btimsah Guest

Top 5 Issues That Must Be Resolved But Probably Won't...

• #1. Cornerback: Rams currently have the worst starting corners in the league and continuing to ignore this position will continue to cost us against the teams with good/great wr's. By the way, Otogwe has quietly become a top tier safety in the NFL. The only guy in our secondary opponents even remotely fear.
    • #2. Wide receiver: Torry Holt is slow. He's not the player he was in Martz offense. He can't go up for the catch or do anything after the catch. They should trade him. There I said it. Bennett is clearly a big possession receiver only. The Rams need to draft or sign a starter with SPEED and SIZE at this position. Stallworth would work. Add more exciting young guys and get them on the field!
    • #3. Center/Guard: To much "promise" that hasn't lived up to anything. Cognito is a head case who is all ready one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. Nobody inside has made a name for himself, outside of the Ram forums.
    • #4. Defensive End: Need someone to replace Little. They could move Carriker to end, and let Ryan man the nose in a 3-4. But that would make too much sense so it won't be done.
    • #5. Fullback: This position is hard to fill. But I do believe the best run blocking fb in the game is available...Lorenzo Neal.. Which is why we won't get him.

To address these positions I'd look at the following.

• #1. Wr from Oklahoma, Malcolm Kelley. The guy is going to be a star and they are in great position to get a pro-bowl wide receiver at an already slow and aging position.
    • #2. Sign a big time corner. (hahaha, yeah right!)
    • #3. Move Carriker to defensive end, Ryan to the nose position.
    • #4. Sign Lorenzo Neal.
    • #5. Sign two guards via free-agency, no matter the cost.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Top 5 Issues That Must Be Resolved But Probably Won't...

I completely disagree with moving Carriker to DE. He's been a great DT, and I don't think we should risk taking a great player away from that position.

For Receiver, I think we will fix the position. Remember who we have as OC. He wants some great receivers, Linehan's job is on the freaking line, so he's going to listen to what Saunders want.

Defensive End, I think we will be drafting one in the first round. Sorry all you Jake Long Fans, doesnt look like he'll be our pick. It comes down to Chris Long. If he isnt there, Gholston is going to be our pick.

Guard, well expect Faneca to be there by tomorrow.

My main concern is Fullback and Cornerback. I dont think they will be the ones not addressed. Lorenzo Neal has been around forever. I dont think he's worth it.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I completely disagree with moving Carriker to DE. He's been a great DT, and I don't think we should risk taking a great player away from that position.

For Receiver, I think we will fix the position. Remember who we have as OC. He wants some great receivers, Linehan's job is on the freaking line, so he's going to listen to what Saunders want.

Defensive End, I think we will be drafting one in the first round. Sorry all you Jake Long Fans, doesnt look like he'll be our pick. It comes down to Chris Long. If he isnt there, Gholston is going to be our pick.

Guard, well expect Faneca to be there by tomorrow.

My main concern is Fullback and Cornerback. I dont think they will be the ones not addressed. Lorenzo Neal has been around forever. I dont think he's worth it.
    And as usual, Lorenzo Neal is considered too old for Ram fans. We ALWAYS SAY THAT. He's the best lead blocking full back in the game!!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    • #1. Cornerback: Rams currently have the worst starting corners in the league and continuing to ignore this position will continue to cost us against the teams with good/great wr's. By the way, Otogwe has quietly become a top tier safety in the NFL. The only guy in our secondary opponents even remotely fear.
    CB is hardly the Rams biggest concern. In fact, the Rams DBs held up pretty well last year, considering the complete lack of a pass rush. I think the Rams could use a bit more depth at CB, but if we can get a couple of guys to pressure opposing QBs, we'll be just fine here.

#2. Wide receiver: Torry Holt is slow. He's not the player he was in Martz offense. He can't go up for the catch or do anything after the catch. They should trade him. There I said it. Bennett is clearly a big possession receiver only. The Rams need to draft or sign a starter with SPEED and SIZE at this position. Stallworth would work. Add more exciting young guys and get them on the field!
    Right. Trade Torry Holt. Its not like he can still give us 90 reception, 1,200 yard seasons. Oh, wait. Yes he can. The Rams definitely need one or two young guys with speed. But getting rid of Holt makes absolultely no sense at all.

#3. Center/Guard: To much "promise" that hasn't lived up to anything. Cognito is a head case who is all ready one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. Nobody inside has made a name for himself, outside of the Ram forums.
    The Rams need help in the interior O line, which is why they pursued Faneca and are apparently now looking at Jacob Bell. Not to mention that if the Rams take Jake Long, he may cut his NFL teeth at OG.

#4. Defensive End: Need someone to replace Little. They could move Carriker to end, and let Ryan man the nose in a 3-4. But that would make too much sense so it won't be done.
    Why do people keep bringing up the 3-4 like the Rams are going to change their base set? Every indication is that the plan is to use the 3-4 as a situational formation, not the base set. Given that, moving Carriker to DE is not the solution. The Rams absolutely need to add a pass rushing DE - but not to replace Little this year. Rather, they need one to line up with Little, Carriker and Ryan.

#5. Fullback: This position is hard to fill. But I do believe the best run blocking fb in the game is available...Lorenzo Neal.. Which is why we won't get him.
    Yes, we could use a blocking FB. Top 5 need, though? No.

To address these positions I'd look at the following.
    • #1. Wr from Oklahoma, Malcolm Kelley. The guy is going to be a star and they are in great position to get a pro-bowl wide receiver at an already slow and aging position.
    • #2. Sign a big time corner. (hahaha, yeah right!)
    • #3. Move Carriker to defensive end, Ryan to the nose position.
    • #4. Sign Lorenzo Neal.
    • #5. Sign two guards via free-agency, no matter the cost.
    No offense, but I am really glad you are not the Rams' GM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

...with the second pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select, Malcolm Kelly, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma.

ummm...sorry, but WR can probably be put underneath DE, G, C, ummm....SS, LB, Training and Conditioning Coach...

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    ...with the second pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select, Malcolm Kelly, Wide Receiver, Oklahoma.

ummm...sorry, but WR can probably be put underneath DE, G, C, ummm....SS, LB, Training and Conditioning Coach...
    ... and Head coach

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    • #2. Wide receiver: Torry Holt is slow. He's not the player he was in Martz offense. He can't go up for the catch or do anything after the catch. They should trade him. There I said it. Bennett is clearly a big possession receiver only. The Rams need to draft or sign a starter with SPEED and SIZE at this position. Stallworth would work. Add more exciting young guys and get them on the field!
    • #3. Center/Guard: To much "promise" that hasn't lived up to anything. Cognito is a head case who is all ready one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. Nobody inside has made a name for himself, outside of the Ram forums.
    • #4. Defensive End: Need someone to replace Little. They could move Carriker to end, and let Ryan man the nose in a 3-4. But that would make too much sense so it won't be done.
    • #5. Fullback: This position is hard to fill. But I do believe the best run blocking fb in the game is available...Lorenzo Neal.. Which is why we won't get him.
    1. Because yes, Brown and Hill are worse than, for example, Fred Bennett and Von Hutchins of the Texans. When you don't have a pass rush, your corners get exposed. It happens. Even Champ Bailey wouldn't have done well last year.

2. Because it makes sense to trade away the fastest receiver to 10,000 yards. Because it makes sense to trade him because he only still had an ok year last year when we couldn't get anything going on offense. No, this isn't Madden, you don't trade Holt for slowing down a bit. He's still better than anyone else we could bring in, even if he's lost a step.

3. There is such a thing as needing time to mature. Sometimes, things just need time to click. It could be this year, or it could be never, but with the tons of injuries last year, nothing could click on the O line. It's unfair to say that none of them have talent. That said, I do agree we need to look in the draft and 2nd tier free agents for the interior of the line.

4. You don't make any sense here. You say we need to replace Little(possibly true), and your solution is to switch to a 3-4. Ok, lets see what we'd need. We have a possible nose tackle, in Ryan. Wroten and Glover are not NT's, and so they need to be replaced as they aren't DE's either. Carriker would be a good 3-4 DE, and Adeyanju could be as well. James Hall doesn't really work, so he needs to be replaced. As for Little, if he's regained his quickness, he possibly could play as a rush LB, but chances are unlikely for that.

As for our LB's they're all undersized which you can't have in a 3-4, as evidenced by Vilma not working out for the Jets. So, I'd say we could keep Spoon as an OLB, but otherwise we need a whole new LB corps. So overall, you're asking for either a crappy played 3-4, or a whole overhaul of our defense. What is it? How about we play 3-4 on occasion to spook the offense, and mainly play a 4-3 with AC on the inside, Little on the outside and a new DE on the opposite side, hmm?

5. All about the cash, but I would go for Neal, yes.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Neal is the best lead blocker in the NFL for...what, another year or two at most? Why would you expose any cap space to a guy who won't be on the roster when you finally turn the team around? I too am glad you're not the GM; you remind me quite a lot of George Boone.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Neal is the best lead blocker in the NFL for...what, another year or two at most? Why would you expose any cap space to a guy who won't be on the roster when you finally turn the team around? I too am glad you're not the GM; you remind me quite a lot of George Boone.
    Because he doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires, and so he could play for more than just two years. Second, he would be acting like a 6th lineman whenever he's in the game. In case anyone didn't notice, our line needed tons of help last year. Last, who's to say that we won't turn the team around this or next year?

Your solution to our line problems is to suggest signing a fullback? If you really think that's the way to solve protection problems, I'm also glad you're not the GM.

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Because he doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires, and so he could play for more than just two years. Second, he would be acting like a 6th lineman whenever he's in the game. In case anyone didn't notice, our line needed tons of help last year. Last, who's to say that we won't turn the team around this or next year?
    Why do you say Neal "doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires"? Is it because he doesn't have many carries? I'd think that running into the hole head down and an intentionally taking on the biggest guy you find would be as bad as being the ball carrier.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'd gladly take Neal coming off a pro bowl season for a couple of years...
    I don't think he would really be too much of a cap hog either.

My two cents at least.

Who do we currently have as ouur FB? Is it just Leonard?

Spending money on a FB/TE at this point, when we need a WR, OT, and OG seems like an unwise choice. Could we use a guy like Neal? Maybe. But do we need him more than any of the above positions? Nope.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. We might not have the best corners in the league, but they are far from the worst. Did you see any Saints games last year? How about those Cardinals corners?

2. Doesn't the ability to catch a ball count for something? I can see how you might feel that it's time to get younger in the receiver corps. I can even see why you'd say we ought to trade Holt. But I don't think a guy like Stallworth would be an improvement.

3. Yeah, I hate it when we have all these guys on the team who have only been playing a year or two and have all of this promise. Incognito may be one of the dirtiest players in the game, but to his credit, he has played pretty well and has gotten some name recognition outside the Rams fan base. Not too much, but it's not like a whole lot of offensive linemen do become household names anyway.

4. How does moving to a 3-4 fix our pass rush? Ryan played well for a rookie, but technically he wasn't even the starter, and our outside linebackers are not exceptional pass rushers. The one thing our linebackers really don't do well is take on blockers, so to improve the defense you'd adopt a scheme with one less guy on the defensive line tying up those blockers?

5. I agree that we need a real fullback.

At the positions where we have young talent, you'd have us sign older guys with big names. At the positions where we have big names, you 'd have us cut them and bring in young guys. It doesn't seem like you're going to be happy either way.