Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Todd McShay (Scouts, Inc./ESPN) re: Branch and the Rams

Maui, when it comes to the draft and all it's talk, I don't know "come here" from "sic em". Tell you what though, IF he's still available I'd jump on that pick in a heartbeat. I'd take him over Carriker and Branch.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Nearly every large true dt has motor questions. We heard them about Ngata last year and look how he turned out. As for Willis I think he is going to be a star but any linebacker we have is going to struggle until we fill the ut position. I think their are a couple of good things about Branch slipping down to us. If we take him he may be motivated to perform as he has been talked about negatively for the last two months. He will probably have a huge chip on his shoulder. Also this could be our last chance to see if we can get out of Kennedy. If the arrival of a high profile first round pick who is looking to take his job doesn't motivate him than nothing will.

sparker is offline Registered User

I have a question for all you Branchites.......if on the Rams final Draft Board they have stacked on April 28th they have Branch ranked the 22nd best player and no defensive lineman available still rated higher, should they reach on there board for Branch? Trade down? Take the BPA regardless of position still on there board?

I for one say unless they get a great offer from someone to trade down you take the best player available....even if he's an offensive player or Defensive back.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003
    Nearly every large true dt has motor questions.
    That is true. I was very anti-Branch until I read some comments from Pat Kirwan, which made me think twice:
    Alan Branch, nose tackle from Michigan: Branch is a top-10 pick in this draft yet, he doesn't have one ounce of "big-timing" us on the show. He can answer any question about technique and has remarkable recall of his opponents throughout college. The guy knows how to prepare and will never let his weight balloon up. He weighs 324 pounds but was once closer to 400 pounds in high school. He taught himself about nutrition and lives the game.
    I also thought I read something (can anyone verify this?) that said Michigan doesn't rotate their DTs during the game so Branch played nearly every snap for their defense. This could explain his "motor" problems, which might not be a big problem in the NFL if he gets a breather here and there.

:l

-jake-

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Two wrongs don't equal one right. ...Hmm, what if we could get Branch in and place him next to Kennedy in a 4-3 box? Hypothetically:

Adeyanju - Branch - Kennedy - Little

COLOR="yellow"]Kennedy realizes that Branch would be there for a good reason: to help him. Jimmy Kennedy needs help. Kennedy helps Branch help Kennedy. [/COLOR][/I]

Of course this is not a new concept. But it just may ratify and justify drafting Alan Branch and, hopefully, advance some peace of mind for the Rams defense.
    I totally agree. I do have one question for you. Will Hall start in place of Adeyanju, in your opinion? What if we take a Tim Crowder in the second?

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Think about this for a minute, How bout Hall-Carriker-Kennedy-Little. Then Haslett has the option to run a hybrid 3-4 defense part time with Carriker-Kennedy-Adeyanju with Little-Witherspoon-Tino-Draft.
    What do you think?

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    Country, I hear what your saying. But think back a few years ago. Everyone said Kennedy had all the skills in the world, a TOP 5 talent. He just seemed to lack motivation and that "good motor".

All he needed was some solid coaching and he'd be a stud...........now we all want to write him off and take the next player with the exact same LABEL. Yet we feel that's the right thing to do.

No one has a crystal ball, but just way to many similarities for me to ignore. maybe he IS the stud we need. Maybe the Rams have him rated #1 (if so by all means take him). I just won't be upset if we don't and he's sitting there. I'll assume they saw things they didn't like.
    Kennedy is 2" shorter, 10lbs. lighter, 7 reps lighter, and .3 of a second slower in the 40.

Kennedy does not have half of the physical abilities that Branch does.

And to the idea of running a hybrif 3-4 defense that won't work without a NT.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Will Hall start in place of Adeyanju, in your opinion? What if we take a Tim Crowder in the second?
    That could definitely be, BBQ! At this point or, rather during Training Camp, that left DE spot will practically be a toss up: Hall's veteran experience competing for the starter job with a young but promising Adeyanju. I would think that Hall has the edge right now. Numerically speaking, something like a "60% / 40%" in favor of the former Lion from Detroit.

Again, as a hypothesis (my Rams DL summer wish):

Hall - Branch - Kennedy - Little

As for Crowder in the second, absolutely! :r Tim Crowder or Brian Robison, either of these longhorn DL I think would be great to recruit there and then.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-06-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Format

Rambos is offline Registered User

Hall - Branch - Kennedy - Little
    What kind of pass rush would this produce?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm in the camp that you draft for the future and you use FA for the present.
    Ideally, that's the strategy. But whenever a team isn't able to address their biggest area of need in free agency, which the Rams did not do since they didn't sign an interior run stuffer, then it makes the strategy a lot harder to live by.

But think back a few years ago. Everyone said Kennedy had all the skills in the world, a TOP 5 talent. He just seemed to lack motivation and that "good motor". All he needed was some solid coaching and he'd be a stud
    Did Kennedy ever get that solid coaching? He played under the same guy that couldn't get anything from Damione Lewis and while Pickett showed up and produced in his final year, the jury was at best out on him as well until then. So at best Kollar's recent track record with our previous #1 DT picks was questionable at best, but more likely disappointing overall. Kennedy also struggled with injury problems, something you can't really factor in when trying to put his label onto Branch. Who knows what happens to Kennedy if he stays healthy.

I have a question for all you Branchites.......if on the Rams final Draft Board they have stacked on April 28th they have Branch ranked the 22nd best player and no defensive lineman available still rated higher, should they reach on there board for Branch? Trade down? Take the BPA regardless of position still on there board?
    If they have Branch ranked 22nd, then I would likely not select him at 13. My first preference would be to try for a trade down so that he'll be selected at a position of better value.

If he was rated, say, the 18th player, I probably would not have a problem taking him @ 13. But there comes a time when you can't ignore the gap in rankings and position, and I would suspect a gap of ten spots between your pick and where you have a guy ranked would qualify as a reach in terms of value.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Think about this for a minute, How bout Hall-Carriker-Kennedy-Little. Then Haslett has the option to run a hybrid 3-4 defense part time with Carriker-Kennedy-Adeyanju with Little-Witherspoon-Tino-Draft.
    What do you think?
    Kennedy can't even handle the nose tackle duties in a 4-3. How is he going to handle them in a 3-4?

As for the LB situation, Draft or Chillar would be the other ILB instead of Tinoisamoa. I still don't see anywhere in which Pisa really fits well in a 3-4 alignment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12