
    LG: Nicks
    C: Wragge
    RG: Dahl
    RT: Saffold

DE: Campbell
    NT: Bryant
    DE: Bannan / Robbins / Gibson
    OLB: Quinn
    OLB: Long
    ILB: Laurinaitis
    ILB: Messina / Rudd
    1CB: Bartell
    2CB: Fletcher
    3CB: Murphy
    4CB: Gordy
    5CB: Harris
    FS: Mikhell
    SS: Stewart
    K: Brown / Bullock
    P: Jones / Martens

Looking at our roster, I immediately see an electric offense. Bradford has never been this happy. With the addition of Blackmon, Miller and Fleener, it gives us a playmaker at every skill position on the offensive side of the ball. Talk about a revamp.

With the addition of Nicks, our interior should be solid. Wragge is not a bad center. He has an advantage because while he plays center now, he is a guard and a center playing with the strength of a tough-nosed guard is always good. Jason Smith should be better on the left side, and we'll see how Saffold does on the right side.

On defense, our new 3-4 defense is made up of a mostly free agent line. However, these additions are GOOD players that fit the scheme. Campbell is 6'8 300lbs, and Bryant is over 340lbs, so we have the size.

Laurinaitis and Messina should be a tackling duo and will be productive behind our new big linemen.

Quinn and Long will be terrors off the edge.

With our starting corners back, our secondary looks to be not bad especially with an emerging Mikhell and Stewart.

This right here, is a team I believe in. This is a winning team. And the best part? It's not unrealistic.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Time of the year again. Rockin Mock Draft v1.0

Nicely done, and even though we'd be getting yet another TE, we do need one. Not sure about the punter in the 6th lol.

Loved the twist with the 3-4.

after all is said and done, id rather take a Center in the 6th then a punter, besides that im on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Nicely done, and even though we'd be getting yet another TE, we do need one. Not sure about the punter in the 6th lol.

Loved the twist with the 3-4.

after all is said and done, id rather take a Center in the 6th then a punter, besides that im on board.
    Thanks for the feedback. The punter in the 6th is just a semi-joke, but at the same time, I don't see any center currently that would be available in the 6th round that attract me. All of them to me are probably practice squad/camp bodies. Who knows, we might find a diamond in the rough but so far the late round centers don't impress me.

Yea, understandable. But we definatly need a back up to Wragge. Not sure if Brown is gonna be back or what they're gonna do with him. But if he goes we gotta grab someone.

Know any FA center we could pick up?

Just read Tommy Streeter out of Miami is entering the draft. Hes raw but talented, thought he'd stay one more year to get better. Itd be nice if he fell to the 6th and we snatch him up. Cut Gibby,Clayton and DX. Have Blackmon,Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, Curry and Streeter. Streeter is 6'4-6'6 200-215 lbs.

He'd be a project but if he falls that far id say grab him and at worst put him on PS.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Awesome thread... Will be posting my own Mock Off-Season in a bit...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Some problems. Owen Schmitt is on the Eagles, and wont be let go. I dont think Red Bryant will be let go either. And theres no chance that Calais Campbell is let go. Hes playing at a pro bowl level, and will be retained. But where do you get these ideas anyways? Was it perhaps my post on another thread?

I like the draft, other than the TE. I'd take an OLB.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I love the idea of going offense first 3 picks. The offense is terrible it has to be almost the entire focus. I really want to see the team average more than 10 points a game.
    I really hated the idea of drafting Kalil because of how many times we passed on playmakers for pilons, but Kalil is different. The Rams have never really had a chance at an OT who's floor is so high. The horrible tackles of 2009 (Smith, Monroe, Smith and Oher) aren't comparable to Kalil. I don't think Kalil or Blackmon will separate very much, both are elite and we really can't go wrong.
    Don't know much about the second round rb, but its a good pick.
    I hope Kendricks is following the path of Pettigrew and Gresham. High round picks that didn't really impress their first year in the passing game, but were very good blockers. I really expected more from him now though. That being said, we have no other TE's. Uhoh is always injured and Bajema sucks.

I'm not a big fan of switching to 3-4. The defense is actually playing as a unit and isn't missing that many pieces (DT and WLB). I guess its a possibility to switch, but the chances of getting a couple divisional pieces like Bryant and Campbell are zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    I love the idea of going offense first 3 picks. The offense is terrible it has to be almost the entire focus. I really want to see the team average more than 10 points a game.
    I really hated the idea of drafting Kalil because of how many times we passed on playmakers for pilons, but Kalil is different. The Rams have never really had a chance at an OT who's floor is so high. The horrible tackles of 2009 (Smith, Monroe, Smith and Oher) aren't comparable to Kalil. I don't think Kalil or Blackmon will separate very much, both are elite and we really can't go wrong.
    I hope Kendricks is following the path of Pettigrew and Gresham. High round picks that didn't really impress their first year in the passing game, but were very good blockers. I really expected more from him now though. That being said, we have no other TE's. Uhoh is always injured and Bajema sucks.

I'm not a big fan of switching to 3-4. The defense is actually playing as a unit and isn't missing that many pieces (DT and WLB). I guess its a possibility to switch, but the chances of getting a couple divisional pieces like Bryant and Campbell are zilch.
    The 2nd round RB is Lamar Miller. Hes actually really good. I love him. He is going to be a great NFL RB. I dont think its necessary to grab him so I'd prefer to go DT, CB, or OLB.

RKDfan is offline Registered User

David Stern is going to step in and say that we can't sign any of the above players mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Some problems. Owen Schmitt is on the Eagles, and wont be let go. I dont think Red Bryant will be let go either. And theres no chance that Calais Campbell is let go. Hes playing at a pro bowl level, and will be retained. But where do you get these ideas anyways? Was it perhaps my post on another thread?

I like the draft, other than the TE. I'd take an OLB.
    Hmm, thought Schmitt was still with the Seahawks.

There's actually a fair chance Bryant is let go. They've got a good rotation of players, and at least one of them will be gone.

Campbell is a stretch, but if he doesn't work out there's other linemen I have as back-ups.

I would take TE over OLB here. We're hypothetically moving to the 3-4 and we already have two great 3-4 OLBs in Long and Quinn, but only a young TE that hasn't done much and a TE made of glass.

And I read your thread, but I've been looking at Bryant for a while now. Your thread probably influenced the Campbell signing a bit, as I did not know he would be a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post

I'm not a huge fan of switching to the 3-4, but if we get a new coach who's scheme is a 3-4, it would definitely be interesting.

Lamar Miller in the second is an electrifying move IMO. It gives us much needed speed. Jackson will not outrun anyone now, and we lack speed and playmaking ability all across the offensive board.

And yes, the offense should be the focus here, because like I said, if we even had a TREMOR in the offense this year, we would have won games.

The 2nd round RB is Lamar Miller. Hes actually really good. I love him. He is going to be a great NFL RB. I dont think its necessary to grab him so I'd prefer to go DT, CB, or OLB.
    Like I said, he's a great RB. I looked at other positions at this round, but Miller has the edge on Devon Still (defensive tackle) and the various CBs and OLBs.

Quote Originally Posted by RKDfan View Post
    David Stern is going to step in and say that we can't sign any of the above players mentioned.
    Believe it or not, there's a reasonable chance. Carl Nicks will 90% be in a uniform not named the Saints next year. Red Bryant might get lost in the Seahawk's rotational line, and be free. Rudd will be gone from Tennessee. Not too sure about the Schmitt situation now. Lloyd will be back, if he feels like it's the right choice for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Hmm, thought Schmitt was still with the Seahawks.

There's actually a fair chance Bryant is let go. They've got a good rotation of players, and at least one of them will be gone.

Campbell is a stretch, but if he doesn't work out there's other linemen I have as back-ups.

I would take TE over OLB here. We're hypothetically moving to the 3-4 and we already have two great 3-4 OLBs in Long and Quinn, but only a young TE that hasn't done much and a TE made of glass.

And I read your thread, but I've been looking at Bryant for a while now. Your thread probably influenced the Campbell signing a bit, as I did not know he would be a FA.
    Totally forgot that we'd be switching to the 3-4 so yes, another OLB would be unnecessary. I'd like to look at two ILB's in round 2: Vontaze Burfict, I know you're high on him too, and Dont'a Hightower whos a beast.

Totally forgot that we'd be switching to the 3-4 so yes, another OLB would be unnecessary. I'd like to look at two ILB's in round 2: Vontaze Burfict, I know you're high on him too, and Dont'a Hightower whos a beast.

Oh believe me, I'm very high on Burfict and Hightower as an MLB in the 3-4. Pair them up with JLau, and you get the instinctive, smart technician who is all over the field, and then you get the huge aggressive thumper who will crush anyone and everyone.

I don't think you can go wrong with them or Miller, but to me, our offense needs way more help than our defense.

A productive offense with a subpar defense will win more games than a subpar offense with a productive defense.

We already have a decent defense, we just need to develop an offense that will actually average more than one TD a game.

Miller + Blackmon + Fleener would give our offense a whole new dimension and identity, and it excited me to think about.

However, thinking about Burfict just crushing fullbacks and centers while JLau sneaks in behind also satisfies me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast