Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By GolfnRAMFAN
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By DE_Ramfan
  • 1 Post By jmk321

Thread: The top 5 picks of the 2014 draft

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

The top 5 picks of the 2014 draft

I've been excited about this upcoming draft all season, and thanks to Shanahan and RGMe's ineptitude this year, the draft couldn't be sweeter for us Rams fans. I think the top 5 picks will be very interesting and here is my breakdown.

The top 5 order is: Texans, Rams, Jags, Browns, Raiders.

I assume that Bridgewater is coming out and right now would be the Texans pick. After him I think there are 3 elite prospects available; Clowney, Matthews, and Barr. I'm in the camp that would rather us not draft Clowney because of our strength at DE and not in favor of Barr because a first round LB will be leaving the field in Nickel. That makes Matthews the perfect prospect for us because of his elite status and fills a need, hopefully for 15+ years.

These first few scenarios assume the Rams hope to grab Matthews while trading down which is where the top 5 gets interesting. The Texans, Jags, Browns, and Raiders all need QB's. Bridgewater will be gone and after him it appears Bortles and Carr are next in line. After them, I think there is a slight drop off at the QB position.

So lets say the Browns view Bortles as elite but don't care for Carr, so they offer 1.4, 1.24ish and maybe another lower pick for 1.2. Thatd be great. BUT, perhaps the Jags feel the same was as this being a 2 QB draft and want in as well. We make the deal to go to 4 with the Browns and they take Bortles and we think we are sitting pretty for Matthews. Well I could then see the Jags trading back a few spots with maybe the Falcons and they come up and grab Matthews and we are then looking at Clowney and Barr. That would be a bummer.

I think a better trade for the Rams would be to trade the pick with Jacksonville if they can be pressured into it by the Browns. We would then still have full control of who we pick and grab some extra assets along the way. 2 years ago, the Browns went from 1.4 to 1.3 with the Vikings and game up a 4th, 5th, and 7th. Given the bidding war I think a 2nd could be had from the Jags, as well as a lower pick. We would then have 3 top 40 picks and wouldn't miss out on any elite prospect since the QB's will be the top 2 picks.

Now lets say the Rams aren't as high on Matthews as we are here on the board. The Raiders offer 1.5, a 3rd, and next years 1st for 1.2 to grab their future QB. That would guarantee us at least one of the above mentioned; Clowney, Barr, and Matthews and also the other OTs like Lewan or a WR like Watkins or Evans. And having a future draft pick from the Raiders isn't the worst thing since they still have lots of dead salary cap money and will probably struggle next year regardless of their new QB.

It will be fun to watch all of the develop but the two things we Rams fans need is for Bridgewater to declare, which it appears he will, and for 1 other QB to shine in the offseason.
    Rambos, Nick and RockinRam like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The top 5 picks of the 2014 draft

Derek Carr received mixed reviews at best for his performance in the Las Vegas Bowl, but I believe he'll be on display at the Senior Bowl and should do well in that setting. Manziel could be a wild card; there's talk that people in the Browns' front office like him, and they've been awarded the opportunity to be in attendance at Texas A&M's bowl game to see him in person.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Another point with a potential trade with the Browns is that the Rams and Browns have worked together before. As Peter King wrote in his story last draft when he was in the Rams war room, the Rams had a deal in place to move up to 6 to draft Tavon, but that was only if Mingo was off the board. It didn't work out because the Browns wanted Mingo, but I think it is good to see that the two GMs are willing to talk and get a deal done.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Ok I'm going to throw this out there. I agree with you about moving to far down and having someone move up and take Jake. How about this. We trade back one spot with the Jags for.... Justin Blackmon and a second. Ok before you hate it, think about it for a second.... Chris Carter had the same issues as Justin and over came those to be a HOFer. JB has already shown he is special even at this level. We are only moving back one spot and landing Jake and Blackmon and a second. Sure Blackmon may wash out but then he might not. The Jags have shown they can't manage the kid, why not make sure they get the best QB at 2.
    GolfnRAMFAN and Vinnie25 like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    Another point with a potential trade with the Browns is that the Rams and Browns have worked together before. As Peter King wrote in his story last draft when he was in the Rams war room, the Rams had a deal in place to move up to 6 to draft Tavon, but that was only if Mingo was off the board. It didn't work out because the Browns wanted Mingo, but I think it is good to see that the two GMs are willing to talk and get a deal done.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Rams and Browns key to first round
    By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    Dec. 30, 2013, noon.

2014 NFL Draft coverage: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Draft Order

Yesterday's conclusion of the NFL's regular season set the official order for the first 20 picks of the 2014 draft.

The order of the final 12 picks won't be determined until the playoffs end and the Lombardi Trophy is awarded.

Another important date for the NFL draft exists before the Super Bowl kickoff February 2, however, with underclassmen facing a January 15 deadline to apply for early entry.

The first round of the 2014 NFL draft won't occur until May 8 but that hasn't stopped Dane Brugler and I from already projecting which of those underclassmen may come out and which NFL teams will select them with these updated mock drafts.

While new coaching staffs and free agency will obviously play key roles in determining what transpires in May, at this early point it is already clear that the St. Louis Rams and Cleveland Browns - with two first round picks apiece - possess the ammunition to make big waves.

Ironically enough, by trading the No. 2 overall pick to Washington two years ago so that the Redskins could select quarterback Robert Griffin III, the Rams now own the second overall pick in 2014. They also possess their own first round pick, No. 13 overall.

The dual selections give general manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher plenty of options for a club considering the presence of "franchise" quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick in 2010 and a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate in pass rusher Robert Quinn. Would the Rams consider adding another quarterback to push the oft-injured Bradford? If the old adage that one can never have enough pass rushers in the NFL is true, could the Rams select Jadeveon Clowney and worry about playing time later for Quinn, steady veteran Chris Long and 2012 first round defensive tackle Michael Brockers later?

The answer could lie with the Browns, owners of the No. 4 overall selection and the Indianapolis Colts' pick, as well due to the trade of running back Trent Richardson.

While head coach Rob Chudzinksi served as a convenient scapegoat, the blame for the Browns' horrific 1-10 slide to end the 2013 season can largely be placed on poor play by its quarterbacks - a trio of ineffectiveness and injury otherwise known as Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer.

With the Houston Texans likely to select Teddy Bridgewater with the first pick (assuming he leaves early, of course), the Browns may be forced to jump ahead of the equally QB-needy Jacksonville Jaguars to assure that one of the top passers of the 2014 class will next play in Cleveland.

Until we know for who will be coaching the Browns, handicapping the odds as to who general manager Michael Lombardi's top choice would be is premature as there is no consensus among scouts as to who lies next in the quarterback pecking order.

Central Florida's Blake Bortles, Fresno State's Derek Carr and Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel could all be candidates, with the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Bortles perhaps making the most sense due to his NFL-ready frame and surprising effectiveness in the cold.

The Rams have clear needs along the offensive line and safety but it would be a surprise to see them go in that direction with their current picks. By trading down, however, they could fill key areas of concern at a more palatable price.

Along with quarterback and perhaps cornerback, the Browns also have some concerns along the offensive line and could use another receiver to complement or perhaps replace star Josh Gordon, who is just one failed drug test away from a year-long suspension.

Could the two power-players of the 2014 NFL draft work together to solve each of their needs? It is just one of the many hypotheticals to consider as we count down to May.

WANTED: Cornerback / Safety. Draft? Trade?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

The Browns should throw in an extra pick just for not letting them draft RG3.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Ok I'm going to throw this out there. I agree with you about moving to far down and having someone move up and take Jake. How about this. We trade back one spot with the Jags for.... Justin Blackmon and a second. Ok before you hate it, think about it for a second.... Chris Carter had the same issues as Justin and over came those to be a HOFer. JB has already shown he is special even at this level. We are only moving back one spot and landing Jake and Blackmon and a second. Sure Blackmon may wash out but then he might not. The Jags have shown they can't manage the kid, why not make sure they get the best QB at 2.
    If you were Les Snead would you take that risk? I don't think I would.

Go Rams!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I doubt the Raiders would draft a QB, especially with all the top ones already taken. I still think they'll give Pryor another shot, which leaves Matthews, Clowney, or Barr as the best options for them. As far as ATL trading up to get Matthews, I highly doubt that too. ATL can move the ball effectively (especially when they get Julio back), but what has killed them is a lack of a pass rush on defense. IMO if they trade up to select anyone it'll be either Clowney or Barr.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I would like to find out what he actually was suspended for if they were going to make this trade but if it was nothing too serious then this trade would be pretty great. The Rams should also get someone to teach Blackmon how to pass a drug test because from what I've read most of the league violates the drug policy.
    sosa39rams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I would like to find out what he actually was suspended for if they were going to make this trade but if it was nothing too serious then this trade would be pretty great. The Rams should also get someone to teach Blackmon how to pass a drug test because from what I've read most of the league violates the drug policy.
    I thought his problems were alcohol related. Didn't he have DUI's that got him in trouble?

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I thought his problems were alcohol related. Didn't he have DUI's that got him in trouble?

Go Rams!
    Yes, though he was ultimately suspended for PEDs.

THE DREAM TEAM