tdog08 is offline Registered User

Todd Mcshay new mock on if stafford don't go to lions you will be shocked

The SportsCenter producers posed this question to Mel Kiper and me earlier this week: How much of a shake-up would it be to the top 10 picks of 2009 draft if Detroit opted not to take Georgia QB Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick? It took only a few minutes of shuffling players around to realize how significant the difference would be. Here's how the top 10 unfolded on SportsCenter:

1. Detroit Lions -- Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    2. St. Louis Rams -- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    3. Kansas City Chiefs -- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    4. Seattle Seahawks -- Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    5. Cleveland Browns -- Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    6. Cincinnati Bengals -- Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    7. Oakland Raiders -- B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    8. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    9. Green Bay Packers -- Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
    10. San Francisco ***** -- Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

But why stop at the top 10? Below is Scouts Inc.'s projection of how things will unfold over the first two rounds in such a scenario, but before we get to the rest of the picks here are a few quick notes explaining some of the key differences: With Jason Smith going No. 1 overall in this scenario Crabtree becomes the better value pick at No. 2 for St. Louis, which needs a wide receiver as badly as it needs an offensive tackle. Seattle has greater needs, such as outside linebacker, safety and offensive tackle, but using the fourth overall pick on Stafford makes sense considering Matt Hasselbeck's age (33) and durability concerns. Raji is falling a bit right now because of some off-the-field concerns (weight issues, discipline, 2007 academic suspension) but a few teams will still be willing to take a chance on him in the top 15, including the Raiders at No. 7. I'm still not convinced the Jaguars will draft Sanchez at No. 8, but it would be much easier to pull the trigger if Crabtree is off the board. Missouri WR Jeremy Maclin is a victim of circumstance in this scenario, falling all the way to the Chargers at pick No. 16. San Diego has several bigger needs to fill, but Maclin is too good a value to pass up, and he could add a vertical element to that offense from the slot position. The run on wide receivers clearly will occur in the middle of the first round. With all of this in mind, here's a look at how the first day of the draft could unfold if Stafford is not the Lions' choice at No. 1: To see the entire Day 1 projection in this scenario; where other big names land in this scenario; how it could affect teams with big needs at specific positions; and which players would be the best remaining on the board after the second round, become an ESPN Insider.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-27-2009 at 02:00 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Todd Mcshay new mock on if stafford don't go to lions you will be shocked

i give up. I officially give the rip up. These guys just spout stuff off worse than a politician. They change around their picks so sheep like me will go surrying to their web site and come back here and act like I know something.

I know about as less as Todd McShay does. He knows absolutely nothing and that's exactly what I know. Nothing.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    i give up. I officially give the rip up. These guys just spout stuff off worse than a politician. They change around their picks so sheep like me will go surrying to their web site and come back here and act like I know something.

I know about as less as Todd McShay does. He knows absolutely nothing and that's exactly what I know. Nothing.
    Men in positions of power and influence often know nothing so don't fret,Tx.

my fav Rumsfeld quotation:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

You gentlemen are spot on! This is more media babble and Todd McShay is a master of it. In my wildest dreams I cannot imagine Devaney and Spags moving off the need to address our OL. The difference beween Smith and Monroe is very slight and even if Detroit opts for Smith, I think our FO drafting team will take the safest route possible and draft Monroe. I used to think we would take Curry, but the OL needs are too important and if you consider the contract signed by Jordan Gross you see the league values franchise LT's higher than LB's.

Just my humble thoughts on a sunny day in ***** country. Go Rams!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

very much a case of...
    "how far off the radar can i go with a mock to grab some attention"

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This one is funny!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

richtree is offline Registered User

Yeah, Mel Kiper wasn't always right, but at least he was consistent when he started this.

McShay just wants all scenerios , so he can have 20/20 hindsight

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He's like the guy who has 7 fantasy football teams and every skilled player on the field at any time is probably on one of his teams.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

I have a feeling that we like monroe more than smith so our pick probably would not be effected in this scenerio

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree 100% but what i would add is how the hype creates the self fullfilling prophecy because after they shuffle these guys around, they then proclaim that certain players are rising and others are falling, all because they changed their own boards!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

McShay couldn't carry the scooper for Nick's dog.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

You know Todd...if you, like most of the folks at Bristol, really have no flippin' clue what the Rams, or indeed the rest of the NFC West needs because you never bothered to do the research, or forgot they existed, just say so. We won't hold it against you. The same goes to Mel.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

The problem is is that they try to "project" different types of scenarios just to be different from everyone else. They know people get tired of reading the same mocks over and over again (even though they make the most sense) and they decide to put in some wild stuff when they haven't got a clue what each team really needs. They think it makes them smarter than everyone else just because they project a team to take a different player.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post

He knows nothing and gets paid probably millions=(