Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Top 25 Free Agents according to NFL.COM

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Top 25 Free Agents according to NFL.COM

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    All Pro? When did Fisher say that?

Let's see him play a full season without getting injured before we bestow upon him some lofty title like "All Pro"?

That comparison is idiotic. Saffold, who was replaced by Jake Long at LT, then by Barksdale at RT (hardly "unselfish" when you have no choice), isn't in the same zip code as Chris Long or Sam Bradford in terms of value to the team.

Mack is a top 5 player at his position. If the Rams could sign him, he'd be a big upgrade for the OL.
    About a month ago, and he made no mention of having to see him play a full season without getting injured.

Disagree that the comparison is idiotic.

My point is, you fight tooth and nail to defend Sam Bradford and his indefensible contract. Case and point, you say you need to see Saffold play a full season without getting injured, but you either didn't know or somehow forgot that he's played just 2 fewer games than Sam Bradford?

Why don't we hear about Sam needing to play a full season without getting injured? With his salary, isn't that at least a concern with you?

As for Chris Long, I haven't seen you advocating for Greg Hardy who's also one of the top DEs in the game. You've repeatedly shot down the notion of Clowney (who some say is a "once in a generation prospect") replacing him at half the price if that. Yet Chris still seeking his first probowl 6 years in. So it's not like he's set the world on fire.

To Chris' credit, he's been extremely durable and he is a good player, but like Bradford, his play hasn't caught up with his pay and probably never will. Unfortunately that's the reality of it, but it'd be nice to hear you admit it, once in a while.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-28-2014 at 08:39 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    About a month ago, and he made no mention of having to see him play a full season without getting injured.
    The only quote I found was the following:

“Rodger’s a tremendous athlete, and when healthy you could put him up there with some of the best in the league.” He even went on to say that Saffold’s future would be better at either guard position.

I don't see where he used the term "All-Pro" and, contrary to your assertion, he clearly qualified the statement and noted Saffold's need to stay healthy.

My point is, you fight tooth and nail to defend Sam Bradford and his indefensible contract.
    I did? I don't recall saying anything about Sam's contract other than noting that it was the market price for a first overall pick before the new rookie scale was implemented.

Case and point, you say you need to see Saffold play a full season without getting injured, but you either didn't know or somehow forgot that he's played just 2 fewer games than Sam Bradford?
    There are so many distinctions between Sam's and Rodger's situations, I doubt I could list them all, but here are a few:

Sam is not a free agent. Rodger is a UFA.
    Sam is a QB (most important position in the game). Rodger is an OG/OT.
    Sam started 23 consecutive games before his freak injury this year. Rodger's longest streak of starts over the past 2 years is 10 games.

Why don't we hear about Sam needing to play a full season without getting injured? With his salary, isn't that at least a concern with you?
    Yes, which is why I think the Rams should draft a young QB to groom behind him.

As for Chris Long, I haven't seen you advocating for Greg Hardy who's also one of the top DEs in the game.
    I don't share your view that Hardy is a superior player to Long. And, in their primary role as pass rusher, the numbers support my position.

Hardy had more sacks than Long in 2013. Long had more sacks than Hardy in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Over the past 4 years, Long has 41.5 sacks to Hardy's 33.0.

If you think it would be a good idea to sign Hardy to a mega-deal, while cutting Long (and creating a mountain of dead money), I suspect you'll be alone on that one.

You've repeatedly shot down the notion of Clowney (who some say is a "once in a generation prospect") replacing him at half the price if that. Yet Chris still seeking his first probowl 6 years in. So it's not like he's set the world on fire.
    First of all, I don't accept the "once in a generation" hyperbole. Second, my opposition to Clowney is primarily based upon my belief that the No. 2 pick would be better used to fill a need, rather than to bolster the team's strongest position.

To Chris' credit, he's been extremely durable and he is a good player, but like Bradford, his play hasn't caught up with his pay and probably never will. Unfortunately that's the reality of it, but it'd be nice to hear you admit it, once in a while.
    This thread is not about whether Bradford will play at a level consistent with his pay (I don't know if he will or he won't), or if Chris Long will do so (I'd say he's already pretty close).

Its about 2014 Free Agents.

I made the statement that, if the Rams had a choice between (A) signing Alex Mack, a top 5 center who has already been to multiple Pro Bowls, or (B) signing Rodger Saffold, an OG/OT who has shown some promise, but has been frequently injured, it would be a no-brainer for me.

Sorry if that somehow offended you.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-28-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only quote I found was the following:

“Rodger’s a tremendous athlete, and when healthy you could put him up there with some of the best in the league.” He even went on to say that Saffold’s future would be better at either guard position.

I don't see where he used the term "All-Pro" and, contrary to your assertion, he clearly qualified the statement and noted Saffold's need to stay healthy.

I did? I don't recall saying anything about Sam's contract other than noting that it was the market price for a first overall pick before the new rookie scale was implemented.

There are so many distinctions between Sam's and Rodger's situations, I doubt I could list them all, but here are a few:

Sam is not a free agent. Rodger is a UFA.
    Sam is a QB (most important position in the game). Rodger is an OG/OT.
    Sam started 23 consecutive games before his freak injury this year. Rodger's longest streak of starts over the past 2 years is 10 games.

Yes, which is why I think the Rams should draft a young QB to groom behind him.

I don't share your view that Hardy is a superior player to Long. And, in their primary role as pass rusher, the numbers support my position.

Hardy had more sacks than Long in 2013. Long had more sacks than Hardy in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Over the past 4 years, Long has 41.5 sacks to Hardy's 33.0.

If you think it would be a good idea to sign Hardy to a mega-deal, while cutting Long (and creating a mountain of dead money), I suspect you'll be alone on that one.

First of all, I don't accept the "once in a generation" hyperbole. Second, my opposition to Clowney is primarily based upon my belief that the No. 2 pick would be better used to fill a need, rather than to bolster the team's strongest position.

This thread is not about whether Bradford will play at a level consistent with his pay (I don't know if he will or he won't), or if Chris Long will do so (I'd say he's already pretty close).

Its about 2014 Free Agents.

I made the statement that, if the Rams had a choice between (A) signing Alex Mack, a top 5 center who has already been to multiple Pro Bowls, or (B) signing Rodger Saffold, an OG/OT who has shown some promise, but has been frequently injured, it would be a no-brainer for me.

Sorry if that somehow offended you.
    Not offended at all, appreciate the commentary and actually agree with a lot of what you said.
    RealRam, AvengerRam and Nick like this.

RealRam is online now Registered User

No doubt Alex Mack would be a great addition to the Rams OL, a great candidate. I wonder, though, how likely this acquisition is?

Alex Mack, C: 6-4, 311 lbs.; age 28; 5 years NFL experience; California

-

Pro Bowl center Alex Mack will give Cleveland Browns
    right of first refusal if he hits market

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
    December 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM,

CLEVELAND -- Pro Bowl center Alex Mack wants to return to the Browns, and will give the team right of first refusal if he hits the free agent market.

Asked if he'd give the Browns the chance to match or exceed any offer he receives in free agency, Mack said "Oh, absolutely.''

He also made it clear he wants to return to see the Browns turn things around.

"Being in Cleveland is nice,'' Mack told cleveland.com last week. "I have good friends on the team, I like the coaches, it's a nice place.''

As for whether or not he wants to hit the market, he prefers not to get into it.

"This is where I'm going to be mum on things,'' he said. "Most of it is trying to not get distracted during the season.''

Fellow Pro Bowl linemen Joe Thomas stressed the importance of re-signing Mack, the 21st overall pick in 2009.

"He’s one of the best centers in the NFL, and if we don’t bring him back, now we have a big hole to fill at center, which is one of the most important positions on the offensive line,” Thomas said. “And (on this) offense, the way we run it, (the centers) have a tremendous amount of responsibilities as far as directing the offense and the pass protection and the run blocking, even sometimes a greater role than the quarterback in the way that the offensive line and the tight ends are blocking everything.”

Like Thomas, Mack is an ironman on the Browns' line. In 79 starts, he hasn't missed an offensive snap.

"I think Alex is an outstanding player and he works awfully hard at it,'' said offensive coordinator Norv Turner. "He cares a great deal about it. He’s got a demanding job, and particularly, when you play three different quarterbacks and you have a lot of change, and playing the defenses we play, he’s got a lot of responsibility in terms of getting us into the right calls, right protections. So, he’s awfully valuable to this team.”

Mack also has quarterback Jason Campbell's vote.

"Alex is a really good young center,'' said Campell. "He’s very smart, he’s a physical guy. anytime you talk to other opponents, they always mention his name, they’re always like, ‘man, that center you all have, he’s a tough guy.’ I think that’s just a matter of respect he has around the league. (They have) a tremendous amount of respect for him.''

If the Browns don't re-sign Mack, he'll hit the market March 11 and figures to be one of the hottest commodities in free agency.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm with Rambos, I think Safety is a bigger need than Center at the moment and if I were the Rams I would push hard for either Jairus Byrd or TJ Ward. Just like OG's and Centers, Safeties don't tend to make premium money as far as positions go so we might be able to sign one of them tp a fair contract. Not too mention we just drafted Barrett Jones last year and he was a really good center in college, plus you can always grab a center in the draft.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

How come nobody has mentioned BJ Raji? I think he would be a monster for us. He has said that in Green Bay he was held back. Not sure how much it would take to get him but damn that would be a awesome front 4.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
    How come nobody has mentioned BJ Raji? I think he would be a monster for us. He has said that in Green Bay he was held back. Not sure how much it would take to get him but damn that would be a awesome front 4.
    After his initial seasons his play has tailed off. In addition, believe we have a similar type player in Brockers? We would probably want more of a pass rusher next to Brockers in the middle

Unspoken is offline Registered User

I agree it did taper off but I think that was due to the Packers wanting him to play more of a Run Stopper role. I think him and Brockers would be a amazing combo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12