BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Titus Brown would be a great late round pick up

I meant to bring this guy up earlier but it slipped my mind until I was reading some NW stuff and he brought up the fact that he loved the guy. I watched him play a lot in college and I think he could be a star, the only thing is finding what position to play him at, DE or LB. I think LB is the better fit for him which works out for us assuming Chillar leaves. Another advantage is he would be a key component to running more 3-4 schemes. Here's a little more about him:

MOBILE --
    A little undersized for a defensive end or a little too stocky for a linebacker? That's what former Mississippi State standout Titus Brown is attempting to debunk in front hundreds of coaches and scouts as this week's Senior Bowl moves along.

Brown and State coach Sylvester Croom both believe Brown can do play at either position in the NFL, and Brown said he thought this was the perfect time to start showing his ability as a hybrid player.

"I don't really see myself as just one set player," Brown said. "I can do a bunch of different things. I can play defensive end and I can play linebacker. So it really doesn't matter."

Whatever spot Brown played in college he excelled, especially in the latter years in Starkville. Brown tallied 170 total tackles with 37 tackles for loss. He also piled up 18 sacks with the majority of those coming while playing defensive end in the SEC.

The unexpected success last season for the Bulldogs certainly aided in Brown's notoriety.

"It just shows that when you get the right people in the program that things can go your way," Brown said. "Coming into an increased intensity level day in and day out in practice helped me improve as a player and helped the rest of the team."

He started 25 of his 44 career games with the Bulldogs at defensive end. The others he spent time at middle linebacker. That's one of the main reasons for the dilemma as the scouting combine and draft approaches.

Brown will look to prove that he simply fits on an NFL roster.

"It doesn't really matter to me what scheme I play in," Brown said. "As long as a team thinks I can fit into their plans, then that's what I'm looking for."

Brown said the vast majority of the teams to talk to him this week play a 3-4 defensive scheme, which would allow him to play the outside and use his tweener body type.

When it comes time for coaches to query Croom as to what kind of player Brown was while at State, it already sounds like Croom has his answer prepared.

"It's a great chance when you are going against some of the best players in the country and he showed that he can play on that level by being invited here," Croom said. "Titus is a natural pass rusher. He's shown that he can play linebacker and he has good linebacking instincts.

"He's plays with his head very well. He's got to get stronger to play against these big offensive tackles. Titus is a good football player and he's a competitor. He's getting an opportunity and I don't think there will be any question that he would be an asset for any NFL team."

Croom won't sugar coat Brown's weakness - strength as a defensive end.

"He's only been playing end for two years full time," Croom said. "But he's a little bit of a hybrid player. I think it's going to depend on the scheme. A 3-4 scheme he can play outside linebacker or an inside linebacker spot.

"He can definitely be a third-down pass rusher. It's all going to go just according to what people see him as in any particular scheme. He's also a definitely an excellent special teams player."

Brown said he expects to line up at end for this week and he'll use private workouts and State's pro day to make his pitch to play linebacker.

The 6-foot-3, 247-pounder has been projected as a mid-round pick in April's NFL draft. He's willing to add the weight to play defensive end or drop the weight to play linebacker.

But all it takes is one team to see Brown as a fit.

Senior Bowl notebook,

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Titus Brown would be a great late round pick up

Sounds intriguing to me.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

he showed up to the senior bowl at 239 pounds when he played at about 250 during the season

Mooselini is offline Registered User

doesnt sound bad at all

keith m. klink Guest

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE SECOND DAY PLAYERS THAT MAKES YOUR TEAM BETTER building through the draft. hope that he is one of those diamonds that we dig up once in a while . this could be that steal in the draft . a LB that could help with depth and ST . sign him up . give em a hat .