shroomysoup is offline Registered User

Todd McShay hates Jimmy Clausen

Saw this on Sportscenter. McShay vs. Kiper debating on where Clausen will get drafted. Kiper was praising Clausen, saying he is #4 on the big board and could go #1 overall.

McShay tells Kiper that he would not pick Clausen in the 1st round. He was good in Weis' system, but he doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws downfield. He says that Clausen isn't a good teammate and that no one on the team is going to miss him when he goes to the NFL. He just doesn't have the intangibles to become a good NFL QB.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Todd McShay hates Jimmy Clausen

From his own rankings:

3. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame junior. Gets away with putting the ball up for grabs too often. However, he has enough size, accuracy and arm strength to develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He has shown toughness and leadership this season, which were previously question marks on Clausen's scouting report. Experience in a pro-style offense and solid mechanics will only help him on draft weekend. Projects as a first-round selection.

shroomysoup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    From his own rankings:

3. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame junior. Gets away with putting the ball up for grabs too often. However, he has enough size, accuracy and arm strength to develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He has shown toughness and leadership this season, which were previously question marks on Clausen's scouting report. Experience in a pro-style offense and solid mechanics will only help him on draft weekend. Projects as a first-round selection.
    Interesting... got a link to this?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

From The Sporting News web-site:

Draft expert Todd McShay puts Clausen at No. 3 on list of pro-bound QBs

Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen will enter the NFL Draft this spring. ESPN's draft expert evaluates the draft prospects of Clausen and four other top QBs.

Jeff D'Alessio, Sporting News
    Monday, Dec. 7, 2009 - 11:29 a.m. ET

ESPN's Todd McShay ranks for Sporting News the top five draft-eligible quarterbacks in college football:

1. Jake Locker, Washington junior. Could benefit greatly from another season under coach Steve Sarkisian but it will be tough to say no to the NFL. Locker possesses exceptional physical tools -- arm strength, release quickness and mobility -- and he's shown enormous growth in one season of working with Sarkisian. Should be a top-10 pick if he elects to bolt for the 2010 draft.

2. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma junior. Shoulder injury has proven to be a setback. In addition to durability concerns, it robbed Bradford of the opportunity to show scouts what he can do behind a marginal offensive line. Bradford clearly has great accuracy when given time to throw. He also is a good athlete with leadership skills. But too many questions left unanswered could cost him a spot in the top 10.

4. Colt McCoy, Texas senior. Love his toughness and leadership skills. He shows touch and timing as a short-to-intermediate passer. But no quarterback in (Division I-A) has a lower percentage of his completions travel beyond 5 yards. That reeks of a system QB that might struggle to transition to the NFL. In addition, I have major concerns about his deep accuracy. He throws off-balance too much for my liking. I can live with drafting him as a developmental project in the second round, but first round is too rich for my blood.

5. Tim Tebow, Florida senior. He's obviously a sensational competitor and the type of guy you want on your team. But where do you play Tim Tebow? I will be shocked if he's ever a fulltime starting QB. We've never seen him catch or block, so it's tough to draft him as an H-back in the first couple of rounds. Sure, the Wildcat package is a possibility, but he's not very fast or elusive, and that's only a part-time role. Tebow will probably be taken in round 1, but I would not draft him before round 3.

He also debated Kiper on Tebow. Said he wouldn't take him before the middle of the first round and said he wasn't good enough to be a backup in the NFL. Kiper called him on it for why would you take him in the first round if you didn't think he was worthy of being a backup?

I actually agree with him on Tebow but 3rd is still being generous.

richtree is offline Registered User

You can't respect a guy that doesn't put Tony Pike ahead of Teabow.

Pike is probably the most accurate of all the QB's.

He was good size and potential to fill his body out more. Pike lacks overall strenghth and could be a little bit stronger with his arm. Mobility needs alittle work, but overall is better than McCoy and Teabow.

Bradford seems like he may have the most talent but injuries keep him down. Locker runs too much and doesn't have the poise to sit in an NFL pocket.

It seems to me that ESPN analysts always take the safe road on their early draft rankings because they want to have something to "REPORT" when guys begin to climb up the draft board via workouts / combine.

I remember everyone saying Hardy was a top 5 pick and now he is an after thought of the top 10.

I can't wait til the draft already !!!!!!!!

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

I hate clausen too...and kiper

Bradford if your gonna draft a qb first round...this guy was being talked about as the number 1 pick (over stafford and sanchez) before the national championship last year, now because he got injured, tried to come back (shows a lot of heart) no body wants him? labeling him injury prone? I'm not pretending to be a football expert but injuries happen to the best of players, if this guy checks out health wise, and devaney wants to go qb, Im saying bradford all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You can't respect a guy that doesn't put Tony Pike ahead of Teabow.

Pike is probably the most accurate of all the QB's.
    The problems with Pike are that he's completely in the spread offense, has horrible arm strength (actually has difficulty delivering intermediate route passes) and was almost beaten out of the job by a freshman. What exactly is to love about the guy? For all that, I'd rather develop Null.

And if Bradford is injury prone, Locker missed all of last season w/ injuries and part of his freshman year if I remember correctly. It was a fluke shoulder injury.